100lb propane tank in the FEL?

jadey

Equipment
BX1880
Nov 22, 2017
Annapolis, MD
Hello everyone!
Anyone have a unique way to transport a 100# propane tank in the FEL? Have to transport it from the truck to the back of the house. Right now it’s a bit wobbly with a ratchet strap. Need to lift it otherwise I’d do something on the 3point. It’s a BX1880.

Thanks!

John

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I am sure as you know - turning that container sideways is a bad idea. Is it possible to place something on either side of the container as you strap it in? Do you have hooks on both sides of the bucket?

whatever you do.....keep it low!:)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Pallet forks and tank strapped to the pallet would be the best choice.

If you only have a bucket make a metal or wood basket for for the tank, strap the tank to the basket then strap the basket to the bucket.

How high do you need to lift it?
If it's just out of the truck to the ground, then lift it by the guard on top.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Great point, yes upright of course! No hooks yet, will certainly be an ad on...
If you have any scrap wood around .....make a box that has two legs sticking left and right - this box will allow the container to sit in the bucket, but not allow it to slide left or right as the box will not be able to move due to the legs.

Something like this:

Attachments

sthoms

Equipment
B2601
Mar 26, 2020
Parkdale, OR
You can transport propane horizontally. Just needs to be secured.

Note, the internal pickup can be either vertical or horizontal. You must use the tank in the same orientation as the internal pickup.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: ...Right now it’s a bit wobbly with a ratchet strap

A rachet strap, as in just, ONE strap ???
That's a bad idea...

Three straps, one to the left side ,one to the right side, one to back of bucket.
A well secured load can be carried darn near anywhere.....
keep LOW to the ground during transport though..

gasman

Equipment
2380 loader ,blade
Sep 16, 2011
delawere us
You can transport propane horizontally. Just needs to be secured.

Note, the internal pickup can be either vertical or horizontal. You must use the tank in the same orientation as the internal pickup.
You can’t lay a full tank down as the relief valve is made to relief vapor pressure
And will freeze with liquid and cause the tank to blevi

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
You can’t lay a full tank down as the relief valve is made to relief vapor pressure
And will freeze with liquid and cause the tank to blevi

Can you further explain how this could cause a BLEVE without any other physical input? I also don’t understand how the LP would be cold enough to freeze when JB a static state. Sure, the side of the tank will frost up when you’re using a lot of fuel, but that is during an active time inside that tank. When you’re done with the gas use, the frost melts off. Pressure in the tank keeps the liquid in a liquid state, while at room temperature. Like a pressure cooker, but with a liquid that boils much cooler than water. I’m not a propane guy, but I believe that if the pressure in the tank we’re to exceed the relief valve’s opening point, it would squirt out liquid propane. This would obviously turn to a gas at outside temps and atmospheric pressure.

I believe that it would be best to transport the tank vertically, but can’t figure out why horizontal would be bad. Think on a much smaller scale. We’ve all transported, and possibly used, the little 1# Coleman cans in an orientation that placed the relief valve below the level of liquid.

My vote is to lay it in the bucket, strap it down snug, and put it where you need it. I always like to learn, so I’m interested to see how this works out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Palmettokat

Equipment
M6800, B2710, L6060, Volvo 5 ton excavator and implements.
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina
Boiling liquid expanding vapor explosion - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BLEVE

A boiling liquid expanding vapor explosion is an explosion caused by the rupture of a vessel containing a pressurized liquid that has reached temperatures above its boiling point. Because the boiling point of a liquid rises with pressure, the contents of the pressurized vessel can remain liquid so long as the vessel is intact.

gasman, if this is correct if then the issue happens "if" the tank ruptures. Is that the only way it could happen? If the tank is upright and ruptures would it not also create a BLEVE? Is there any way rupturing the tank could be expected to happen just because it is transported horizonal? Can't help but wonder how many 20 pound tanks have been hauled that way, even rolling around. Not recommending that at all but the way have seen people load them with not placing in any way to hold them upright. I had a brother in law who did fish fries. He used a 100 pound tank and he would haul it 125 miles from his house to ours many times and he never had an issue. Maybe due to no relief valve or regulator. Not saying that was wise, no relief valve or regulator. He used that set up for many years and for many fish fries. Not saying you are not correct. Well need to tell a son in law to quit hauling them laying down also and guess the company who fills his tank does not either know the danger or does not care. He does get it filled at a distributor and not a retail location.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Gee, I haul all my welding bottles laying down in the bed of my pickup truck, never an issue. Of course I only use them vertically. I don't see where moving a propane bottle is any different. You aren't using the liquid inside, just moving it.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Gee, I haul all my welding bottles laying down in the bed of my pickup truck, never an issue. Of course I only use them vertically. I don't see where moving a propane bottle is any different. You aren't using the liquid inside, just moving it.
I hope that if you lay your acetylene bottle down you stand it upright for a few hours before you try to use it again. If it dispenses liquid it can be the end of you.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I hope that if you lay your acetylene bottle down you stand it upright for a few hours before you try to use it again. If it dispenses liquid it can be the end of you.
Of course I do. It's 'absorbed' of course.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I hope you realize this was posted in 2018. I hope the tank is installed by now.

gasman

Equipment
2380 loader ,blade
Sep 16, 2011
delawere us
A relief valve on a LP tank is sized accordingly to vent off vapor at a rate to keep the tank from being compromised but my venting off liquid you’re not relieving the pressure in the tank just removing liquid The liquid in the bottle is still creating pressure that needs to be relieved in the event of why the tank will fail