2360 Not Running In Cold

Trail

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, 60" Deck, Rear Blade
Dec 11, 2016
Wisconsin
BX2360 stored outside in Wisconsin (under deck, tarped). It's been cold, around zero and negatives for days. Today it's around 14F. Did not have engine warmer plugged in.

Started fine, then goes into convulsions. Shakes violently until it dies. Idles around 1000 and unresponsive to increase / decrease / gas. Does this in high, low and neutral.

We are due for really cold weather and I know the diesel is probably from October, and most likely before any gel treatments had been added. I had about half a tank of this, so yesterday put in fresh diesel with some treatment added in.

This has happened at some point every year, but this time it is shaking so bad I'm worried about trying to let it run to see if it gets past this.

I suspect this is a gel issue but would appreciate feedback. Assuming it is, do I have options to get it past this? Where it is right now would be difficult to even get it out for maintenance.

Thanks in advance.

windzer

Equipment
Bx2370-1
Dec 8, 2015
Illinois usa
Sounds like gelling get you some diesel 911power service and dump in the tank ought to get you lined out then start treating your fuel with the white power service that's the articblend that should stop future gelling issues hope this helps

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Sounds like gelling get you some diesel 911power service and dump in the tank ought to get you lined out then start treating your fuel with the white power service that's the articblend that should stop future gelling issues hope this helps
What Windzer said - does sound like gelling - might ought to check the fuel filters too.

Trail

Equipment
Dec 11, 2016
Wisconsin
Thanks for the responses.

I had put some diesel treatment in with the bout two gallons I just put in (the last of that brand I had). I have some different stuff, but everything I am aware of reads to mix it with the gas before it's put in the tractor. Am I okay to use a different brand and pour some right into the tractor? Whether it's arcticblend or something else? Or is there something that is specifically made for that I should look for?

Just for clarification what I'm asking is it ok to mix different types of diesel treatment?

Is it ok to pour it right in my tank (even if it reads to mix with diesel beforehand)?

I changed both filters fairly recently.

*** Edit ***

Ok so I took some of the anti gel stuff I had, poured it in, she started up, coughed once and is purring right now. So hopefully what I did was ok. I thought it would have taken a while to get through but it was pretty immediate.

I have to be more careful and make sure there's treatment in the diesel. I will check out the arcticblend.

Thank you.

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
"I am aware of reads to mix it with the gas before it's put in the tractor"

I hope you meant "gas" as in diesel? Many of folks say gas....and pour diesel.....then there are a few that say gas.....and poured gas!:D;):)

Trail

Equipment
Dec 11, 2016
Wisconsin
"I am aware of reads to mix it with the gas before it's put in the tractor"

I hope you meant "gas" as in diesel? Many of folks say gas....and pour diesel.....then there are a few that say gas.....and poured gas!:D;):)
What!? I thought the octane in gas was good for gelled up diesels!!! :D Just kidding. Good catch. I will admit this is my first diesel anything (had it a few years) and I'm guilty of mixing up those words still. :)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Do your tractor a favor and get a Block Heater! ;)

Trail

Equipment
Dec 11, 2016
Wisconsin
Do your tractor a favor and get a Block Heater! ;)
I do have one but didn't have it plugged in. Should of but wasn't planning on using it. The block heater won't help with the gelling issue (which I don't plan on having again) would it?

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
If entire machine was tarped and block heater plugged in, i wouldnt be suprised if it helped with the gelling issue. 911 additive is whats popular up here.i think i should get some, but i had it running yesterday -25. 200watt oil pan heater and battery charger to warm it up.

Listening to the old guys at the round table in the coffee shop-adding some premium gas to storage tank to prevent gelling. Yes i said gas.
I wouldnt,but i guess in remote locations you learn to solve problems with what you have on hand.
Back in the way back days,draining oil and coolant and keeping it inside beside the fire was the only way to guarantee a start in the morning. Kerosene was the anti-gel.
That was from a story from an old departed friend,tractor started with a shotgun shell.

Trail

Equipment
Dec 11, 2016
Wisconsin
^ Funny 911 is actually what I used (the 2nd time when I poured it right in).

I need and want a garage or shed. I have no real outbuildings. For now, it's under the deck and I tarp it. The tarp does not cover it completely, just enough to keep the snow off the top. That is intentional for the very reason you mention.

Interesting story. Yes, it's good to listen to elders with experience.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
I hope you wern't using Sta-Bil biocide. I made the mistake a while back in summer using it for fear of growth of bugs. It probably was the reason I had all sorts of filters plugged, etc. I notice that at 40 degrees it even gelled so bad it would not pour. Here in Portage, WI the BX will get a chance to work in temps below zero tomorrow AM. Hope you are warmed up for that.

Trail

Equipment
Dec 11, 2016
Wisconsin
^ I do not think I've ever used that. That sucks though. Sorry to hear that.

You'll be out in Portage in AM huh? You're braver than me. I just came in for the night, and hopefully won't be out much tomorrow. Got plowed what's going to get plowed by me. Shovled. Whatever continues to fall can wait. Brought in some extra wood. I hope I don't have to step out in what's coming. I was just out in this for a couple hours and it actually felt fine. Should start to plummet soon.

Anyway, the tractor worked great and I appreciate all the suggestions.

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
This stuff is all greek to me....I feel sorry for y'all in the great white North. But at the same time I like to watch threads like this because it's knowledge that would otherwise be foreign to me.

SDMauler

Equipment
2009 BX2360TV60, RCK60B-23BX
Aug 8, 2014
Parker, SD
That's exactly how my 2360 acts when the diesel is starting to get slushy. The gas station says the diesel is a 50/50 mix this time of year, but I suspect it's somewhat less #1 and more #2 in order to make a few more cents per gallon. I usually just buy 5 gallons of #1, and dilute what's left in the tank. I park mine in one of those tarp tents, so when it's really cold, I usually put the propane "Bat-mobile" heater on it for a half hour before I try to start it. It just has to be warm enough to keep things liquid!