A winch on my 2502

Yotekiller

Equipment
Kubota L2502, LP 60" BB, LP pallet forks, 60" KK Tiller, 55" HSI root grapple
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
So what are you going to do with the wood,, lumber, firewood, what?
The good logs I plan to sell.. The less valuable trees are being turned into firewood and sold. I may mill some up as well.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
This is the rig I have on my BX. 175 Amp Andersons and #4 Fine copper welders cable.

Yotekiller

Equipment
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
This is the rig I have on my BX. 175 Amp Andersons and #4 Fine copper welders cable.

That looks great!

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Thanks for the link! I am wanting to attach to my drawbar and hoping there will be enough room to have the winch mounted AND my box blade on the back. This way I can drop the box blade and act as an anchor and offer stability as well.
Maybe... Just a thought... Mount the winch to the back of the box blade. As close to the bottom as possible. If you have or know someone who has serious welding skills.

Run some 00 wire and the right sized electrical plugs. One plug near the tractor battery, and the other right at the winch.

Run your top link pretty long on the 3 pt and let that rear blade dig deep. Keep the tractor in neutral gear and let the blade be the anchor. Most of the stress will be on the blade and upper link.

(Edit: Could break the upper link right off of the tractor!!!! Nevermind.
Just put a winch on your truck).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

JasonW

Jan 29, 2015
Al
I’ve posted this picture before of mine. It has 65ft of rope. If you need more length use winch rope extensions.
You don’t want to make a full length pull with any electric winch. Refer to the manual on the duty cycle, based on load and time.
Depending if you have a FEL for clearance reasons, use a full size 8k-12k electric winch. Or setup a hydraulic winch.

1BA81AF9-B4D6-4A7D-9EF5-27F1BADA4D43.jpeg

Yotekiller

Equipment
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
Maybe... Just a thought... Mount the winch to the back of the box blade. As close to the bottom as possible. If you have or know someone who has serious welding skills.

Run some 00 wire and the right sized electrical plugs. One plug near the tractor battery, and the other right at the winch.

Run your top link pretty long on the 3 pt and let that rear blade dig deep. Keep the tractor in neutral gear and let the blade be the anchor. Most of the stress will be on the blade and upper link.

(Edit: Could break the upper link right off of the tractor!!!! Nevermind.
Just put a winch on your truck).

I think a drawbar mount will work fine and then using the box blade to help plant the tractor. And after seeing that pic last week of the dude who ripped off the entire back half of his rear axle, I am nervous putting too much strain on my hydraulic top link..

Yotekiller

Equipment
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
I’ve posted this picture before of mine. It has 65ft of rope. If you need more length use winch rope extensions.
You don’t want to make a full length pull with any electric winch. Refer to the manual on the duty cycle, based on load and time.
Depending if you have a FEL for clearance reasons, use a full size 8k-12k electric winch. Or setup a hydraulic winch.

View attachment 123264

Thanks! I think I have just decided to go ahead with a 3500# winch with 50 feet of rope. That will hopefully get me close enough with maybe an extension occasionally...

Reactions: 1 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
The good logs I plan to sell.. The less valuable trees are being turned into firewood and sold. I may mill some up as well.
OK if you are going to skid them, the log skidding cone will help a ton

Way back when we made one out of an old car hood, when the nose of the log is up, even a bit, the rest will slide along and the front isnt digging in you are a lot safer and it is easyer on the equipment. There are a ton of different ones out there and if you do a youtube search and are half ways good with a welder, welll Bobs your uncle

Yotekiller

Equipment
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
OK if you are going to skid them, the log skidding cone will help a ton

Way back when we made one out of an old car hood, when the nose of the log is up, even a bit, the rest will slide along and the front isnt digging in you are a lot safer and it is easyer on the equipment. There are a ton of different ones out there and if you do a youtube search and are half ways good with a welder, welll Bobs your uncle

Thank you for the link! Yeah, I have been thinking about this a lot the last few days. I was thinking about trying a plastic smooth 55 gallon drum cut down and a hole drilled through the end to pass the wire through.

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
Those cones are great.
I’m a little addicted to winches. I have one on almost everything I own plus one that mounts to a trailer receiver so endless applications. For me they are more occasional use or in a pinch kinda things. Guess i just like em.
If I’m pulling logs all day I’m using snatch blocks and pulling power. Much faster I find then dealing with winch retrieval speeds and being perfectly aligned with what I’m winching on.
I set a snatch block up high in the location i want the logs. Nothing crazy. Back the tractor up to it then run the rope to tree obviously through snatch block then tie and pull. Once log is at the block give it some slack jump out untie from tractor then reverse back to the pile leaving the rope between the tires. Untie log and drag rope back down to logs needed to be skidded. And so on moving the snatch block as needed or even using two some times. For me this has been the fastest and easiest way to solo skid logs.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
when the nose of the log is up, even a bit, the rest will slide along and the front isnt digging in you are a lot safer and it is easier on the equipment. T
^^^^^
Agreed, it really can not be overstated how important it is to either lift the front of the log or use some type of a skidding device.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Those cones are great.
I’m a little addicted to winches. I have one on almost everything I own plus one that mounts to a trailer receiver so endless applications. For me they are more occasional use or in a pinch kinda things. Guess i just like em.
If I’m pulling logs all day I’m using snatch blocks and pulling power. Much faster I find then dealing with winch retrieval speeds and being perfectly aligned with what I’m winching on.
I set a snatch block up high in the location i want the logs. Nothing crazy. Back the tractor up to it then run the rope to tree obviously through snatch block then tie and pull. Once log is at the block give it some slack jump out untie from tractor then reverse back to the pile leaving the rope between the tires. Untie log and drag rope back down to logs needed to be skidded. And so on moving the snatch block as needed or even using two some times. For me this has been the fastest and easiest way to solo skid logs.
If I may where are you inthe GWN ?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
LOL,, well no snow is good snow,, I know the area I have done some diving years ago in Georgian Bay the clearest and coldest water I have ever been in! I have a very good friend up in the Greenstone area, I kinda like it up there, more water to fish than a man has time to.

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
LOL,, well no snow is good snow,, I know the area I have done some diving years ago in Georgian Bay the clearest and coldest water I have ever been in! I have a very good friend up in the Greenstone area, I kinda like it up there, more water to fish than a man has time to.
Ya the Thunder Bay Area is pretty sweet. You’re not kidding about Georgian Bay being cold either.

Showmedata

Equipment
LX3310
May 18, 2022
Boulder CO
Tip: you can buy cheap 4ga jumper cables online for a fraction of the price of regular 4ga stranded wire. I'm sure the wire isn't of the highest quality, but IMO the duty cycle limits of the electric winch motor means it won't be running under heavy load long enough to cook the wires.

Yotekiller

Equipment
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
Tip: you can buy cheap 4ga jumper cables online for a fraction of the price of regular 4ga stranded wire. I'm sure the wire isn't of the highest quality, but IMO the duty cycle limits of the electric winch motor means it won't be running under heavy load long enough to cook the wires.
That's a really good idea! I have bought extension cords in the past for wiring up off-road lights which was a lot cheaper. I hadn't considered the jumper cable idea. Thanks!