M5N-091.... someone screwed up and it wasn't me.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Crossing my fingers it's still warranty....it's not very old
You removed the 12mm head shutter mounting bolt rather than the 14mm head oil plug. I would be surprised if your dealer could get a warranty payment for operator error.

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
You removed the 12mm head shutter mounting bolt rather than the 14mm head oil plug. I would be surprised if your dealer could get a warranty payment for operator error.

I removed the one labeled "drain" theres literally no other plug....... newer manual shows it as drain, older shows it as check.

Attachments

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
How would it be my error to follow the manual...... I posted the picture of the manual page and of the plug I removed. Literally the exact same and it's the lowest plug on the differential....

Attachments

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada

Please do explain how I could take this any different.... one shows it as check and one shows it as drain but in either case it has to come out to do it's job.

Attachments

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Like I said I bought it new sooooo I have no clue. Also it wouldn't get to the finals as it actually is separated it would just get into the differential.... which isn't good either. Maybe the factory did the thread pitch wrong in the actual hole and patched the issue this way? I'll have to get a really strong magnet so the nut can't move..... go all ironman
I think you’re on the right track. I suspect the mower shows up at the dealer “some assembly required” and the kid that tossed it together couldn’t find the drain plug and did you this little favor to get it out the door. If it’s under warranty, I’d definitely let the dealer fix this assembly “error”. But it’s only an error if it wasn’t purposely done. Clearly this was done on purpose to save having to find the drain plug. Nuts. Good luck with it.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
Well I figured this out and it was strange, the manual listed online is wrong.... it used to be used as a drain in some models and is still threaded but was changed to be used for a flap.... inside the axle that serves no notable purpose. So we took the axle out, put it back in place, reassembled and all is good. I emailed manualslib to tell them their manual has a mistake in it. Curious how many other people ended up with this issue

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
Kinda crazy you were able to half remove it before then retighten it. Just being a nut and bolt. Also why wouldn’t Kubota still just put the proper bolt or plug in the threaded hole. Glad you got everything figured out but this is still mind boggling to me.
When doing fluid changes you could hit the fill and drain plugs with some orange or yellow paint. Nobody will ever make that mistake or others with your tractor in the future. Well I’d hope

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
Kinda crazy you were able to half remove it before then retighten it. Just being a nut and bolt. Also why wouldn’t Kubota still just put the proper bolt or plug in the threaded hole. Glad you got everything figured out but this is still mind boggling to me.
When doing fluid changes you could hit the fill and drain plugs with some orange or yellow paint. Nobody will ever make that mistake or others with your tractor in the future. Well I’d hope
It's screwed into a plate is why it didn't just spin.... why they didn't mount it internally and not setup this easy to make mistake and have a version of the manual to guide you to this mistake.... no idea. Luckily it was easy to remove the axle shaft and fix this

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Well I figured this out and it was strange, the manual listed online is wrong.... it used to be used as a drain in some models and is still threaded but was changed to be used for a flap.... inside the axle that serves no notable purpose. So we took the axle out, put it back in place, reassembled and all is good. I emailed manualslib to tell them their manual has a mistake in it. Curious how many other people ended up with this issue
It's not Manualslib issue, it's the right manual, it's just not right for your tractor.
It's very common for Kubota to have mutiple manuals for mutiple tractors from mutiple regions, a lot of EU tractors don't quite match UP to US and CA tractors.

Pull your serial number and go to a dealer with a flash drive and see if they will give you the right copy of the manual for your tractor.

The reason for the shutter plate is to keep the diff from shoving all the oil to one side of the axle case starving the other for fluid.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I think you’re on the right track. I suspect the mower shows up at the dealer “some assembly required” and the kid that tossed it together couldn’t find the drain plug and did you this little favor to get it out the door. If it’s under warranty, I’d definitely let the dealer fix this assembly “error”. But it’s only an error if it wasn’t purposely done. Clearly this was done on purpose to save having to find the drain plug. Nuts. Good luck with it.
MOWER?????
This is a M5 Front axle. ;)

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
It's not Manualslib issue, it's the right manual, it's just not right for your tractor.
It's very common for Kubota to have mutiple manuals for mutiple tractors from mutiple regions, a lot of EU tractors don't quite match UP to US and CA tractors.

Pull your serial number and go to a dealer with a flash drive and see if they will give you the right copy of the manual for your tractor.

The reason for the shutter plate is to keep the diff from shoving all the oil to one side of the axle case starving the other for fluid.
It's an odd design choice, if they would have made it hard to remove it would have been much less easy to mistake... they put red locktite in it but only near the bolt head so it came right out easily

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It's an odd design choice, if they would have made it hard to remove it would have been much less easy to mistake... they put red locktite in it but only near the bolt head so it came right out easily
Oh I completely agree with you, very poor design indeed!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It also drains from both sides but you have to fill the sides and then the center. Can't just fill from the center as the fluid travels very slow from center to sides. So you could you would just have to wait a while
Yea that part is semi normal as a lot of the kubota axles are like that.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Seems to me that everyone is to blame except the person that removed the wrong plug. It's the manual's fault, it's Kubota's fault, "someone screwed up and it wasn't me".

Back in 2010 or so I bought a low mileage Audi Allroad 2.7L twin turbo for my wife and drove it across the US before shipping it to Hawaii. I was excited to change the oil as soon as I picked it up from the docks. By the time I got home it was dark but I couldn't put it off. I reached under the car, found the drain plug, removed it and then 3 seconds later realized from the smell that I was draining the transmission. I got the plug reinstalled but it was too late. I had to have the car towed to the local Audi dealership to add more transmission fluid. Those cars didn't have a transmission fluid dipstick or standard fill hole. They had to be filled at a certain temperature and through the drain hole with a special system. It was a $500 mistake but it was my mistake.

Here's the front axle gear case oil and differential case oil check/change procedure on my M6060.

m6060_axle_differential_case_oil.jpg

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
Seems to me that everyone is to blame except the person that removed the wrong plug. It's the manual's fault, it's Kubota's fault, "someone screwed up and it wasn't me".

Back in 2010 or so I bought a low mileage Audi Allroad 2.7L twin turbo for my wife and drove it across the US before shipping it to Hawaii. I was excited to change the oil as soon as I picked it up from the docks. By the time I got home it was dark but I couldn't put it off. I reached under the car, found the drain plug, removed it and then 3 seconds later realized from the smell that I was draining the transmission. I got the plug reinstalled but it was too late. I had to have the car towed to the local Audi dealership to add more transmission fluid. Those cars didn't have a transmission fluid dipstick or standard fill hole. They had to be filled at a certain temperature and through the drain hole with a special system. It was a $500 mistake but it was my mistake.

Here's the front axle gear case oil and differential case oil check/change procedure on my M6060.

View attachment 125010
Your manual better shows what to do on mine than my paper manual... lol. Obviously I made the mistake but it's a very poor design choice to reuse a hole used for plugs in other versions of that tractor to hold a shutter. Especially when it's an easy to remove bolt that on alot of other tractors would be the drain plug.... or check plug

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
At the very Least Kubota should have installed a “Lock-Tab” on that bolt-head to give an indication it’s not to be ordinarily removed.