BX24 ran out of oil!

Love my BX24

Equipment
BX24 TBL, RCK54-23BX mower deck, BX2750 & BX2751 snow blower
Nov 19, 2022
Trent Hills, Ontario, Canada
While using my snow blower, the tractor stalled twice then wouldn't restart. I discovered that there it was out to oil. A neighbour towed it back up the drive and into the garage. I refilled the oil, plugged in the block heater, then left it overnight. Now I can't get the engine to turn over. I checked the battery and even kept a charger attached to it, but it still didn't get past trying to start. I checked the safety switches, and they seem fine. Have I fried the motor? Any suggestions?

UPDATE: Thank you for all the suggestions. I am (obviously) a first-time tractor owner/user and the BX24 was purchased used, so no manual. I came to this forum hoping that 'newbies' could get help and not be met with unhelpful criticism. And, yes, I know very little about motors but I know about checking the dipstick, filling oil, and draining, etc. At Christmas, my sons came up to my rural property to put on the snowblower as well as changing the oil and running engine cleaner through the tractor. I assumed that they refilled the oil since they did go out and buy some. I didn't dirve it until the day before clearing the drive so that's why I didn't check it.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 user

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I would say - IF true, if the oil did run dry (no light on dash came on???) then I would suggest you may have locked up the engine.

Reactions: 4 users

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Welcome to the forum, even if unfortunate circumstances brought you here.
I would try turning the engine over by hand, seeing if the crank will turn at all, or not.
Shutting off twice, with no oil in it, isn't a good sign. Prepare for the worse, anything else will be better.

Reactions: 4 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
“ but it still didn't get past trying to start.”

Not sure how to interpret that- Does it turn over (i.e., crank/spin the engine) and not fire?

Are there mechanical sounds like something is engaging but doesn’t turn over/crank the engine?

Do you get nothing - no sound- when turning the key to Start?

Last edited:

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Not to sound harsh, but if you don't know where to go from there it is time to tow it to a shop.

Reactions: 5 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
“ but it still didn't get past trying to start.”

Not sure how to interpret that- Does it turn over (i.e., crank/spin the engine) and not fire?

Are there mechanical sounds like something is engaging but doesn’t turn over/crank the engine?

Do you get nothing - no sound- when turning the key to Start?
Now RCW lets not try to get too much information at one time here. ;) ;) ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
It could be seized. It could be something else entirely. If it was all the way out of oil, well, that's likely to be bad. If the oil was low, then it may have been stopping for something unrelated to the oil.

More information will help us to give you better assistance.

But yes, a tractor out of oil that stops running, then won't turn over, has the potential to be expensive.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
It’s “Good Practice” ….to check the oil level in equipment before Each period of use…. But I admit I don‘t do so on the tractor and most other vehicles. (Airplanes are always checked…but I don’t do it with the truck or the RTV or the lawn mower, etc.)

When (decades ago) I moved out of the city to lease a hunting lodge in ranch country…. the landlord instructed me to ..without fail…..Always check the oil level in the John Deere before starting it. I figured he had a tractor that consumed oil and he was being cautious with a new lessee who might use it….. (although I never found it low on oil.).
I had no previous experience with diesels.

I’ve since learned …( mostly on this site, Thanks to you guys)… that diesels have a few “quirks” not usually found with other engines….. such as continuing to run with the fuel shut-off as it consumes it’s own lubricating oil…. or a “run away” , etc etc.

Sooo….. How many of us actually, religiously check the oil dipstick before Start…?

Is it possible this OP has a tractor that sucked or burned all it’s oil while being operated and he missed …or had an oil-press Warning-Lamp failure …. Is that sort of oil-consumption likely with a diesel…?? …to the degree it may not even be noticed in the exhaust-plume.. :oops:

Vince1230

Equipment
Bx2370
May 13, 2022
Honey Grove,Pa
Sorry to hear. I also would like to understand try to start. Is the engine cranking but no start? If so start at basics? Do you have fuel and spark?

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Buy this, problem solved

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I wonder if you polled 100 guys here, how many can honestly say they checked the oil in whatever car/truck they drive, at least every fillup, let alone every time they drive it ?

Reactions: 2 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Sorry to hear. I also would like to understand try to start. Is the engine cranking but no start? If so start at basics? Do you have fuel and spark?
SPARK? mmmmmmmmmmmm.............

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I wonder if you polled 100 guys here, how many can honestly say they checked the oil in whatever car/truck they drive, at least every fillup, let alone every time they drive it ?
Yeah, that’s where I was going earlier… I remember when I got my first job in H.S. at an Humble Station (now Exxon/Mobil)… The owner, Mr. Carlos Uresti trained every employee personally…. and he insisted he did Not own a “gas station”….He owned a SERVICE Station! ….. we had to check the OIL dipstick, TIRE-pressures, BATTERY-water, RADIATOR-level, and the Water BAG ….(yes, the early Fords which had a windshield washer stored it in a plastic BAG on the inside fender)… Wash the Windshield AND the rear window too….. We also had to ask the driver if they’d like us to open the trunk and check the SPARE…(a Full Sized spare in those days).

Only on rare occasions did a driver tell us NOT to do any of those things…usually a one-time-purchase passing-thru…not the many many many regular customers Mr. Uresti had developed over the many decades he was in the Houston Service Station business…. they knew we would do all those things…which is WHY they were his long-time regular customers.

When he retired, the Houston newspapers carried articles about him, he was that popular and well-known.

• Love