3 Point Log Skidder

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
A quick and safer method would be to weld 2 chains directly from the tongs that would connect to the drawbar.;)
photo2_zps75528c0d(1).jpg

phildac

Equipment
1984 B8200E, L260F
Jul 29, 2009
Wentzville, MO
N.I Wolfman,

I actually thought about doing that too, but didn't want to weld on the tongs. And I was worried about turning and the chain slacking on one side or the other if directly connected, or binding if running through a D-ring at the draw bar. I think having a single chain coming from the draw bar then going through the center of the tongs and then around the log would work best for me.

ditchpig

Equipment
L1511dt
Jun 12, 2014
beamsville
Hey I'm just finishing up my three point skidder this weekend all take pics of it. An some measurements for you if you'd like. I think I have. Less then 35 buck in to it a little. Savaging. An some mig wire N gas an you can make very costly things for next to nothing. All try an get the pics up tomorrow cheers

Last edited:

Tomcat

Equipment
B7000 4WD, RS1(?) rototiller, Konik 125 ATV
Nov 19, 2014
Thailand
Would be nice to see some pics of the finished rig (in operation!). I'm looking to build something similar to drag things around on my farm.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
I made a single axle pull type skidder rig that operates by gravity. you attach a clevis to a sloped rod, on the front tongue. you back into the log, and attach the chain, and as you pull forward, the clevis slides up the ramp, lifting the log, and transfers the weight to the wheels, which are schoolbus wheels, on an old sprayer axle. Right after I spent the time and money to make this marvel of redneck engineering, a customer gave me a 3 point logging winch. murphy's law of machine building, I suppose...:D

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I made a single axle pull type skidder rig that operates by gravity. you attach a clevis to a sloped rod, on the front tongue. you back into the log, and attach the chain, and as you pull forward, the clevis slides up the ramp, lifting the log, and transfers the weight to the wheels, which are schoolbus wheels, on an old sprayer axle. Right after I spent the time and money to make this marvel of redneck engineering, a customer gave me a 3 point logging winch. murphy's law of machine building, I suppose...:D
Sounds interesting- how about a pic or two?

ditchpig

Equipment
L1511dt
Jun 12, 2014
beamsville
here are some pics of what i just finished up this weekend the rack that the saw an oil an gas can are in slips in an out also the hoods off beacouse the bat died an all i had on hand was an massive marine bat so had to make do the slip in box is also for my next project a front receiver mount that hold a winch an the little rack my property up north has some nasty little hills an mud pits an i figured it always nice to have a spot to hold a saw& tools and a small cooler bag for the hot summer days :D 20150110_162033.jpg

ditchpig

Equipment
L1511dt
Jun 12, 2014
beamsville
i have a two more pics but cant up load them sorry i used an old house trailer tongue for the frame <-free had the blade off an old 4 wheeler plow i had built my dad never used it he made a snowblower waste of time on my part lol so that was free drove by scrap bin an asked if i can take some of the tube its 3/16 3x3 cost me 20 bucks found the chain on the side of the road score an the mesh was kicking around when my buddy made a trailer cost of that was a few beers going to see how well she works in the am painted it friday in the cold so i let it dry by side the wood stove all day

Attachments

Last edited:

pendoreille

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2620, fel, RB1560, Piranha Tooth Bar
Jan 2, 2015
Newport, WA
maybe looking at it wrong but most of pull is on top link. be careful u could go ass over tea kettle

ditchpig

Equipment
L1511dt
Jun 12, 2014
beamsville
i was thinking that too worst case all add some steel down a few inchs an put chain hook ups lower tomorrow will be the test run:eek::eek::eek::eek: an will see what the rework if any will be lol

pendoreille

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2620, fel, RB1560, Piranha Tooth Bar
Jan 2, 2015
Newport, WA
i was thinking that too worst case all add some steel down a few inchs an put chain hook ups lower tomorrow will be the test run:eek::eek::eek::eek: an will see what the rework if any will be lol
note my signature.......hmmm wonder where that came from

ditchpig

Equipment
L1511dt
Jun 12, 2014
beamsville
well tested it out today worked great no issues with it being top heavy the blade worked great for moving the logs around in to a row and for cutting im happy but the four wheel drive wasnt working :mad: so guess i know what the next project is :confused::eek::eek:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
ditchpig,
Looks like you did a good job at building it, and it sounds like your getting out of what you want.

The real reason that they put a "blade" on the back of a skidder is to keep the tractor from being pulled backwards when it's winching a log in, but since your using a chain not much purpose of the blade. ;)

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
I want a pair of those tongs for picking up granite boulders!

Where do you get them???

Found 'em... DUH! Amazon!!!