Go Back   OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota > Kubota Talk > Off Topic

Off Topic Got something to share but it's not strictly related to your favorite orange tractor? Post it here!

Old 12-11-2019   #31
bearbait

Master Tech

Equipment: L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Default Re: It's more snow than average this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCW View Post
Wow - some of the well production numbers are startling.

One thing about the northeast is we do have quite a bit of water. Typical house financing would require 5 gpm for a private well, although a lower capacity is allowed if there is a lot of storage in the well casing itself.

Sometimes artesian wells can actually be a problem if the artesian flow causes freeze-ups in the winter.

Ray, at-grade storage is something I've never seen on a home well system, and I've seen 100's. Some kind of storage is common for a spring system, and those are quite common here still.

I'm out-dated now but we used to figure ~$22/ft with 6" casing, and ~$12/ft without casing (bedrock/open hole).
Thanks for reminding me RCW, I have an artesian well with the overflow line buried under ground which exits at the top of my bank. In the spring I put an extension on and lead it down to the shore to keep my boat landing from staying soupy but last year I forgot and had water bubbling out the well head all winter. On my way now while I remember, thanks.
bearbait is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links  
Advertisement
Old 12-11-2019   #32
bearbait

Master Tech

Equipment: L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeets View Post
Here in the coal country they are required to case all the way to the bottom to with in if I remember 3 feet of the bottom of the bore hole. I have a 3000 gallon tank under the back porch and a Coyote Box on the pump cause the well only make about 2 gallon a min. So when the system seances the water level is up the pump turns on and when it reaches a certain point it shuts the pump off. The water here is so bloody hard we get about 3 to 5 years out of a pump before it is toast
Hard water here also but not that bad. I put in a water softener when we retired here and a reverse osmosis system under the sink for drinking water. Replacing pumps that often can add up. We've been lucky so far, still on the original pump. Probably just jinked that.
bearbait is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019   #33
CaveCreekRay

Master Tech

Equipment: L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler

This is the tank. 1500 or 2500 gal, I forget.

Our grade tanks sit about two feet under ground.

I built a shack to protect the equipment. The boss ordered that it "shall not be visible from the street" so I hid it in bushes and made it shorter than 6' tall. Rather than spend big bucks ordering a custom door, I made one out of a solid core blank and made my own frame and hung it. The roof is from a metal place here in town. I vented it and it stays pretty cool in all but the hottest of summer. Never gets above 105F and it keeps the equipment out of the pesky UV rays and direct solar heating. Most people around here leave everything out in the open and wonder why the bits go bad.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Well Tank-4.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	46200   Click image for larger version

Name:	Well1.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	46201   Click image for larger version

Name:	Well House Finito-2.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	46202  

Last edited by CaveCreekRay; 12-11-2019 at 09:47 AM.
CaveCreekRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019   #34
BigG
3rd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeets View Post
I do wonder if you were to drop a charge of say 2 pounds of black powder a squib of some kind and stemmed the bore , if the shock would fracture the rock enough to open up some voids. Granted the bore might to be re bored to get a new liner down,,, but I wonder
I believe that is called fracking and the green people in this world would not like you for doing that to mother earth.
BigG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019   #35
RCW

Master Tech

Equipment: BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU

That's interesting. Very similar to a spring system here.

While some are pumped, most are gravity-fed to a tank inside (cellar), and are then pumped into the house/barn system. Same net-effect.
RCW is offline   Reply With Quote