2016 Nissan Rogue S Electrical Gremlin

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Shot in the dark. There’s some smart folks here.

2016 Nissan Rogue S.

Son’s car. 4 cylinder, I don’t know displacement. About 70k miles. Very good shape. Had it over a year.

Couple months ago, it just died/quit. First thought was alternator, but blew fuse to ECM such that didn’t throw a code.

Put a coil pack on and that again blew quickly. Blew the case of the coil apart. Same blown fuse, no code. The mechanic thought maybe a bad new part....wasn’t so.

The friend/ dealer/ mechanic we bought it from really struggled troubleshooting it... he got stranded himself once test driving it.

Replaced all coils and spark plugs....Victory!!!...ran just fine for 3 months.......until last night.....:mad:

Thought maybe bad spark plug was causing short to head....once plugs were replaced, all good....until last night.

Seems to be an obvious dead- short that happens at random.

Coils are fed 12v battery voltage, plus 2 or 3v from ECM.

He’s away at college, so I don’t have it nearby. He had it towed to a Nissan dealer....

Any suggestions, or knowledge of similar Nissan issues?

Last edited:

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Shot in the dark. There’s some smart folks here.

2016 Nissan Rogue S.

Son’s car. 4 cylinder, I don’t know displacement. About 70k miles. Very good shape. Had it over a year.

Couple months ago, it just died/quit. First thought was alternator, but blew fuse to ECM such that didn’t throw a code.

Put a coil pack on and that again blew quickly. Same blown fuse, no code.
Replaced all coils and spark plugs....Victory!!!...ran just fine for 3 months.......until last night.....:mad:

The friend/ dealer/ mechanic we bought it from really struggled troubleshooting it... he got stranded himself once test driving it.

Seemed to be an obvious short that happened at random.

Coils are fed 12v battery voltage, plus 2 or 3v from ECM.

Thought maybe bad spark plug was causing short to head....once plugs were replaced, all good....until last night.

He’s away at college, so I don’t have it nearby. He had it towed to a Nissan dealer....

Any suggestions, or knowledge of similar Nissan issues?
Does he drive many dirt roads with it? My buddies Nissan truck started acting up but it trough
a code, can't remember what right now. He took it to the dealer and they told hill what the code was and that it would cost $1400.00 to fix. He told me the code so I looked it up and it was an easy fix, the charcoal filter was plugged with dust along with a couple of the hoses so I took it apart and blew it out, been working great for over a year now, didn't cost him a cent. Without a code, pretty hard to tell. I'll see if he can remember the code and if he can I'll let you know. You may want to watch this video.

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Thanks for that bear.
He doesn’t drive dirt roads.
He’s had it shut down on the NYS Thruway, and last night was turning left entering a 4-lane Avenue....thing shut down. He said it was a little dicey for a minute.....
In his case, there’s fuses blowing as if a short is happening.
He’s now a little spooked driving it. Honestly, can’t say I blame him.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Thanks for that bear.
He’s had it shut down on the NYS Thruway, and last night was turning left entering a 4-lane Avenue....thing shut down. He said it was a little dicey for a minute.....
He’s now a little spooked driving it.
sounds pretty close to what other people were saying in the video.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Have a good friend who works at the Nissan Tech center in Farmington Hills, he's a design engineer. I'll aske him about it when I see him next week.

Reactions: 1 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
sounds pretty close to what other people were saying in the video.
It does.

What I couldn’t discern was if something was shorting out.

Given it’s a news story, probably not to be expected.
Really appreciate it!

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Thanks for that bear.
In his case, there’s fuses blowing as if a short is happening.
He’s now a little spooked driving it. Honestly, can’t say I blame him.
Do you know what fuse it is? I can look at the wiring diagram Monday when I get to work.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Have a good friend who works at the Nissan Tech center in Farmington Hills, he's a design engineer. I'll aske him about it when I see him next week.
Thanks Flip. Appreciate it.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Do you know what fuse it is? I can look at the wiring diagram Monday when I get to work.
Ford - been since June/July, but I think our guy said it was the “main fuse to the ECM.”
When that blew, it didn’t allow the ECM to record an error code, as it was “off.“

So when he plugged in, there wasn’t any codes to help diagnosis.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Ford - been since June/July, but I think our guy said it was the “main fuse to the ECM.”
When that blew, it didn’t allow the ECM to record an error code, as it was “off.“

So when he plugged in, there wasn’t any codes to help diagnosis.
I will look Monday, I can’t get in to our all makes program at home.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I will look Monday, I can’t get in to our all makes program at home.
No sweat....thanks for the help. The car has been towed to a Nissan dealership near his place at college, so hopefully we’ll find a solution.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
RCW, read #21 at the following link: CLICK HERE FOR LINK
Good find but now to find it. Some guys are great at diagnosing wiring problem but I'm not one of them. I had an old 67 Camaro way back and the wiring harness chafed going through the fire wall, what a pain in the butt that was to find.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
really need to know WHICH fuse.....it could be powering 2-3 'things', 'somewhere',.....sigh.
A wire with slice insulation could be the culprit,makes a LOT of sense to me, the 'randomness' of where/when it happens...
Wife's 2019 QashQai( baby rougue) would either not start or keep running!(with key in house) Car only has 3000 miles on it, REAL key ( NOT 'push start tech'), dealer was USELESS. I ended up figuring out it was a bad connection from the dealer installed,Nissan remote starter package.CAN bus( the computer communications system) is a PITFA and not what should be used 'under the hood'.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Yeah Jay, I can foresee a little nightmare coming. At least with it at a dealership my hope is maybe if there’s a service bulletin out it may help.....maybe...😳
As it quit and isn’t running I’m assuming the same scenario played out so they’ll see what fuse blew. That should also help narrow down what part of the harness to look at.....I hope....
Tough part is he bought this “better” car with hopes of having it several years.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Update : About 0900 today my son sends me a text.

Dealership is replacing ECU, hopefully by tomorrow.

My first thought was that was quick! Heck, it was dropped Saturday after they closed. They had it less than 2 hours today...

Geez, you don't replace an ECM on a whim... 😳

Second thought was how much is that gonna cost?!?!? 😫

Couple minutes later he sends another message - - covered by warranty!!😀

Wondering if there's a known issue - that's why so quick?!?!

Hopefully they got it right..….

Last edited:

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Update : About 0900 today my son sends me a text.

Dealership is replacing ECU, hopefully by tomorrow.

My first thought was that was quick! Heck, it was dropped Saturday after they closed. They had it less than 2 hours today...

Geez, you don't replace an ECM on a whim... 😳

Second thought was how much is that gonna cost?!?!? 😫

Couple minutes later he sends another message - - covered by warranty!!😀

Wondering if there's a known issue - that's why so quick?!?!

Hopefully they got it right..….
Gotta start somewhere 🤣 (yes thats very sarcastic) Good news it its covered under warranty. Looking at the wiring diagram though I would be very surprised if that fixes it. I also didn’t see any messages like it was a common issue.
Has it ever been in a collision, mainly in the front?