COVID-19 Stuff

Carry on with the political ranting, mud slinging, name calling, and insults, or close the thread.

• Leave it open

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Close the thread

Votes: 10 55.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
I hope you are right my friend. Right now I have to admit (reluctantly) I am getting concerned. Hotel parking lots are empty, streets are empty (which I realize is a good thing). Gov. of Al just ordered that basically all businesses that serve the public close or conduct business outside the doors. Now allowing local bars to sell inventory (unopened booze) to the public outside.

My son was at a wedding for my brother's son in Idaho and now may be stuck there (he was in the wedding so only he went--which really sucks in and of itself, probably a stupid decision).

I'm scared that if we close our business doors until April 17 there will be nothing left to open. Sorry to all for being a big downer but it hit me today that I really think that although the human death toll may be low (thank God) small businesses will by high.

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yeah but da be partyin down in the big easy from what I read!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I noticed that some of the restaurants in town are closing for a bit and selling off their stuff in the coolers. Not enough take out demand to pay the bills.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I hope you are right my friend. Right now I have to admit (reluctantly) I am getting concerned. Hotel parking lots are empty, streets are empty (which I realize is a good thing). Gov. of Al just ordered that basically all businesses that serve the public close or conduct business outside the doors. Now allowing local bars to sell inventory (unopened booze) to the public outside.

My son was at a wedding for my brother's son in Idaho and now may be stuck there (he was in the wedding so only he went--which really sucks in and of itself, probably a stupid decision).

I'm scared that if we close our business doors until April 17 there will be nothing left to open. Sorry to all for being a big downer but it hit me today that I really think that although the human death toll may be low (thank God) small businesses will by high.
You're not along my friend, we're all worried however we will get threw this so hang in there. Just watching the news and they showed a sign that someone had hanging out in their yard..."When this is over I'm gonna hug everyone"

Last edited:

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Yeah but da be partyin down in the big easy from what I read!
New Orleans is a mess, more then ever. And people around here just ain’t getting it. I put in today for next week off at least, I had enough of these people bringing stuff into the shop that is not necessary right now. Going in Monday to finish a job for the sheriff dept if I get parts. But this is nation wide. We have a private forum for the dealership network, and this is happening all over. People that supposed to stay home are flooding us with stuff that can wait, but they have nothing else to do and they won’t stay home.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
IF, and that's the BIG if, everyone did what they're being told( stay away from everyone,etc.) then about 2 weeks from now we should be 'over the hump' NOT 'out of the woods', after 2 more weeks THEN it might be safe but not 'all clear'.
The problem is reopening the boarder by any means( air, road, choochoo,walking) WILL allow 1 infected person in then it'll start allover again.

Just have to look at China..Whuhan is reopening after 2-3 MONTHS of tight lockdown. Once they understood how serious it it, they took HARD measures to contain it,unlike the rest of the World.
I don't see Canada 'normal' until mid June and that's IF people keep away from each other. The good thing, if there is any 'good', is that it's Spring-Summer and we can be OUTSIDE in the sun and warmth

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
With all this going on, I was half wondering if I was gonna get a letter from Kubota finance... delaying monthly payment.. or 2

well, the letter never came and my payment went out yesterday.... :D

oh well.... ;)

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
With all this going on, I was half wondering if I was gonna get a letter from Kubota finance... delaying monthly payment.. or 2

well, the letter never came and my payment went out yesterday.... :D

oh well.... ;)
They'd probably work with you John for next month or 2 if you give them a call, good luck. Tough times for a lot of folks right now.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
We are 11 days into self-isolation and it is really upsetting me to witness my wife standing at the living room window gazing aimlessly into space with tears running down her cheeks. It breaks my heart to see her like this. I have thought very hard about how I can cheer her up. I have even considered letting her in – but rules are rules.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Magicman, you really had me going, lump in my throat and everything.
Thanks for a great laugh.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
IF, and that's the BIG if, everyone did what they're being told( stay away from everyone,etc.) then about 2 weeks from now we should be 'over the hump' NOT 'out of the woods', after 2 more weeks THEN it might be safe but not 'all clear'.
The problem is reopening the boarder by any means( air, road, choochoo,walking) WILL allow 1 infected person in then it'll start allover again.

Just have to look at China..Whuhan is reopening after 2-3 MONTHS of tight lockdown. Once they understood how serious it it, they took HARD measures to contain it,unlike the rest of the World.
I don't see Canada 'normal' until mid June and that's IF people keep away from each other. The good thing, if there is any 'good', is that it's Spring-Summer and we can be OUTSIDE in the sun and warmth
I hear ya my friend. At least where we live we'll be able to jump in the boat out front but right now if it snows one more time I'll have to put the blower back on because we're down to on lane going out our road.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
We are 11 days into self-isolation and it is really upsetting me to witness my wife standing at the living room window gazing aimlessly into space with tears running down her cheeks. It breaks my heart to see her like this. I have thought very hard about how I can cheer her up. I have even considered letting her in – but rules are rules.
Wife's exact words when I showed her this..... "You would be the very definition of an abused husband" :eek:

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

I think you might be under a false impression that the Canadian to US border is 100% closed, it's not.
There is still a lot of truck traffic and other (hopefully) essential traffic running through it.

Also I have a RR route that goes right in and out of Canada, and there as still the same number of trains running back and forth as there always was.

And while you might think that China has done the 100% right thing sadly the new numbers and news suggest a completely different story as to their containment. they are now reporting that there is a reinfection and their number are soon to rise again.

Basically the only way we are going to beat it, is if some brilliant scientist comes up with a anti viral or inoculation for this bug!

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Ventured out today to pump rain water out of my FIL's abandoned pool, drove 14 miles, and saw 6 garage sale signs. People are just not getting it. Morons.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
We had to get away from it for a bit and we couldn't have asked for a better day, amazing how good the sun feels on this old body after being stuck inside or freezing our butts off walking out the road for months. Kinda takes the blues away for a bit.:D Think I'll leave the news off for the rest of the day.

Attachments

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Hints for safe grocery shopping:
Given that the density of cases is going up all around the country exponentially, the odds that an asymptomatic carrier has shopped at your favorite grocery store are going up too. So even though the stores are disinfecting things, other shoppers and stockers are still touching things with or without gloves, and moving the virus around. So depending on your level of paranoia and ocd, if you HAVE to go out for food, here are some suggestions.

This video demonstrates how one might go about getting food into your kitchen and refrigerator without bringing viral particles with it. He may have made some mistakes, but by and large this was helpful. I tried doing my shopping at an old folks session at Krogers and then bringing home a modest collection of items and following the directions, and it is harder than it looks to implement successfully. I was thoroughly stressed out when I finished because I didn’t plan ahead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjDuwc9KBps

The basic principles are having clean hands versus “dirty” ones, or one of each, and clean surfaces versus dirty ones, and not mixing them up. An added hint is unopened sections of newspaper are essentially sterile so if you put a section down and unfold it for use it is pretty clean, individual pages can be rolled up and put in trash one at a time after use. This tip came from my mother many years ago. She went to nursing school before there was penicillin, and learned that for delivering babies under less than clean conditions.
Before you set out, have a list preferably in your head of the needed items. If you’ve looked at the video, he shows three ways of decontaminating the surfaces covering the food:

1. Remove the coverings and dump the items into clean containers. Figure out which containers you can use for the items you want, and place at the ready. Here is where a helper would be fabulous when you come home.
2. Have the kitchen sink full of warm soapy water. You’d be surprised at the numbers of things that can survive water submersion, like vacuum packed cheeses, plastic bottles of milk as well as fruit. You absolutely are spitting in the wind trying to wipe off a bunch of bananas or plastic bags with sanitary wipes.
3. Wipe off items that can reasonably be sprayed or wiped off, these might be canned goods.

Shoes, clothing, and other items may need to be decontaminated , so set out with clothes you can put in the washer when you come home, shoes you can leave in the garage, and wear something with pockets that will hold the absolute essentials: car keys, phone, credit card. Take your watch off! I didn’t think of that until I was trying to figure out how to sanitize it, and it is hard to wash your hands properly without drowning it.
Have in your car several pairs of disposable gloves, hand sanitizer, spray, and a bag or box to put contaminated gloves etc. in.

So bearing in mind what you are going to have to do with the food packages when you get home, get out of the car and put on some gloves, put a spare clean glove in a pocket, and go get your food. One of the gotchas was the perforated plastic boxes fresh raspberries and blueberries come in. After I got through dealing with them at home I was almost sorry I bought them, so plan ahead. Those are pretty much “put in a new container” items. Use the self checkout lane and their bags. Some stores have banned use of your own cloth bags. You can slip one (clean) hand out of its glove to reach into pocket for credit card and then put it back when done. Put glove back on, or another one, to bag your groceries, sorting as you go as to items that can stay in the garage in the car versus ones that you want to get into kitchen. Remove one glove to unlock car and open door. After unloading groceries, remove both gloves and put in your trash box, and for good measure use hand sanitizer before touching your steering wheel. When you get home, carefully decide the order of doing things. Perhaps put the “inside” grocery bags at the threshold, then take off shoes and leave them there, go inside and start the cleaning strategy. I felt obligated to put clothes in washer and take a shower when done, but I needed to wash my hair anyway! I am sure there are better ways, but these came to mind after I did it the hard way first. I think sterile technique would be a whole heck of a lot easier in a surgery where everything is laid out. My neighbor is a surgery nurse, and says she has been doing it so long it is second nature.:rolleyes:

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
"Rhode Island Police to Hunt Down New Yorkers Seeking Refuge

By
Prashant Gopal
and
Brian K Sullivan
March 27, 2020, 5:14 PM EDT

Rhode Island police began stopping cars with New York plates Friday. On Saturday, the National Guard will help them conduct house-to-house searches to find people who traveled from New York and demand 14 days of self-quarantine.

“Right now we have a pinpointed risk,” Governor Gina Raimondo said. “That risk is called New York City.”

New York is the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in the U.S., on Friday reporting a total of 44,000 cases.

Rhode Island has just over 200, and it has begun an aggressive campaign to keep the virus out and New Yorkers contained, over objections from civil liberties advocates.

Raimondo, a Democrat, said she had consulted lawyers and said while she couldn’t close the border, she felt confident she could enforce a quarantine.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...olice-to-hunt-down-new-yorkers-seeking-refuge "

Status
Not open for further replies.