Mouse victory

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Never had issues with mice living on the cabin air filter until the last two years with this year being the worse. They don’t make it past the filter but make a stinky mess. Well today was evection day. 2x5 piece of .25 wire mesh and victory is mine. Well, until they find a new way in

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Nice job on the screen!

As for the rest... The best thing about cats is they are never really Your pet. They usually hate you. You usually also hate them. There is usually, not always, no mutual affection.

You want them around only because they eat mice. They only want you around to provide a place where mice are easier to catch than in the wild. Like in a warm barn, engine bay or tractor.

If you were 5" tall, your cat would eat you. No question. No matter how many tender viddles you fed it.

So when the cat finally leaves and disappears, only your 8 year old daughter might cry a little. Then, just go get another cat.

Get a cat because they eat the damaging rats and mice.

Get a dog for a loving dedicated friend. But train it to leave your cat alone.

I've seen some loving cats before, but there's always a catch.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

wp6529

Equipment
B7100DT
Oct 31, 2023
TX
Nice job on the screen!

As for the rest... The best thing about cats is they are never really Your pet. They usually hate you. You usually also hate them. There is usually, not always, no mutual affection.

You want them around only because they eat mice. They only want you around to provide a place where mice are easier to catch than in the wild. Like in a warm barn, engine bay or tractor.

If you were 5" tall, your cat would eat you. No question. No matter how many tender viddles you fed it.

So when the cat finally leaves and disappears, only your 8 year old daughter might cry a little. Then, just go get another cat.

If you speak cat, they nearly always become the most loving, loyal, affectionate companions you will ever find.

Reactions: 3 users

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
Nice job on the screen barrier, I would also add a one or two dryer sheets, they hate the smell and won't chew on it to make nests.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Nice job on the screen!

I find some of your comments about cats are opinions that I find contrary to my experiences.

Reactions: 1 users

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
If you speak cat, they nearly always become the most loving, loyal, affectionate companions you will ever find.
I’ve tried to keep barn cats for mice control but gave up. The owls always get the cats within 6 months.

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
They usually hate you. You usually also hate them. There is usually, not always, no mutual affection.

My BB kitty, aka Lil' Beebs, disagrees. Vehemently.

Behold:
IMG_20240220_185910.jpg

If he has a catch then it must be his 2nd amendment fanaticism:

20240221_193634.jpg

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
yup 'cats vs dogs'.... CATS win !!
My best friend "Cloudy', has used up 4 of his 9 lives. 3 to a red fox,1 to a coyote. No, 5 really. he spent 4 days and nights in wife's wine cellar.
He's the only cat of 6 I've had I am NOT allergic to ! 1st cat Wiley would atatck on command(yeah ,dog friend said 'no way). I issued the command, whack, friend's eyeballs went BIG ! Cloudy in my chair...
Think we can all agree though having a 4 legged friend can be better than most 2 legged versions !
meow.jpg
Snow_Kitten.jpg

• Haha

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Both of these showed up as kittens. The calico was probably in someone's engine area and got out with part of her tail missing. The one with no tail (Bob is his name!) was dumped at the gate at my farm and lived there for a few months before my wife brought him home.

Attachments

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
My neighbor has cats. Lots of them. We have a few that make their rounds through our property but they avoid our buildings. I think he has them just to feed the owl and hawks around here. I’m highly allergic to cats so we will not have them. The actual screen size was 12”x5”. I’d do the dryer sheet but it is our old CRV that the boy drives. If he wants it to smell nice and deter mice, he can do it. I may get in to our Accord and Ridgeline this weekend. I bet Honda did not add a screen to those either. Super easy access. Remove the wiper arms and pull 4 push pins then pop that plastic cover off. A few self tappers and job done.
I did a bunch of traps when I noticed mouse droppings in December during the cold snap. We got 4 and since that point I’ve not seen signs in the equipment or on the floor. Helps that we haven’t had a winter and they are staying outside.

wp6529

Equipment
B7100DT
Oct 31, 2023
TX
My neighbor has cats. Lots of them. We have a few that make their rounds through our property but they avoid our buildings. I think he has them just to feed the owl and hawks around here. I’m highly allergic to cats so we will not have them. The actual screen size was 12”x5”. I’d do the dryer sheet but it is our old CRV that the boy drives. If he wants it to smell nice and deter mice, he can do it. I may get in to our Accord and Ridgeline this weekend. I bet Honda did not add a screen to those either. Super easy access. Remove the wiper arms and pull 4 push pins then pop that plastic cover off. A few self tappers and job done.
I did a bunch of traps when I noticed mouse droppings in December during the cold snap. We got 4 and since that point I’ve not seen signs in the equipment or on the floor. Helps that we haven’t had a winter and they are staying outside.
FYI I used to be highly allergic to cats (and a few other things). I found a good allergist and with a few years of allergy shots (ended 4 years+ ago) I am no longer allergic to anything. That's the great thing about allergy shots, they work for something like 92% of people and after a few years of treatment the effect is permanent.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I do the shots as well. I can now tolerate a cat in the house for about 40 minutes before I need to get out. Prior to the shots it was about 2 minutes and I needed an epi pen

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Mom's boyfriend parked his truck for three days while waiting for a part to come in.

After fixing the truck, he started it, (it was really cold) turned the heat on and the fab motor blew its fuse.

Replaced the fuse and it blew another one 🤔🤔🤔🤔

He pulled the dash apart and got a face full of acorns 😂🤣😂🤣 a pack rat filled the whole ductwork slap full of acorns.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
^^^^^

Agreed. Though I admit to liking dogs better, I do like cats as well.

My Calico will go on walks (side by side with my Dachshunds) when I take the dogs each day. Then I go for MY walk and she will follow along for the first 1/2 mile or so.

I have a path about 1/4 mile long I keep mowed in the pasture behind the house. Makes a convenient place for an old man to walk and get some exercise.

'Fancy' will walk out ahead sometimes, other times walk behind or even stop at times and then catch up. But always goes with me for part of my jaunt.

I try to get in 2-3 miles each day. She will go part of that way and then wants to hunt gophers. But a very affectionate and social cat.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I’ve tried to keep barn cats for mice control but gave up. The owls always get the cats within 6 months.
It's a small hassle but I keep my barn cat employees alive by keeping them shut in the barn. Owls, coyotes, eagles, bobcats and this is the suburbs! When the big sliding doors are open I keep them shut in the tack room. They are fed in there so easy to do, just shake the crunchy container. Anything furred, feathered, or scaled that ventures into the barn is dispatched efficiently.