freekin updates

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
The puter just did somekind of updates,, and my add blocker is gone, removed,,, GRRRRRRRRRRRR now I have to reinstall the damn thing!

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
It is not gone, just turned off so the update could install properly. Turn it back on. The program is still on your computer.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I looked every place I could and I couldnt find it, so I reinstalled it ,,,, again

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
The puter just did somekind of updates,, and my add blocker is gone, removed,,, GRRRRRRRRRRRR now I have to reinstall the damn thing!
What browser are you using?

Chrome? Firefox?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I bet he's using Chrome....wife's PC wouldn't do banking(kinda important ) yet mine was fine ( Firefox ).
The weird thing is the banking icon in the favourites bar had changed !

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I bet he's using Chrome....wife's PC wouldn't do banking(kinda important ) yet mine was fine ( Firefox ).
The weird thing is the banking icon in the favourites bar had changed !

I laughed my backside off on this comment.
My wife works in the accounting department of a multi million dollar, International operations company, with almost all of their banking being done remotely, and she does it all remotely via Google and chrome.

I have read 100's of comments in the last few days about google this and google that and 99.999% is all doom and gloom ranting.
Google and chrome are not out to do you in!
And yes we let windows, google and everything else do their updates anytime they think they need it. ;)

Reactions: 1 user

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
There could be in some cases hardware limitations. Even though that might not be the case here, old processors that ran Win 10 fine, might no longer be able to run certain apps due to Windows updates:

Also the Chrome requirements are more strict too:

To use Chrome browser on Windows, you'll need:
  • Windows 10 or later or Windows Server 2016 or later
  • An Intel Pentium 4 processor or later that's SSE3 capable
I think that some of my Windows Vista vintage computers running Win 10 are beginning to have issues with the browsers.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
It'd be interesting to know why the icon in the Koodo bookmarks toolbar 'magically' got changed on the wife's WIN10 desktop yesterday,especially since she hasn't access Koodo for a month.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have my updates permanently shut off... I think.... I hope!!!!
Not doing updates leaves you vulnerable to all sorts of issues.
I know everyone says won't happen to me, until it does.
Updates typically just make things work better not worse.

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
Vulnerability is a 'balance'.
If you have a 'stable,protected' version of a program and it does what YOU need it to, then no 'updating' is required. Hackers have next to zero interest in 'old' versions of Internet accessable programs ,like Operating Systems. There's no challenge. Hack into the latest Chrome for Windows 11+... great, get 'brownie points' from your mates.
I run an old version of eXcel on this Win10 machine. Yeah 'they ' say it can't be done, and it does NOT require OFFICE or Internet access but it does run my business including all federal tax forms. Also great for Inventory control and some 'ugly' math tables for my PIC projects. Heck, I can still run VISIcalc+ on an even older computer, it's never been hacked.
Several of my computers have never been connected to the Internet,don't even have dialup modems.
The biggest problem I have is the 'make money scam' by 'them'. Design an 'ap'(aka a program' ) the public just has to have, force you to buy a new computer to run the new Operating System you have to buy to run that 'must have' ap.

My point.. just because something 'newer' comes along doesn't MAKE it better. 'If it ain't broke,no need to fix'

• Love

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
What OS are you using? Windows 10 and up are ransomware, forcing the system to use Bing and reporting usage back to the mothership. Adblockers interfer with their corporate strategy.

I wish the Linux crowd would get off their collective hienie and offer a viable alternative.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yeah its chrome but the search engine Im using is duck duck go,, good bad or other wise I dont know. I just know this old dell with yes win 10 works, slowly more often tha not, even doing the scans for virus and malware . And yes it seems ever update some thing else has gone silly, I cons changed moved missing. I am not a puter geek so I dont know nuttin about dis stuff. Kinda like an old shade tree mechanic trying to figure out a new fly by wire car with all the bells and whistles, its way over my head. I just know what I know and thats not much

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
Wife's WIN10 machine updated CHROME overnight...HUGE friggin 'splash screen'.
Still curious as to what program CHANGED the Koodo icon in the bookmarks toolbar.

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
Not doing updates leaves you vulnerable to all sorts of issues.
I know everyone says won't happen to me, until it does.
Updates typically just make things work better not worse.
Not for me, I'm much more worried about Microsoft than any hackers... Unless I have to start worrying about: TBN, OTT or Youtube doing bad things to my computer.

I do next to NO surfing on the web or downloading. I have my wife order whatever I want on her Win11 computer. I've looked at her computer with Win11; He11 NO... Ad's out the yin yang.

I can't even remember the last year that I watched or saw an ad... and if there comes a time that is no longer possible... I'll just up and leave.