BX24 ran out of oil!

KKBL

Equipment
L2501 HST QA 525 loader, 42" forks, brush hog, grader/box/back blades
Jan 5, 2022
Girard, PA
I check oil regularly on all my vehicles and machines but not before every start. I've owned and driven vehicles for 40 years and never once broken down or run an engine with a low oil level so I must be doing something right.

I've only broken one engine in my life and it wasn't running when that happened.
Hi mcmxi, can you share what caused the non-running engine to break? It may help others to avoid the same problem.
Thank you.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Hi mcmxi, can you share what caused the non-running engine to break? It may help others to avoid the same problem.
Thank you.
Heck no! It wasn't a tractor, a car or a truck and there's nothing to be learned from my stupidity other than don't do stupid things, and don't assume that the person helping you is giving you good directions or advice. 😣

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Sounds like you dropped it and it broke.
Let's get back to the problem at hand i.e. an engine that might have seized up due to the possibility of insufficient oil.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
First.. here's the moral of this true story: The OP's tractor might not be seized up.

My personal true story:
It was 1970 something... I was 16 y/o and my Kubota B7100 flat out quit running in the middle of a field. Acted like it seized. Just like a bomb went off... Full Stop. No residual sputtering. I turned the key... click... nothing. No turning over at all. It was an oh $#!+ moment. I checked the oil, as I did every long workday. And it was fine.

Drove my pickup to a pay phone and called my dad. After an ear'full of him telling me where the cow ate all the engine maintenance cabbages, he continued.. And how I most likely seized the engine. He finally settled down. If I remember correctly, I shed a tear or two because I LOVED that Kubota. And if the engine was ruined because I didn't take the best care of it, then I'd let myself and my dad down. You get the idea. I was deeply crushed in my spirit. After he settled down, dad told me, in a nutshell: "Go fix it, it's your tractor now. Go check the oil, coolant, etc etc. Report back"!

I drove back to the field... I heard the radiator making grumbling sounds. Over heated! After closer inspection I found that the radiator fins were packed full of seedlings and grass clippings and dust and whatnot. I was rototilling a dry field. It was my 2nd day in that field on that job. Lots of dust and stuff in the air. I never checked the radiator fins.

I let it cool for an hour, then cleaned out the radiator fins, and let it sit a couple more hours. Check the coolant level, said a prayer, and turned the key... She fired right up.. I finished that job and reported the good news to my dad. I got a pass, and lived to tell this tale.

Tractor ran for two decades without issue.

I suppose my being so harsh regarding engine maintenance runs in my family. My dad has been dead for a while now, but his blood still flows in my veins.

Appologies to all.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
Appologies to all.
Apologies accepted and thanks for the story. Sounds like our fathers would have gotten along great. I’ve been known to do a dumb thing or two and don’t really mind being told lol. It’s just on these forums and other it will in most cases only result in the new members just being negative about ott and not continuing to update or contribute.
active members fire away lol JK

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I have read dozens of them. :)
When I bought the first MX6000, I was walking towards the barn with a friend to show it off to him and was telling him how I'd read the owner's manual cover to cover. Much to his amusement, when I wanted to show him the engine I couldn't find the hood release! :giggle: I had read the manual but clearly didn't absorb every part of it.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
When I bought the first MX6000, I was walking towards the barn with a friend to show it off to him and was telling him how I'd read the owner's manual cover to cover. Much to his amusement, when I wanted to show him the engine I couldn't find the hood release! :giggle: I had read the manual but clearly didn't absorb every part of it.
It's much easier to absorb when you can apply the information right then, rather then storing it for a later date.

Reactions: 2 users

airbiscuit

Equipment
New Holland T2310, New Holland TC21D, Kubota l3010 GST, Farmall H
Mar 18, 2021
NW WI
I hope Love My BX24 comes back on with an update.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
His profile says he was here a bit ago reading this thread. Who knows if he will post or not.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
heck, I'm still wondering WHO has actually READ the owners manual !:)
I only wish that women came with manuals so we could understand their way of thinking. Does anyone remember the genie joke about this subject?

• Haha

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I only wish that women came with manuals so we could understand their way of thinking. Does anyone remember the genie joke about this subject?
If they did come with manuals,...... the manual would be thousands of pages, and would be written in hieroglyphs.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I was walking along the beach and I saw a bottle and picked it up and dusted it off. A genie appeared and told me that I would get one wish. I told him that I was afraid to fly and I would like a bridge from LA to Hawaii. He then told me that was too daunting a task, so to make another wish. I thought for a moment and then asked him to explain to me the woman's thinking process. He put his hand to his chin and slowly said to me. " Do you want that bridge a 2-lane or 4-lane highway?"

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
You guys are drifting off subject a bit!! ;)
Perhaps we are drifting.....
but.....
IT is the one subject that NO ONE has been able to find an answer for!

airbiscuit

Equipment
New Holland T2310, New Holland TC21D, Kubota l3010 GST, Farmall H
Mar 18, 2021
NW WI
Okay, the update was posted yesterday in Post #1. Let's be kind, and no snarky responses.
***************************************************************************************************************************************

While using my snow blower, the tractor stalled twice then wouldn't restart. I discovered that there it was out to oil. A neighbour towed it back up the drive and into the garage. I refilled the oil, plugged in the block heater, then left it overnight. Now I can't get the engine to turn over. I checked the battery and even kept a charger attached to it, but it still didn't get past trying to start. I checked the safety switches, and they seem fine. Have I fried the motor? Any suggestions?

UPDATE: Thank you for all the suggestions. I am (obviously) a first-time tractor owner/user and the BX24 was purchased used, so no manual. I came to this forum hoping that 'newbies' could get help and not be met with unhelpful criticism. And, yes, I know very little about motors but I know about checking the dipstick, filling oil, and draining, etc. At Christmas, my sons came up to my rural property to put on the snowblower as well as changing the oil and running engine cleaner through the tractor. I assumed that they refilled the oil since they did go out and buy some. I didn't dirve it until the day before clearing the drive so that's why I didn't check it.