3 point hitch

JeffTractor

Equipment
Kubota 2610
Jan 23, 2024
Tomahawk, Wi
While using a Kubota 3 point hitch with a snowmobile trailer, when backing snowmobile from trailer 3 point went all the way up trying to break the rear glass. Is there a lock to prevent upward movement

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I am not sure about a lock…I’m not really sure what happened or caused your trouble…but there are some options.

1. Put the trailer ball on the draw bar.
2. Flip the latch on the tongue to secure the ball.
3. Whether using the 3pt or the draw bar to attach to the trailer, put (secure it) a chain over the trailer tongue to the draw bar so the trailer can’t pop off.

Reactions: 1 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
While using a Kubota 3 point hitch with a snowmobile trailer, when backing snowmobile from trailer 3 point went all the way up trying to break the rear glass. Is there a lock to prevent upward movement
Thtee point hold down stay bars been around since Harry invented the 3pt hitch.

Dan

download (4).jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
Plus 1 for drawbar not a lot of upward weight on most sled trailers.

Reactions: 1 user

madplanter

Equipment
2620 w loader/backhoe/mower
Jan 8, 2024
Pa.
theres a little clip you're supposed to use if you have a mounted backhoe to keep the hitch in the down position. That would probably work.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Use a check chain from the three point to the drawbar.

Reactions: 4 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Don’t attempt what I did when I used a check-chain on my 9N…. The chain was stronger than the lift-arm and fractured the cast-steel arm.

Attachments

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Don’t attempt what I did when I used a check-chain on my 9N…. The chain was stronger than the lift-arm and fractured the cast-steel arm.
Mine too. 8N, Same braze.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I’m not really sure what happened or caused your trouble…
It sounds like the trailer was hooked up to a receiver on a 3-point hitch, and as he backed up the snowmobile, to presumably move it off the trailer, he created negative tongue weight which raised the receiver and the 3-point. Doesn't sound like fun.

This King Kutter receiver has a chain to prevent the 3-point from lifting up. I bought a used one for $50 but it was missing the chain so I added one.

king_kutter_02.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
This (a method of holding the 3-pt hitch DOWN) is a matter of SAFETY when towing a trailer, not only for the prevention of equipment-damage…but for PERSONAL and PERSONNEL Safety. The typical “Hay-Ride” scenario with riders in the trailer come to mind…. The 3-pt on most tractors have NO DOWN force and when the tractor is Braked… or when towing down a slope… the 3-pt can allow the trailer tongue to OVER-RIDE the tractor… DUMPING the passengers …and the trailer tongue perhaps disengaging-the-ball and Injuring the Driver.
It also can lift weight off the tractor’s rear wheels Reducing braking and De-stabilizing directional control.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Gaspasser

Equipment
L6060, FEL, forks, front snowblower. KX033 mini ex. Dump truck, Husqvarna saws.
Dec 16, 2023
NH
Have read multiple posts here on the forum regarding towing and having the 3 point hitch rise up causing potential damage or injury. I ordered my new tractor with a rear remote (at the suggestion of a tractor friend) with the idea of adding a hydraulic top link to add down pressure to prevent this from happening. But as i think about it, seems like if a "solid" top link won't prevent this, then a hydraulic top link wouldn't either. Am i correct and do I still need to chain down 3 pt to drawbar when towing? Thanks.

Sawdust&Shavings

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1870,LA203A,BX6315,BX2767,RCK48-18BX,GCK60-23BX
Apr 25, 2023
Stafford, VA
Have read multiple posts here on the forum regarding towing and having the 3 point hitch rise up causing potential damage or injury. I ordered my new tractor with a rear remote (at the suggestion of a tractor friend) with the idea of adding a hydraulic top link to add down pressure to prevent this from happening. But as i think about it, seems like if a "solid" top link won't prevent this, then a hydraulic top link wouldn't either. Am i correct and do I still need to chain down 3 pt to drawbar when towing? Thanks.
Use a chain

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: I ordered my new tractor with a rear remote (at the suggestion of a tractor friend) with the idea of adding a hydraulic top link to add down pressure to prevent this from happening

1st.....Top link has NOTHING to do with 'down pressure'

2nd, you use a chain,attached to the drawbar mount or rear axle to prevent 3PH from going up

Very few small tractors have 'down pressure' on their 3ph setups,but it is GREAT when you have to change rear tires !

Gaspasser

Equipment
L6060, FEL, forks, front snowblower. KX033 mini ex. Dump truck, Husqvarna saws.
Dec 16, 2023
NH
re: I ordered my new tractor with a rear remote (at the suggestion of a tractor friend) with the idea of adding a hydraulic top link to add down pressure to prevent this from happening

1st.....Top link has NOTHING to do with 'down pressure'

2nd, you use a chain,attached to the drawbar mount or rear axle to prevent 3PH from going up

Very few small tractors have 'down pressure' on their 3ph setups,but it is GREAT when you have to change rear tires !
Thanks Jay. Once again, you come through with great advice. Much appreciated sir!

SRRGC1

Equipment
BX1870-1, BX23S TLB, RTV XG850, MX5100DT
Jan 6, 2021
Bloomsburg
As others have said, the three 3pt will float up if not secured down. Two options, use the draw bar for trailers, which is the safest or place something under the rear of the trailer, blocks/jack, etc. to support the rear of the trailer while loading/unloading preventing it from raising the 3 pt. Same goes for when loading heavy equipment with trucks. Trailers if not supported properly in the rear can also raise the rear of the tow vehicle. You will see some trailers have jacks on either side of the rear or use ramps with supports to prevent this.

ferguson

Equipment
L3130
Jan 19, 2022
w.v.
Geo i have a ferguson to20 for parts i am running another to20 for mowing but will part with parts like that PM me if interested will talk on the phone

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Geo i have a ferguson to20 for parts i am running another to20 for mowing but will part with parts like that PM me if interested will talk on the phone
Thanks, “Fergie”…. but since it was cast-steel it was easy to weld it back together …and it held for 5 more years until I gave the tractor back to Ol’Gar (who had given it to me, and also participates occasionally here in OTT Forums)… and he sold it to a fellow “Looeasyana” man who’s doubtlessly enjoying that old Ford. (I’d re-sleeved the engine w/new pistons, rings, bearings, and converted it to 12V alternator and installed a “Zane Thang” position-control… I mowed 20+ acres with that tractor for 15 years and it was a real godsend for a first tractor.
Thanks again for the offer and information!