Go Back   OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota > Kubota Talk > Tractor Operating

Tractor Operating Wondering what that strange lever does, how to safely hill climb or get into 4WD? Discover and share how to get the most out of your tractor.

Old 12-10-2019   #21
North Idaho Wolfman

VIP Service Tech

Equipment: L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Default Re: What fuel to use

I'm lucky to be in an area where off road diesel is always used, so it's fresh.

One other trick...yes it's sort of like cheating, I have a tank that has a 4" opening and when the lank is low and it's freezing outside and water that is in the tank can be fished out, yum diesel infused popsicle...

The tank has barometric pressure regulation and I get good fuel, so the most water I've ever gotten out, I would guess,was less than a tablespoon per 200 some gallons.
Sponsored Links  
Advertisement
Old 12-10-2019   #22
js5020
1st Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: BX23S

Am I correct in assuming that #1D is kerosene? I had an issue last season plowing and want to avoid a gel up when temps are below 20f. I was using treatment when it happened at -2, fortunately I was able to limp it back to the shop. I was thinking of mixing 30% kero with the #2.
js5020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019   #23
Bulldog
VIP Service Tech

Equipment: M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT

Kerosene has no lubrication purposes but I've heard of people using it but it was on older engines.

I use Amsoil all in one conditioner and have (knock one wood) never had any issue with fuel gelling. I use my L every day during the winter.
Old 12-10-2019   #24
D2Cat

VIP Service Tech

Equipment: L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240

I have a friend who's delivering fuel daily with a tanker truck within a 200 mile radius. He said when the diesel is treated it's 1/3rd #1, 2/3rd #2. That's how they cut it for delivery to service stations around here.

"Remember the quality of your question directly affects the quality of your answer."
D2Cat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019   #25
Tornado
2nd Yr. Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoXray View Post
Buy a Mr. Funnel. I***8217;m careful where I get my fuel from, but after having a water logged filter freeze while moving snow I decided I needed some extra insurance. I haven***8217;t had to replace a fuel filter unexpectedly since I bought this;

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Funnel-AF3...5950446&sr=8-7

Cheap insurance.

Jerry
Thanks for that! Im gonna buy two of these. One for diesel and one for gas.

I always worry about the funnels actually getting dirty themselves though. I always take time to wipe them down with a rag, and always get a little layer of dust/dirt that collects from residue. If you forget to do this, you could be putting this little bit of dirt right into the oil or gas, whatever youre using it for.

Last edited by Tornado; 12-11-2019 at 06:00 AM.
Tornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019   #26
Stmar
4th Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: B2650HSDC

I try to keep tank full and at least another 5 gallons on hand, sometimes 10. This year I had tank full and 2 - 5 gallon jugs of #2 on hand and did not use the tractor very much, little snow and no projects. Weather turned cold so right away I added some Power Service White, summer time I use Gray, after October the Co-op switches to #1 but I still add a bit of White. Now tractor is full of #2 with White and have a couple of jugs of #1 ready for the real cold weather. My main thing is to try and keep tractor tank near full to minimize condensation, so far so good, knock on wood.
Stmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019   #27
BigG
3rd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
Kerosene has no lubrication purposes but I've heard of people using it but it was on older engines.

I use Amsoil all in one conditioner and have (knock one wood) never had any issue with fuel gelling. I use my L every day during the winter.

Does really get cold in your neighborhood? I was thinking that it was a more moderate climate there.
BigG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019   #28
BigG
3rd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Thanks for that! Im gonna buy two of these. One for diesel and one for gas.

I always worry about the funnels actually getting dirty themselves though. I always take time to wipe them down with a rag, and always get a little layer of dust/dirt that collects from residue. If you forget to do this, you could be putting this little bit of dirt right into the oil or gas, whatever youre using it for.
I purchased a new unused paint can from Ace and store a funnel and a measuring cup, to measure out the Lucas, in it . Easy open and closed with no chance of getting the funnel dirty and a paper towel in the bottom soaks up the leftovers.
BigG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019   #29
North Idaho Wolfman

VIP Service Tech

Equipment: L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by js5020 View Post
Am I correct in assuming that #1D is kerosene? I had an issue last season plowing and want to avoid a gel up when temps are below 20f. I was using treatment when it happened at -2, fortunately I was able to limp it back to the shop. I was thinking of mixing 30% kero with the #2.
No #1 Diesel is not the same as Kerosene.
Kerosene as Bulldog pointed out has no lubrication properties, not a safe bet to just cut Diesel with Kerosene.

Your way better off treating with Stanadyne or any other fuel treatment to drop the gel point.
Old 12-11-2019   #30
edritchey

4th Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: B21 - M59 - MX5800

Here's a link to a really good product to keep your fuel from gelling.
edritchey is offline   Reply With Quote