10 Foot Re-purposed County Plow

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Added a Bobcat style 2 pin plate to carry the plow on the front of my M9. Also included the pictures of the added hydraulic lines and the disconnects so I can remove the loader if necessary plus the hookup out back for powering the power angle Use the top remote (non detent) for angling the plow.

10 foot wide and around 1000 pounds. The cutting edge alone (which I replaced) was a tad over 100 pounds.

Have it just in case...:D No snow yet.

Like my new camera too. Takes nice pictures...:)

Obviously not for a small tractor but I'm sure the M9 is up to the task. Probably use it mostly on the road out front. It's a mile to the pavement. Need to add some sissy sticks to the plow and a rubber top flap but that can come later. I have the same setup on the 105 so I can use either if necessary.

Paid 800 bucks for the plow, delivered.

Attachments

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Now that I have a real working camera I promise I'll do hay pictures this summer too. The everyone can see how I earn my mad money..:D

The chipper in the background in the one picture is for sale, I posted it in the for sale section of the forum.

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
I've been looking for a 10 footer to make up like you did yours that would make clearing a path out to the road a lot quicker then the one I'm using now but they go for a lot more money around here. I'm hoping to get lucky and snag one for a good price like you did some day.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Nice!!! While I'd like to see that rig plowing through the drifts, you just keep pulling it out where the snow gods can see it, and they can go elsewhere besides mid Michigan :D

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Came by that one per chance. Was sitting outside the county garage, no for sale sign or anything but I thought I'd ask and it was. I had no way to pick it up (my farm truck is hibernating for the winter) so I asked if they would deliver it and they say sure so it came here on the bed of a stake truck.

No undercarriage, just the plow and the frame and cylinders. Had some odd lengths of hydraulic hose in the shop, just enough to get to the couplers.

I'm a little worried about the QD plate but it should be ok. Has some broken welds on the vertical stiffeners but I'll address that this summer when it gets sandblasted, welds gouged out and repaired and a coat of Orange II.

Probably have to either get the cylinders rebuilt or change them out, both are pitted a bit and both weep slightly, about enough to wet the housings.

Someone at the garage redid the skid shoes. They took 2 5" rounds of 1" steel and made up shoes and welded them to the bar stock adjusters. Very stout setup.

The old cutting edge was shot (crooked) so I got a new one (undrilled) and drilled it to the required spacing, countersunk the holes and square broached them for 5/8" dome head A325 plow bolts with alloy hex nuts and alloy lockwashers. That should secure the edge just fine.

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
Sounds like you're all set - I have a 10' pusher but I'd love a blade I could angle.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Nice!!! While I'd like to see that rig plowing through the drifts, you just keep pulling it out where the snow gods can see it, and they can go elsewhere besides mid Michigan :D
Exactly my thoughts when I bought it. I have it sitting out in the open where the 'Snow Gods' can see it every day.

Bought it from the Lenawee County Road Garage btw.

Other than a 'dust', we have not had any accumulation at all.

Did good on the plow. I sold my rear mount Lucknow 2 stage blower for 2500, bought the plow for 800 and put the difference in the savings account, minus the 100 bucks the QD plate cost and the rest (steel) was out by the barn doing nothing anyway.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
That is an 8 footer. Lots of them on CL here as well. Hard to find a 10 footer because even angled over it's overwidth for on the road. 10's and 12's will be road department plows.

10 foot will give me a 2 pass road blade and the neighbors on the road will appreciate it, however they probably won't contribute towards the fuel.:eek:

That one is pretty rough. I was worried that where the cutting edge mounts to the sub frame it would be rusted out but it wasn't. Glad of that. Would have been some serious fabricating if it was.

This spring, I'll strip it, sandblast the whole thing, plasma gouge out the broken welds, re-weld them and give it the 5 gallon finish in Orange II. I need to add alignment wings to the QD plate, it's hard to line it up to pick the plow up as it is.

Believe this one is a Western. the bolt pattern on the cutting edge is Western though there is no nameplate on the plow.

Should outlast me which isn't saying much.

I have the remotes on the loader frame for operating my WR Long square bale grapple that I haven't used in 4 years, so all the plumbing was already in place. Might as well use it.

Saxman

Equipment
L3830 ZD21
Jun 19, 2010
Mt. Vernon, IL
I picked up a 7’ Quik-Way plow this year and replaced all the hydraulic hoses. Gave it a quickie paint job and some retro reflective Kubota decals. I’m sure this purchase will scare the snow away for several years!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I need to get myself some of those glow in the dark guide poles....:D

My plan is to run the cutting edge about 1" off the ground on the skid shoes. I have a gravel drive anyway, why the blower wasn't the best alternative. Least having a cab, I don't have to freeze my buns off plowing. Hard to beat heat and hillbilly music.

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Dang, looks like mine.... I only have 4 tip over springs (have space for 2 more however). I splayed the upper angle iron mounts out more so as to apply the force to the ends of the QD plate and ran a 3/4" piece of flat stock across the bottom as well. Burned a lot of rod on that deal. Could be a Meyers and not a Western but the bolt pattern on the cutting edge is Western. No matter, will be orange this summer.

Same price as what I paid, well, mine was a hundred more (for the plate) and my time to fab it up.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Added a Bobcat style 2 pin plate to carry the plow on the front of my M9. Also included the pictures of the added hydraulic lines and the disconnects so I can remove the loader if necessary plus the hookup out back for powering the power angle Use the top remote (non detent) for angling the plow.

10 foot wide and around 1000 pounds. The cutting edge alone (which I replaced) was a tad over 100 pounds.

Have it just in case...:D No snow yet.

Like my new camera too. Takes nice pictures...:)

Obviously not for a small tractor but I'm sure the M9 is up to the task. Probably use it mostly on the road out front. It's a mile to the pavement. Need to add some sissy sticks to the plow and a rubber top flap but that can come later. I have the same setup on the 105 so I can use either if necessary.

Paid 800 bucks for the plow, delivered.
Pretty light duty plow for a 10 foot highway plow. Nobody would run anything that light duty on the highway around here particularly in a 10 foot length. For driveway use it should work ok.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Pretty light duty plow for a 10 foot highway plow. Nobody would run anything that light duty on the highway around here particularly in a 10 foot length. For driveway use it should work ok.
Guess we will find out won't we? Came from the local road garage. Not plow savvy at all and really don't care so long as it does the job I bought it for which is sitting in the yard doing nothing.

Didn't start out to buy a 10 foot, just happened to be the right price at the right time.

Little much for your tractor I suspect. Maybe too much for the M9, not sure but I have the 105 just in case.

If I don't ever put in on and use it, fine with me. It's there if I need it.

10 foot is a little wide for a driveway. Most drives are 8 foot around here.

If we get a winter blast, I'll be sure to take some more pictures and post them, now that I have a working camera.

Hoping we don't though.

Had a Lucknow 84 double auger 2 stage and sold it. Was just too big a PITA to work with. Helm Manufacturing makes a nice blower if you do a lot of snow which I don't. If we get one good blast a year that is a lot. Most years we don't get enough to fiddle with. Some years we get 8 foot drifts. Just depends.

I hope this year is quiet.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
A lot of the county secondary roads around here in MI are little more than driveways, about 1.7 car widths wide like the road I live on. Dirt. These roads get plowed usually one or two days after a storm.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
A lot of the county secondary roads around here in MI are little more than driveways, about 1.7 car widths wide like the road I live on. Dirt. These roads get plowed usually one or two days after a storm.

How do y’all pass oncoming traffic in the winter with snow banks?

Here we have narrow county roads and basically just put the outer wheels in the dirt to pass, but trees and rocks must be avoided.

Just curious since I never have been involved with snow too much and never really want to either!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Speaking foe Sheepfarmer we have the same issue. What we do is, if we see someone coming, we will pull off in a driveway and let them pass or get daring and pull off into the snow bank and hopefully, not get stuck.

Myself, I've pulled more than a few stuck vehicles out of the snow and ditches because they got over too far and got sucked in.

Very typical Michigan secondary roads. Basically mud bogs with ruts.

I've had to fold in my mirrors before, it's that close.