L3901 in the drink.

JR4AL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5800
Sep 7, 2014
Jackson, AL, USA
Hopefully my story will save a life or cause someone to think faster than I could. Last Friday, I was bushogging our family pond like I have dozens of times before. Up and down the banks never parallel with the water. On a completely "normal" pass as I backed the tail wheel to the edge of the pond, I leaned too far in the seat causing the kill switch to activate and immediatly shut off the engine. My first reaction was to crank the tractor...with the tractor off, going backwards on the interior of the dam, my first move was wrong and cost me too much time. Within one second of the tractor shutting off, the inertia of the blades caught the water and began sucking the tractor in the pond. My next move was to hit the brakes. (The placement of the brakes on this model is horrible above the tredle pedal). Time ran out at second two and the tractor was entering the water hitting the brakes did little good as gravity and blades were pulling us both in 14 feet of water. As water covered my waste I knew I had to get out of the seatbelt. I clicked the seat belt and Tried to stand up. The seatbelt was caught as if it was trying to prevent me from being ejected. I had to remove the belt from my lap to stand up. The water was to my chest in literally three seconds from shut off. I had to swim to the bank. I thought I was fast enough to drop the bucket but it would have done little to slow this event from unfolding, the bucket would have just slid in with us. Nevertheless, I hope my story causes someone to be safer than they otherwise would be and maybe they will think faster than me. Be safe out there guys. I never thought this could happen to me!

Attachments

BravoXray

Equipment
BX-25D, Ford 9N, Bobcat 825. Too many implements to list
Feb 6, 2014
Lake Winola,PA.
Thank God you're alright! I hope you have the KTAC insurance, or maybe your home owners will cover it for you.
Thanks for posting your story, we sometimes need to be reminded that stuff happens to safe and competent operators too.

Jerry

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
Your are not hurt and tractor can be replaced! The good news is was not running, but with the computer, that's a different story! You should be able to get the fluids drained and let dry out for couple of days. Pull apart all connectors and chase water out with WD40

KTAC will cover the repairs. I would think homeowners would also!

Pat

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Scary stuff,, glad I didnt read about you from some obit

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
JR4AL, Glad to hear that you are alright! Sorry to see your tractor in the pound. Like 1970cs said, if you have KTAC insurance, they should take care of it.

JR4AL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5800
Sep 7, 2014
Jackson, AL, USA
Thanks for the encouragement guys. It happened too fast to get scared. Afterwards it all got real. I had to get a wrecker to pull the tractor out and fortunately I had insurance. The tractor is a total loss according to my insurance and my dealer/mechanic. Future problems would likely be significant even if you got it going again. Getting a new one delivered later this week. Happy ending to an incredibly scary event!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Thanks for the encouragement guys. It happened too fast to get scared. Afterwards it all got real. I had to get a wrecker to pull the tractor out and fortunately I had insurance. The tractor is a total loss according to my insurance and my dealer/mechanic. Future problems would likely be significant even if you got it going again. Getting a new one delivered later this week. Happy ending to an incredibly scary event!
If nothing else, you are ok, glad to hear! Tractor is going to be fine too.....
MOST important lesson is that you have a story to help others - thank you for sharing!

I thought by the post title, that you were in southern Texas....and thought "he is not the only one in the drink!" :(

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
JR4AL, that's a frightening event, but I commend you to come online and report it. Your story may save some folks who think they're beyond trouble like you experienced.

You're safe, new machine...can't end much better then that!!

What you going to do to keep it mowed? A sickle mower, goats....or leave it for bird cover?

JR4AL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5800
Sep 7, 2014
Jackson, AL, USA
JR4AL, that's a frightening event, but I commend you to come online and report it. Your story may save some folks who think they're beyond trouble like you experienced.

You're safe, new machine...can't end much better then that!!

What you going to do to keep it mowed? A sickle mower, goats....or leave it for bird cover?
I think I will go the Round Up route from here on. No blade of grass is worth my children no longer having a father around.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
glad you were not hurt!

the tractor can be replaced.

Flienlow

Equipment
Kubota BX25D, Kubota U25 mini EX, SVL75,Landpride Grapple,Landpride grading scra
Mar 9, 2015
snohomish
Glad you are OK!! Grease and Iron can always be replaced.

Now for my rant: Those god forsaken safety switches are more trouble then they are worth in my opinion. They are great for stopping a PTO while running if you get off the tractor, or if you roll over. But from my experience you are more prone to having an incident like this than any of the above.

But what do I know?

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Glad you are OK!! Grease and Iron can always be replaced.

Now for my rant: Those god forsaken safety switches are more trouble then they are worth in my opinion. They are great for stopping a PTO while running if you get off the tractor, or if you roll over. But from my experience you are more prone to having an incident like this than any of the above.

But what do I know?
My opinion is that the safety switches are more about covering their liability, and less about safety. In this particular case, the were definitely not a help.
Glad you're ok, and here to tell the story, JR4AL. No shame in what happened- we probably ALL have a story to share, of one sort or another. Thanks for the sober reminder- operate safe, even if it means not using the "safety" equipment.

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
Wow glad you're OK!
I think I'm glad my tractor is old enough it doesn't have that rectal safety switch.I never thought about the blades drawing it down but it makes sense. I see my neighbor mowing down to his pond the same way- I think I'll give him a friendly heads up.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Wow, that is a scary incident. I too, live on water and get close. I am terrified I'll do what you did when I am 5' from the banks. It is good to know you made it safely.
20 years ago, my dad rolled his Kubota into his pond, driving on a step bank and NOT up and down. Two tow trucks were needed. After that, the hill and area around the pond were done with a hand mower. I go further and weed wack that final two feet!

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Glad you're okay and thanks for posting your story. They say a picture is worth a thousand words. That picture says it all. Its a heartbreaker, but it could have been worse.

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
Good to hear you're OK and it all worked out tractor insurance wise etc.
Just wish I was in the vicinity to buy the old tractor from the insurer!

jryser

Jun 7, 2017
Plainfield
Thank you for the honesty and the reminder. My tractor mentor has always told me "slow and steady wins this race. And it's not a race." (I'm sad to admit I'm a country boy wannabe; work in the city at a hospital but live for the outdoors)

ANYTHING can happen anytime. And usually when we are least prepared.

Your statement that no blade of grass is worth ur kids not having you is poignant and powerful.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk