A really bad day

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
I have owned 2 dedicated TLB machines, over a period of 37 years.
I was NOT referring to 3 pt. hitch backhoe attachments.
I never have,.... nor ever would....., buy one of those!
Biketopia specifically mention 3ph backhoes in his post. You stated "IMHO, your logic is only partially correct". My reply was based on your statement quoted above.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I do feel sorry for the neighbor and the cost to repair. I have no idea what it will take for him to step up to pay for the repair.

What I have learned from this is you can borrow my tractor but I will be the operator. This only applies to a close circle of family and friends.

I currently have KTAC and in a few months my tractor will be paid off. After that I will have some type of coverage like KTAC to cover me when on family property but not personal property.
"some type of coverage".......like "CarShield" ???.....for a tractor ???
Those type deals are almost ALWAYS a bad $$$ bet!
Kinda like Vegas.....occasionally.....somebody wins!

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Sadly the wrench turner is getting maybe $25 per hour with no benefits. AGG/Construction Mechanic turnover in this area is ridiculous. Quality of repairs is also a problem im my area. If you do find a shop that does good work, the wait to get repairs is several weeks.
Very generally the load factor for skilled labor is about 3. So I’d be nice if the employee gets $50/hr if they bill out at $150/hr. That’s in the PNW, in the skilled labor and technical white collar end of things I’m aware of, YMMV.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
With all due respect, what do you have to back this statement up?
That is a shock load, caused by the three point arm going past it's stop, not something the bracket guards against.
Also, because the way the bracket works, it's designed for pulling force not for twisting force which is also what happened to this unit.
Also all of the bolts where the bracket would have attached are completely removed.
So the bracket would still attached to the part that's broken off. ;)

Reactions: 1 users

biketopia

Equipment
B2650, RK 60" BB, 42" tiller, 72" LP FM, Forks, Grapple, FEL
Feb 15, 2024
Warrenton VA
IMHO, your logic is only partially correct.
Yes.....you could rent, ...multiple times!

The real issue is: would you rent,.... every single time that you needed to lift/dig/move something?
The inconvenience issue becomes major, with multiple rentals.

Bottom line, is that an owned BH is instantly available all day, every day.
An amazingly useful tool, even if used less than an average of one hour each week.
Biketopia specifically mention 3ph backhoes in his post. You stated "IMHO, your logic is only partially correct". My reply was based on your statement quoted above.
My comment about shopping for a tractor and the 3PH BH was probably a little confusing. When I was shopping for a tractor was pretty much height of covid, no dealers had anything on the lot, 6+ month wait if you were lucky. The backhoe attachment on a B series added about $7k at the time. We had just bought a house and I was doing some serious back and forth on if it was must have, or nice to have. Started looking at used machines that just had a FEL and had heard of 3ph BH, did a little research and decided that was a great way to ruin an investment. Ended up getting a used B2650 with 104 hours on it.

I have yet to have a need to dig a hole I couldn't do with what I have. Also, the ground around me if full of large, hard rock. Neighbors built shortly after we moved in and a JD 710 with a ram hoe couldn't break up enough rock to get their alternative septic tank down to grade. I have a grapple for when I need to pick things up.

Back to the OP's situation...that really sucks. I'm sure that estimate will go up once they get into it. I know our homeowners policy covers my machine at home, but I had never thought about when I take it over to buddies or down to my folks place.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
My comment about shopping for a tractor and the 3PH BH was probably a little confusing. When I was shopping for a tractor was pretty much height of covid, no dealers had anything on the lot, 6+ month wait if you were lucky. The backhoe attachment on a B series added about $7k at the time. We had just bought a house and I was doing some serious back and forth on if it was must have, or nice to have. Started looking at used machines that just had a FEL and had heard of 3ph BH, did a little research and decided that was a great way to ruin an investment. Ended up getting a used B2650 with 104 hours on it.

I have yet to have a need to dig a hole I couldn't do with what I have. Also, the ground around me if full of large, hard rock. Neighbors built shortly after we moved in and a JD 710 with a ram hoe couldn't break up enough rock to get their alternative septic tank down to grade. I have a grapple for when I need to pick things up.

Back to the OP's situation...that really sucks. I'm sure that estimate will go up once they get into it. I know our homeowners policy covers my machine at home, but I had never thought about when I take it over to buddies or down to my folks place.
Better check with your insurance company about "off premises" tractor coverage.
Seems likely that KTCA (equipment) coverage would follow the tractor, wherever you might break it.
Your ( homeowners ) liability coverage, however, is a very different animal.
Get ANY/ALL coverage definition, in writing from agent/company!
No phone calls....he said....she said...!

Last edited:

biketopia

Equipment
Feb 15, 2024
Warrenton VA
Better check with your insurance company about "off premises" tractor coverage.
Seems likely that KTCA (equipment) coverage would follow the tractor, wherever you might break it.
Your ( homeowners ) liability coverage, however, is a very different animal.
Get ANY/ALL coverage definition, in writing from agent/company!
No phone calls....he said....she said...!

Only been a member here a week and I've already gotten so much useful info, thanks!

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Only been a member here a week and I've already gotten so much useful info, thanks!
Stick around, you will eventually get to see the ugly side of an argument I mean difference of opinion. We are just one happy family until we aren't.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

biketopia

Equipment
Feb 15, 2024
Warrenton VA
Stick around, you will eventually get to see the ugly side of an argument I mean difference of opinion. We are just one happy family until we aren't.
Happens on all the forums I'm on. I grew up when the internet was just starting to be a thing, I've seen a lot, and probably even more than I should of.

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Looks like the box blade that did all this damage was moving pretty fast when it got jammed. Assuming the pin broke during the incident, forces high enough to cause that much breakage are most likely from tractor mass inertia - like hitting a rock at speed.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Happens on all the forums I'm on. I grew up when the internet was just starting to be a thing, I've seen a lot, and probably even more than I should of.
I was around when the internet as most people know it did not exist. At that time the "forums" were message boards where the inventors of the internet shared thoughts, ideas, and protocol designs for the new network.

Thats also where the term "flame war" was invented. Wars were generally "polite" reasoned academic debates with a touch of sarcasm added for flare but at times they got mildly personal. Today its pretty much the total opposite.

Dan

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
re:
In today's world an Autocad or similar drawing file is all the CNC shop needs. I do 2D steel and aluminum flatwork parts from DXF files all the time. Its cheap and fast!!

It was a LOT faster for me to make a wooden template than to bootup the PC with Autocad lite and try to draw on the screen what I wanted. Today another friend just takes 3-4-5 pictures of an object, inputs into his computer and 'magically' his source code converts into code to run his homemade CNC machine to carve out the 'object d'art'.

as for the accident, it's part of the 3 point hitch design. That accident can't happen when running Allis-Chalmers Snap-Coupler equipment. Lift latches disengage when plow hits immovable rock.

considering labour is $100 per hour...40 hours is $4K..one of those 'time is money' deals. If there's a cab on the tractor I can see the cost going a LOT higher.
"Labour" is $100 per hour ($75 USD) in Canada?
I'm moovin back to Canada!

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I was around when the internet as most people know it did not exist. At that time the "forums" were message boards where the inventors of the internet shared thoughts, ideas, and protocol designs for the new network.

Thats also where the term "flame war" was invented. Wars were generally "polite" reasoned academic debates with a touch of sarcasm added for flare but at times they got mildly personal. Today its pretty much the total opposite.

Dan
Haha. I forgot how things were "back when" in the previous century. The first forum I was involved in was KelTec. It was a cumbersome message back-and-forth that wasn't user friendly - at least for me.

Next were a couple gun boards. ShootersTalk was one of my favorites. There were interesting characters there - DonOTMW, JeffOTMG, Bren to name a few. For a while they tried to accommodate the more spirited discussions on one section called Cracker Barrel Hot. After a short while, it became a little too hot. As soon as opinions are shared, there are those who are ready to go into battle mode because THEIR opinion is the only one they believe everyone should share.

My take on things is based on my personal experiences, whether it's a pickup truck, tractor or toothbrushes. Everyone has different experiences. When someone has an opinion that doesn't align with mine I try to accept it and move on. Every now and then I'm not successful at it:)

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
here's a scary thing.....
In the early days i was on a woodworking BBS/forum and asked about a giant belt sander,like in shop class, where you sand table tops.....fast forward..... when I google myself and the correct keywords, my 'thread' shows up !!!
kinda showed me once on the net, always on the net

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA

Dan
Dan, you must be a youngster! I was around before Color TV and certainly long before anybody had a thought about a personal computer.

Internet? I feel like I was middle-aged when the Internet came about… Might've been younger… But certainly in my 30s.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Back on topic...

If I remember correctly, the claim is that one of the pins holding the box blade to one of the lower link arms broke.

edit: from post #63: "Some details on what happened. Neighbor was box blading gravel driveway. Left side pin on box blade failed, was connected properly ( I don't know the details). Box blade tripped and flipped up jamming top link and right lift arm. Neighbor stated it about threw him out of the seat when it happened."

This caused the box,blade to shift away from the side that the pin broke on, obviously moving backwards away from the tractor.

I'm having trouble seeing how that would cause the other lower link on the other side to violently raise upwards, if the tractor was moving in the forward direction.

I can see how that would happen if the tractor was moving backwards… I think I can see it anyway.

But moving forward, something isn't registering. Did this event happen when the operator was pushing backwards with the box blade?

Sorry for the simple question, but I obviously must've missed something… I would really like to understand what happened to cause this damage.

I mean what I need to understand, is why the lift arm actually went up and caused the housing to break, if the tractor was moving forward.

It just seems like if the box blade broke free from one side and that side was back furthest from the tractor and digging into the ground, that it would cause the lower arm to go down rather than up. If the tractor was moving forward.

What am I missing?

Last edited: