A really bad day

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Here's a link posted 20 years ago about a similarly broken L4610. The top corner of the trans housing gave way when a huge load went into the top 3-point link. In that case there was a logging winch on the back, with the large log load drawn up tight. It was thought the break happened when the front axle came off the ground going over a rise.

At that time that L4610 tractor was off warranty - but Kubota agreed to help with the parts cost. But the labor cost was up there too - a lot of disassembly is needed to replace those major castings.

To complicate the present situation, several versions of that transmission housing are no longer listed as available. Its the same basic casting as used on the L35 (with some differences in drilled holes, etc .) and even people looking for similar replacements are scrambling to find options.

Sorry to add to the gloom here. Maybe the proper future is to install a subframe backhoe and forget using this machine for its 3-point hitch top link? Take care, Dick B.

Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
A family member loaned his Kubota 3800 to his neighbor.
Does your family member have the tractor insured under KTAC, or any insurance for that matter?

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Here's a link posted 20 years ago about a similarly broken L4610. The top corner of the trans housing gave way when a huge load went into the top 3-point link. In that case there was a logging winch on the back, with the large log load drawn up tight. It was thought the break happened when the front axle came off the ground going over a rise.
The owner of the tractor I saw in pieces at the local dealership a few months ago was doing some logging too.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
why's the tranny case so pricey south of the 49th ? $1248 here in Canada
L3800DT..hmm... maybe OP has the F or HST version ?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

At that time that L4610 tractor was off warranty - but Kubota agreed to help with the parts cost. But the labor cost was up there too - a lot of disassembly is needed to replace those major castings.

To complicate the present situation, several versions of that transmission housing are no longer listed as available. Its the same basic casting as used on the L35 (with some differences in drilled holes, etc .) and even people looking for similar replacements are scrambling to find options.

Sorry to add to the gloom here. Maybe the proper future is to install a subframe backhoe and forget using this machine for its 3-point hitch top link? Take care, Dick B.
An entire parts tractor might be the order of the day. Just split and reassemble.

Dan

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Here some pics of the broken L4610 posted on TBN back in 2004:

P1010006.jpg P1010011.jpg P1010016.jpg P1010021.jpg
Brittle fracture of cast iron fits right back in place. We took out the rockshaft and sealed the rest of it up so the tractor was usable that way until the fix could be scheduled.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
An entire parts tractor might be the order of the day. Just split and reassemble.

Dan
THAT could very likely be the way to go.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Ouch!!!

I would say the 3pt was severely overloaded and/or he pulled from the top link. Fixing thats going to be pricey.

Dan

Same thing can happen if you back into something (hit tree with implement). My Brother in Law did something similar with his father's tractor one time.

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
I think GCMKCM's Post #16 contains some important observations - unusual forces were pushing upward against the hitch, the rockshaft's hydraulic cylinder maybe acting as a post pushing backward, breaking out the top link area? Serious carnage.

Maybe there is more to be known about what was happening at the time.

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
No, off warranty. I don't think homeowners will cover, off of property.
I know that MY homeowner policy WILL NOT cover off property use of any kind!

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Ask your neighbor if his homeowner's insurance will cover it. The worst that they can say is NO but it is worth asking. I don't take my tractor off property and I have a separate policy for my tractor for damage and theft. My homeowners cover the liability.

Reactions: 2 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Suggest both parties contact their insurance carriers. A bit of a shot in the dark but if either hits, that’s a big win and there’s no downside risk.

On premises v off premises is irrelevant for a Section 1 loss in NC (which this would be if it’s covered). Other states may vary but seeing you’re located in NC, I’m assuming that’s the venue. Unfortunately, depending on the specifics of exactly what happened and the policies involved, there are about a half dozen other reasons it likely isn’t covered on a standard homeowner policy.

You mentioned the operator has a skidsteer. If he has some sort of farm or commercial insurance on his equipment, there are at least a few dozen potential iterations of how that could be set up. It is very much possible to purchase coverage for non-owned equipment in the care, custody, or control of the insured as part of a farm or commercial insurance program. In my experience, it certainly isn’t universal, but it isn’t uncommon either.

While it’s unlikely to be covered unless the owner had it specifically scheduled, there’s absolutely no way to know whether the owner’s or operator’s insurance may apply without checking with both. The experience of others in other states is completely 100% irrelevant. Along that line, if the venue isn’t NC, the only part of the above that’s relevant is that it’s a good idea to check on insurance even if you think it isn’t covered.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
A person familiar with skid-steer operations might be unknowledgeable or unfamiliar of the differences in strengths/weaknesses of tractors. I believe the 3 pt hitch of a tractor is designed for Pulling and Lifting…. Not pushing (as I’ve seen some operators attempt, as with a reversed-blade using it as a grader, dozer, etc.)…. and if a resistant item (tree trunk, rock, dirt-pile) is “rammed” in such an operation…. it’s not considered that the tractor is for TRACTION… Pulling…. The Forces of backing or ramming into a resistant object isn’t considered/accommodated in the design… Nor is a 3-pt hitch intended for high-speed, rough-terrain carriage of heavy 3-pt implements.

I’d be surprised if homeowners insurance would cover abuse or mis-use.

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
After reading parts might(will..) be an issue, neigbour should burn coal to PA and bring that other tractor home PDQ ! Owner gets the tractor AND some 'breathing time' to locate parts to fix the 'booboo' and the 2 could 'turn wrenches' on a long weekend. At the end, 1st guy has 2 tractors, up and running, 2nd guy still has good relations with 1st .