L Series Axle Vent

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I bought this several years back and put it where I wouldn't forget it. Anyway I ran across it today and thought I better install it while it was in my hand. It fit a wide range of of L series tractors. I thought I would pass on the info, I know I'm not the only one with pressure build up in the front axle.

If you have a dipstick / fill plug like this, here is a factory optional vent.

Attachments

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
A few days ago I pulled the plug on mine to check the front axle oil and low and behold it had pressure??? :eek:
So thanks, I'll order me one of those too! :cool:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
3 years ago I was working doing clean-up after a tornado when thru a small town just North of me. Anyway, it was at least mid to upper 90's every day and we were going 12 and 14 hr days. One day my right side hub started leaking fluid. I came home that evening and pulled the fill plug on that side thinking I was just going to check the oil and maybe top it off if needed. Even though the axle was cooled off it looked like Old Faithful had erupted. It blew (I'm guessing) 6 or 8 feet and pretty well covered me and the tractor. That's when I bought the vent but somehow failed to install it.

Main thing it's on there now and should fix any type of pressure issue. Glad I was able to pass along something usefull.

Big Orange

Equipment
L3650 GST LA650A FEL Howse 60 inch bush hog, Kubota L 321 60 inch snow blower
Jan 11, 2014
Ripley, Maine
3 years ago I was working doing clean-up after a tornado when thru a small town just North of me. Anyway, it was at least mid to upper 90's every day and we were going 12 and 14 hr days. One day my right side hub started leaking fluid. I came home that evening and pulled the fill plug on that side thinking I was just going to check the oil and maybe top it off if needed. Even though the axle was cooled off it looked like Old Faithful had erupted. It blew (I'm guessing) 6 or 8 feet and pretty well covered me and the tractor. That's when I bought the vent but somehow failed to install it.

Main thing it's on there now and should fix any type of pressure issue. Glad I was able to pass along something usefull.
I had posted this question a few weeks ago I know my axle should not leak and I have the parts to repair it but if I keep the pressure released it does not leak at all. I plan on getting one of these ASAP Thanks Bulldog!!

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I had posted this question a few weeks ago I know my axle should not leak and I have the parts to repair it but if I keep the pressure released it does not leak at all. I plan on getting one of these ASAP Thanks Bulldog!!
With enough pressure, anything will leak. More than likely, you don't have a failure. Reducing the pressure will probably take care of it- thank goodness for easy fixes!

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Where did you get that? Any idea if it will also fit the B2620? I notice mine builds pressure too.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Where did you get that? Any idea if it will also fit the B2620? I notice mine builds pressure too.
I ordered it from my Kubota dealer. Not sure if it will fit your B model or not. Do you have a dip stick that looks like the one in the picture I posted? If so it may fit. The paper work that came in the kit doesn't even list my L3000 but it fits perfectly. I guess it has 10 or 15 models listed but obviously it fit even more than what it says.

Big Orange, I hope this simple kit will fix your leak. If it does I'm glad to be able to help out. :D

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Similar, but mine is yellow plastic. Thanks for the info, I will have to measure the diameter and look into it.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Similar, but mine is yellow plastic. Thanks for the info, I will have to measure the diameter and look into it.
I just measured my dipstick and it's 3/4" across the threads. It looks like pipe thread but not sure. Hope this helps.

WingNut

Equipment
L2850 Kubota c/w Loader
Feb 29, 2012
Northern Ontario
A.....H
I have always had problems withthe front diff on my L2850 building up pressure and leaking after running it for awhile, and always wondered why it wasn't vented.
It even blew the bottom cap off once and I lost almost all the diff oil.
Posted that question on hear awhile ago, about if there should be a vent on the front diff.
This is good to know, thanks for the heads up Bulldog.

Big Orange

Equipment
L3650 GST LA650A FEL Howse 60 inch bush hog, Kubota L 321 60 inch snow blower
Jan 11, 2014
Ripley, Maine
I ordered it from my Kubota dealer. Not sure if it will fit your B model or not. Do you have a dip stick that looks like the one in the picture I posted? If so it may fit. The paper work that came in the kit doesn't even list my L3000 but it fits perfectly. I guess it has 10 or 15 models listed but obviously it fit even more than what it says.

Big Orange, I hope this simple kit will fix your leak. If it does I'm glad to be able to help out. :D
I ordered and installed my vent kit $24.00 ran tractor all day and parked it not 1 drip of oil Guess I will be saving my seal parts for awhile as was not looking forward to tearing these apart.

Thanks again Bulldog:D

ctmike

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L 3750 DT with loader, brush mower, rear grader blade, box scraper, rear blower,
May 10, 2013
Suffield, CT
I just bought one for my L3750 this week. It wasn't listed as fitting but the parts guy looked up the dipsticks and told me they were the same. Hope to install it this weekend after draining and refilling with new gear oil.

That's why I love this forum. I would have never known about this upgrade. Thanks!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Gonna have to mention that to my dad to try that before he rebuild's is front end. Thanks for the post :)

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I ordered and installed my vent kit $24.00 ran tractor all day and parked it not 1 drip of oil Guess I will be saving my seal parts for awhile as was not looking forward to tearing these apart.

Thanks again Bulldog:D
If that $24 saves you from tearing the frontend apart I would say that's money well spent.

So far I think the kit is going to make a big difference. I may have to look around in my tool box and see if I have any other hidden treasures that I forgot about having. :D

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I asked my dealer about this on my B and he took me to talk to the mechanics. This is what they told me....they are designed to hold a certain amount of pressure to keep contaminants from leaking IN through the seals and there is an internal vent that will release pressure when it goes above that designed level.

I'm not stating as fact....just wanted to post what they told me.

JCapritto

Equipment
l4240
Sep 9, 2014
St. martinville louisiana
I have an L4240 Hydrostat (2007) leaking fluid from front axle at the split pin. That is the drip point but not the source. Right after a few hours of working the tractor hard, it will leak about 1/2 ounce. I checked the fluid level as soon as I stopped and the axle blew quite a bit of pressure out the check hole. I ordered a breather vent as Bulldog suggested from Coleman equipment in Kansas. I was not sure if it would fit, but it just arrived and it does. Installed on top the axle in place of the fill hole bolt.Did not check yet if that will solve my problem but for $25 it is worth a try. The reason I agree it may be too much pressure is that it only leaks after a long run and does not leka for a few minutes running or even just parked in my building.