L Series Axle Vent

ctmike

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L 3750 DT with loader, brush mower, rear grader blade, box scraper, rear blower,
May 10, 2013
Suffield, CT
Mine is working great also. No more leaks from the axles.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
I asked my dealer about this on my B and he took me to talk to the mechanics. This is what they told me....they are designed to hold a certain amount of pressure to keep contaminants from leaking IN through the seals and there is an internal vent that will release pressure when it goes above that designed level.

I'm not stating as fact....just wanted to post what they told me.
Absolutely correct. Unimog (which is basically a High Speed Tractor) ADDS pressure to their axle's via a Deep Forging kit for just the reason you state. It is for keeping Mud and Water out.

As posted above Kubota dose make a vent for this purpose
Most likely it is for the purpose of circumventing how soon you need to go in and REPLACE your WORN AXLE SEALS. Also maybe severe duty tractor's might need some pressure "reduction"?

Last edited:

djm1204

Equipment
L4600 HST, FEL, Root Rake, Land Pride Grapple, Two way radio
Aug 11, 2014
Dunnellon, FL, USA
Just curious - while I understand the pressure issue - does the vent then let water and other containment's in ? I know on my jeep axles the vent has a tube that comes up to just underneath the inside of the hood in the event the axle is in water.

We do the same with some of our high water rescue trucks - relocate the axle vents to a higher location.

Just asking a tractor newbie here - well very soon to be a new tractor owner. Is this something I should have the dealer install as part of a sale ?

Thanks

Dan