Dont Make This Political

Status
Not open for further replies.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
For years now I've traveled from one side of New Hampshire to the other side across the state and just by my schedule during primarys and November elections dozens of times in thirty years. So again yesterday I headed out going right thru Concord the capital and hard west to Vermont. In years past I'd see fifty to a hundred people with signs for their candidate especially in front of the capital building down town. Then in other places as I headed across and back across. But yesterday I saw 1 woman my whole trip holding a political sign in the tiny nowhere town of Stoddard New Hampshire.
It has to be the oddest primary day there I've personally seen.
The temp was 37* out just right to stand in the median and annoy traffic. But not yesterday. I'm guessing the laziness of American youth and people tired of politics in general is what I saw yesterday.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I think the 'tired of politics' is a major cause of what you saw. It feels like many are losing hope in our government and both sides feel betrayed.

Yet, life still goes on and many are living a very happy and productive life.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I think a large part of it is the fact that there is no good candidates in both parties to vote for and the fact that both parties are working hard to make sure a certain candidate wins regardless of what the people want. The system has become broken. There was a steady stream of people voting yesterday but no one campaigning across the street like there normally is when I voted.

Reactions: 4 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Between ballot harvesting, ballot stuffing, dead people voting, mail in voting, Dominion voting machine irregularities, stopping the vote count at 2am for "water main breaks', being able to vote for months instead of on election day, and the selective enforcement of election laws, many people believe we no longer have "Election day", but rather "Selection season".

I think that many just stopped believing in "fair elections", so they gave up.

• Dislike
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Rightly or wrongly, some years ago a large percentage of the populace believed we had a representative republic with representatives chosen via elections of unimpeachable integrity and, aside from clearly labeled editorials, a free press that held all sides accountable. There was freedom to debate without being “cancelled” for being on the “wrong” side of an issue, and laws were enforced with reasonable integrity unless and until they were modified legislatively.

Rightly or wrongly, a large percentage of the populace no longer believes that. There’s a widely held belief on both sides that “Of the people, by the people, for the people” is a facade that’s currently like a thin white wet T-shirt; it’s still kind of there but it’s so easy to see through there’s not much point in pretending any more. Whether that’s accurate or not isn’t the point. People aren’t going to participate if they don’t see participation as useful.

When Russia holds its presidential election this year does anyone expect the streets to be lined with people holding signs for any candidate other than Vladimir Putin? I’m not an expert on Russian politics but I suspect the answer is no. It’s not quite that advanced here but it’s not as far removed as it once was.

And none of that has anything to do with one party over another or any candidate over another. It’s a general loss of faith in the government system as a whole.

RDinNHandAZ

Equipment
Kubota BX1870, FEL, BX5450 Snowblower, back blade, customized snow cab
My experience in NH yesterday was quite different. I arrived at our poling place with some stalwart supporters out and a private car with a huge candidate sign on top parked in a lot overfilled with voters. The line was out the door literally. I decided to come back latter and asked a pole worker when might be a better time. They said 2pm so I went home. I live about 5 miles from the location. In my few moments there all the conversations were friendly and civil and the same when I returned and voted. The pole workers were careful, polite, friendly and the system was transparent and obviously honest. My judgment is the social media has corrupted our thinking not that the system itself has any real problems. Facts do matter more than loud opinions. NH’s turnout seems to have been a record despite the incumbent not being on the ballot. So far no one is objecting to the results.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
I'm no authority on any facet of life but I don't believe mankind has changed, prospered, improved or went downhill as a whole since history has been recorded.
Humans are easily manipulated by catering to their innate weaknesses. One of the earliest records we have of humans and their interaction is the Bible. Whether an individual believes what is recorded was inspired by a higher force or was simple written by mortal man, the game hasn't noticeably changed for the better or worse. There were false prophets BC ,AD and still are so one must sort out which they choose to believe or just go along for the ride. I think the last bunch might be growing and that accounts for lack of public supporters mentioned by OP. One might draw parallels to current activity to that leading up to the fall of Roman Empire. This doesn't start and end on the East coast and West coast of USA. If you look closely at other countries ( not necessarily countries with wars in the news, try Africa since it's large and populous) they have progressed farther on every issue most USA citizens believe are wrong.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I'm ashamed to say that it will be difficult for me to show up at the polling place in November. Neither of our out-of-touch parties really controls anything. They are ruled by special interests, who in turn make us servants rather than citizens.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I haven't missed an election since I started voting (at 74 that was a while back). On the other hand, I've never felt so strongly that it doesn't matter who wins. We've given control of our nation to a bunch of goofballs - both elected and unelected. The people pulling the strings have been in place for several administrations.

Reactions: 1 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I used to live near Stoddard. It isn't even a blip on the radar in size. I just looked up the population, and it hasn't changed much in the 60 years since I was there last. What has changed is that you don't have to pay a "Poll Tax" to vote. I think it was either 50 cents or 2 dollars to vote and register your car.
Population change for Stoddard totaled 1,141 over 50 years, from 242 in 1970 to 1,383 in 2020. The 2022 Census estimate for Stoddard was 1,416, which ranked 170th among New Hampshire's incorporated cities and towns.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
At the top of the hill at Pitcher Mountain
Rusty they had 40 or 50 head of Buffalo now.
Still a herd of scotisth long hair cows up on the mountain there, but now Buffalo fenced near the road.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
When I was a kid, my parents talked about: Values, morality, virtue, integrity, truth, liberty, honor, justice, responsibility, and the American way. And to love and pray for your spouse, family, God, veterans, police, and even the jerk neighbor. And to respect the American Government.

When the election didn't go the right way for my parents back then, they said:

"Respect the President, son, no matter that we didn't vote for him. The nation spoke. He is Our President". My mom cried when JFK was shot, and she was a staunch republican that did not vote for him.

Now, these days: The left are so far off of center that it comes down to having a nation or not.

It's a good time to be old.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
When I was a kid, my parents talked about: Values, morality, virtue, integrity, truth, liberty, honor, justice, responsibility, and the American way. And to love and pray for your spouse, family, God, veterans, police, and even the jerk neighbor. And to respect the American Government.

When the election didn't go the right way for my parents back then, they said:

"Respect the President, son, no matter that we didn't vote for him. The nation spoke. He is Our President". My mom cried when JFK was shot, and she was a staunch republican that did not vote for him.

Now, these days: The left are so far off of center that it comes down to having a nation or not.

It's a good time to be old.
"It's a good time to be old"
SO TRUE !!!

Reactions: 1 user

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I don't understand how a political topic isn't political.

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
I don't understand how a political topic isn't political.
Because the D.T. or J.B words have not been mentioned yet.
Even if I was a moderator here, I'd let it slide, so far.......

Status
Not open for further replies.