How can I loose stubborn nuts?

joekimtkd

Equipment
B7510DT, 4' Snow blower, 4' Loader, 6' Blade, 6' 3PH Finish mower, 6' box blade,
Aug 16, 2009
Durham Ontario Canada
I have around 3" nut to loose on my 4' snow blower.
I used 18" long pipe wrench too but can't loose them.
I even used "Realese all" spray too but...

One 18" pipe wrench to grab the shaft, the other 18" pipe wrench to grab
the nut to loose....... but no luck yet.

Please, give me a magic touch~!!!

Merry Christmas and Happy new year to you all~~~!!!!!!!

Jolly Joe.

B7510

Equipment
B7510 HST
Apr 29, 2009
Ontario
Hi Joe
I always try to set up a vibration so that the penetrating fluid is able to penetrate as much as possible to aid the loosening process. Most often I use an air hammer with a round blunt punch as opposed to a chisel. I try to apply the force on opposite shoulders of the nut a little at a time so that the nut will rotate in both the tighten and loosen directions. Before I had a compressor and air tools I simply used a round punch and a hammer applying force the same way. Remember, this is just to set up a vibration, not actually do the job. So keep the blows light but effective. Also important is patience. Let the fluid work. Maybe even overnight. If you can't hit the nut shoulders just hit somwhere close. The vibration will still help.
There is always heat but I prefer not to use it if I don't have to.
Hope this helps.
Best of the Season
Dwight

Milo Holroyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 L245DT w/1700 FEL, 2003 L3130 HST,w/ LA723 loader,,and L2174A snowblower
Loosening a large nut like that, without a solid wrench, or socket, is problematic.
Using large pipe wrenches, or adjustable pliers, by their form of mechanical force, just squeeze the nut tighter on the threads.
Like Dwight said, vibration, and time, are definitely your friend.
If there are no "heat" affected parts, (bearings, seals, hydraulics, etc.) in the area of the nut, then heat is the way to go.
Perhaps a local implement shop would loan you the proper socket?

As far as nut busters go I use "Kroil"

Milo

garyf

Equipment
B7200 MF135, MF40TLB, MF40B Loader, JD430, JD332, 3-JD318's
May 14, 2009
Lowbanks, Ontario
Some discussion on other sites I frequent most popular right now is a 50/50 mix of acetone and dextron3

joekimtkd

Equipment
B7510DT, 4' Snow blower, 4' Loader, 6' Blade, 6' 3PH Finish mower, 6' box blade,
Aug 16, 2009
Durham Ontario Canada
I knew~, I had to buy that air hammer stuff. Last time I went to Princess auto, I was going to buy one but they sold right out.
So, that is on my Santa's top list...:D:D:D

and this nut is on the shaft that both end has bearing on it.
It is some kind of clutch that protecting auger but it needs to tight to make a bit stronger. so I can't use the socket wrench either...:(

I guess I'm going to go to Canadian tire to get one of those air hammer soon though...:eek:

Thank you all...

Have a happy holiday.

Joe.

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Hi Joe. Did you buy another blower. You said it was a 48 in. Try to post a pic of what you are working on. I am a big fan of blunt force trauma , as in a bigger hammer. But untill I see what you are working on I don't want to tell you the specific methods of such violence. In some situations these methods work miracles, in others you just break stuff.:DDusty

RDR

Equipment
M5400,B6100E,K008,L175,TG1860Diesel,JD355D,3)Leyland 154D's,YM2000,IH1466
Oct 13, 2009
Danevang, Tx.
Get an impact wrench. It works for many things.

joekimtkd

Equipment
Aug 16, 2009
Durham Ontario Canada
I have 600 lb/ft impact wrench too. but it is no use on this case~:(

I've sold my 6' McKee snow blower in no time~:D
It was toooooooo heavy and too big for my poor B7510DT.
and I think 5' is still too big too. I found it has only 17 Hp on PTO.:eek:

So, I decide to use 4' snow blower that came with tractor. but tell you the truth, I could PISS further than this small wiener~~~:D:D:D
It has only 42" auger, and a bit of wing makes barely 46" wide...

So I took it to welding guy again and add another sheet metal to make 52" wide along with a bit of support frame. and add more bigger plate on the blower fans to give more throw...:D
So now, it throws snow further than my piss~:D
and I could move fast reverse and snow blower doesn't clogs up no more either.

But that little clutch stuff that replaces shear pin gives me trouble.
It cuts power on a bit of solid snow. and I found spring controls the tension on this clutch stuff. so I wanted to add some more tension to get me going.

All I have to do is turn that 3" nut inward then that spring will be tighter.
That is all I want for Christmas.:D but it doesn't want to turn.
Of course, I found allen key in that nut already and took it out and tried it.

If this post doesn't give you the idea, I'll take the photo this afternoon and I'll post it here~.:D

Thank you for your help~!

Jolly Joe.

Greg

Equipment
B7100 HST-D 4x4 with FEL, PTO and 3 pt hitch
Dec 7, 2009
Putnam County, NY
If it were mine, I'd slice right in with a cut-off wheel on a dremel and be done with it. Just order new nuts before your start.

Randyj

Equipment
B9200D / BF350 Kubota Loader / L-4530B Kubota Backhoe w - subframe / LP GS1548
Sep 17, 2009
Northern Indiana
Don't look like you have any seal to worry about. I'd first spray it down with "KROIL", then, put a long pipe on that pipe wrench.

If that don't work, I'd break out the "hot wrench", (torch). It'll come loose.
A properly sized open end wrench would be a lot better than the pipe wrench.

koppel

Dec 15, 2009
Melbourne,Australia
Hi there,

well I will throw my 2 cent aussie money in ..

if it were me i get out my oxy and a piece of metal that is lying about and cut myself a wacking spanner. one end for nut and other end a flat area to be able to hit easily. make flat sixe to suit a bit of tube you have at hand so you can try brute force if all else fails.

make it of steel twice as wide as the nut so it really sits on properly. And providing you have clearance space weld on some steel on to act as gusset so spanner end does not try to spread open as other end is wacked.

i would use my die grinder (or more likely flat file) to finish the inside so it fits real tight on maybe 4 sides like a brakeline flare nut spanner

Also hit it with a Dead blow hammer.. they are excellent in this application. I have 3 different weight and sizes in my kit.

Quote from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_blow_hammer

A dead blow hammer is a specialized mallet helpful in minimizing damage to the struck surface and in controlling striking force with minimal rebound from the striking surface. The head of these hammers are commonly hollow and filled with sand or shot, which absorbs the impact of a strike, reducing the bounce-back.

Dead blow hammers have many uses. For example, in auto repair they are commonly used for chassis work, dislodging stuck parts and sometimes used for hubcap installation and removal (e.g. knock-off hubs).

Last edited:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Once you get that stubborn sucker off buy youself a bottle of Aintiseeze paste. Might have to hunt around stores or online but I discovered this little gem when I used to drive a tractor trailer for a local dealership. Slap some on the threads od the new bolt and its sure to come loose with ease in the future. Antiseeze keeps dirt, water and gunk out and its a thick paste so it really stays put!

koppel

Dec 15, 2009
Melbourne,Australia
hi again Joe,

was looking more at your pics as I was sitting have a morning cup of tea with the better half.

She looked at the pic I was showing and Maria said :-

"I wonder if, in one flats of the nut is a locking grub screw. The sort you use a allen key for. Hole could filled with rubish that makes it not easily visible "

So I thought I'd send you that jem of idea. It is quite possible its either that or maybe a roll pin used to lock nut. I've seen both methods used before where this is only one nut. Would be surprised that only the spring tension is used to keep nut from truning on thread.

Normally one would see 2 nuts locking each other.

Other trick i have used with really stuck big nut is to drill 1 or 2 tiny holes in a flat or adjacent flats at or near top, in as far as the thread.
fill hole/holes with penetating type fluid and wait. sometimes days. have added candle wicks to holes and just dampen wick ever so often.

Good luck.

Last edited:

joekimtkd

Equipment
Aug 16, 2009
Durham Ontario Canada
Thank you all.
Koppel, you are from Melbourne Australia...?!
My daughter is in Bond University in Gold Coast.
Thank you for your help too.

Any how, I finally release that darn NUT~!!! "Release All" spray and 18" pipe wrench along with hammer. but I wanted to tighten that nut but it was already tighten all the way.:(

So, I have to looking for similar size of washers and add them into it...:cool:

Thank you for your nice phone call yesterday, Dusty.
I followed your instruction all the way...:D
But I haven't had chance to design that wing for snow blade. but I will... very soon.

Merry Christmas to you all.

Jolly Joe.

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
Glad you got that big ole nut loose.

I'll pass on some info for loosening siezed bolts etc.
A product I use here a lot is "PB Blaster". It took a week but it broke a wheel and hub loose that were siezed by winter salt and it got the job done.

Another method that is very effective if heat can be used but is subject to size is "wax". Yep. Heat the nut//bolt up red hot and immediately put a candle up to it and let the heat pull the wax into the siezed area. After cooling, the fastener can sometimes be removed by hand. :eek: :eek:
Wax workes very well but on large items it is limited by heat transfer or something because I have had large items where this didn't work at all.

Just a couple of extra cents. :D :D

joekimtkd

Equipment
Aug 16, 2009
Durham Ontario Canada
Thank you all.

Thank you for extra tips for~!!!:D
I'm so happy that learnning new techniques everyday.

That shaft size, I have to grab my caliper to measure the right size.
I didn't know where to get those washer and so on~. Now Dusty, you will be my life savior again~~~!!! Thank you~!

I hurt my back last night. My daughter asked me to take picture of her and I made one step forward on stone stair and I slipped on Ice and fall so hard on my back onto edge of stone stair... 190 pounds falling that hard wasn't pretty.
Luckyly I didn't brake my bones YET, but it hurts like hell~!

I hope this my last falling till I die~~~!:D:D:D

Joe.

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Hope you feel better Joe. When you do get feeling better tear that clutch apart on that blower. If for no other purpose than to clean it up and see what condition it is in. Dirt rust or old dried up grease could be causing it to slip. Take care of yourself.:D dusty