Need to transport BX2230

countrybx

New member

Equipment
BX2230, FEL, box, MMM
Jun 10, 2013
3
0
0
Robertson Co, TN
I tried looking & searching but still not sure how to do this. Moving & taking my BX with me! 250 miles but a serious long up & then down grade. Don't want this baby to move on me. Trailer is 6'x14' dual axle with electronic brakes. Will be moving it with MMM, loader & box blade attached. What securing points are best. Do have 2 heavy duty chains but do I need a 3rd or just wrap one in front to attach to each side of trailer. Clevis on back of tractor with chain? Closing on a new property & need the tractor before anything else and this is the first time I've needed to trailer it.

Any input appreciated. Thanks in advance!
 

Eric McCarthy

New member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
5,223
11
0
45
Richmond Va
Most places by law want 4 seperate points of tie down and a 5th if it has a boom. Works great if your hauling a bulldozer but you should be fine with your two chains. You could run one across the loader arms behind the bucket. On mine I run a clevis on the draw bar and that gives me a tie down point.

Are you using a ratchet binder or a lever binder to tighten the chains?

Also a good idea to stop every so often and check the chains and see if they came loose.
 

countrybx

New member

Equipment
BX2230, FEL, box, MMM
Jun 10, 2013
3
0
0
Robertson Co, TN
I'm picking up necessary items tomorrow. Any disadvantages/advantages of one type load binder over the other or is it just preference?
 

lsmurphy

Active member

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
1,197
5
36
Parrrottsville TN
I'm in the mountains here in E TN. I run a heavy strap over each side the front axle.........that's it.......never a problem.


Straps don't remove paint......that is if you care.
 

Kubota_Man

Member

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
953
2
18
Kellogg, Idaho
I'm with you lsmurphy. I use heavy duty ratchet straps myself. I put 2 up front to the frame and 2 on the back on the frame. I routinely travel over a mountain pass and sometimes 2 passes. I have never had and issue with my BX24 moving around or any law enforcement issues.
 

countrybx

New member

Equipment
BX2230, FEL, box, MMM
Jun 10, 2013
3
0
0
Robertson Co, TN
Thanks. I tend to err on side of caution & overkill myself. This move has had lots of kinks in it so didn't want to add more. Sometimes folks on I40 Up & down cumberland & through Knoxville can drive pretty crazy especially around those driving slower-- just not wanting any mishaps if need to slow/stop suddenly. But the most difficult was going to be getting onto my property--have a steep up hill to get to property line then very steep down grade & drive not in best condition. I'll just unload & drive it down.

Is it ever going to stop raining. I couldn't get any traction for my vehicle brakes & slid quite a bit going down last time. Going to get dozer guy & gravel in there or it will be lots of trips with a trailer as a truck isn't going to make it down--I visualize a pile of metal & kindling at the bottom.

Also, read somewhere that I need to cover the slow moving vehicle sign when it is on the trailer.

Thanks again for the input about being able to safely tow it.
 

bandaidmd

Member

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
603
0
16
Middle of DELMARVA
If you use the cam type binders on chain a small bungee arround the handle keeps it closed if it should get some slack. I keep a bungee ball (the loop like you use on a tarp)on each of my binders.
 

Eric McCarthy

New member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
5,223
11
0
45
Richmond Va
CHAIN CHAIN CHAINS! I never use straps on equipment EVER. I ran a tractor trailer for 2 years hauling a flat bed and even a 4 inch wide strap rated for 5500 broke all the time and too easy. Straps have their place for hauling and cargo but never on equipment since it takes nothing to nick and cut it once its tighten. Depending on the A-hole cop in the event you get stopped you can get a ticket for straps and not chains.

I'd go with a set of ratchet binders for chains. They tighten and hold better then lever binders do.
 

skeets

Well-known member

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
15,964
5,689
113
SW Pa
Not to seem like a smart azz er nuttin,,, but you might be way farther ahead if you gave a call to the State Police, and get right from the horses, a ,,,ahhhhhh ,,, mouth as it were, Just NHO you understand
 

Eric McCarthy

New member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
5,223
11
0
45
Richmond Va
I can promise you right now State PD will tell you 4 seperate points of tie down and 4 seperate binders with chains. And a 5th if it has a boom.
 

WFM

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
1,573
1,051
113
Porter Maine
Sometimes Eric is right...'rule #1..secure your load'....and there are laws that say that. If anyone here has a class B or A drivers license... remember the written part of the test...'how many tie down points per feet of length of load'...and growing up I've lost more then one thing off into the road...a ice fishing shack and a lawn mower comes to mind quickly. AND to whoever invented the ratchet strap. God Bless You. I was never a boy scout, a lobsterman or a navy man like my dad was. So me and tying knots..not so good.
 

bandaidmd

Member

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
603
0
16
Middle of DELMARVA
'how many tie down points per feet of length of load'
One every 10' with no less than 2. did I pass?

I often wonder how those guys that put containers on there flatbeds and run a single chain thru the holes on each end ever make it thru the scales.
 

Bulldog

Well-known member

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
5,434
80
48
Rocky Face, Georgia
I use ratchet straps on mine and have been for 15 yrs. Never had one break yet. I just can't make myself use a chain on the orange paint when a strap used properly works just as good.
 

DanDan

New member

Equipment
BX1860, L2600DT
Sep 21, 2012
125
1
0
SoCal
Following this thread with interest; just about to embark on some trailering myself.

I can promise you right now State PD will tell you 4 seperate points of tie down and 4 seperate binders with chains. And a 5th if it has a boom.
From what I can read of the federal regulations (www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/truck/vehicle/cs-policy.htm), small tractors weighing under 10,000lbs, like mine and that of the OP, can be secured using the same rules as for automobiles:

393.128 What are the rules for securing automobiles, light trucks and vans?
  • a. Applicability. The rules in this section apply to the transportation of automobiles, light trucks, and vans which individually weigh 4,536 kg. (10,000 lbs) or less. Vehicles which individually are heavier than 4,536 kg (10,000 lbs) must be secured in accordance with the provisions of 393.130 of this part.
  • b. Securement of automobiles, light trucks, and vans.
    Automobiles, light trucks, and vans must be restrained at both the front and rear to prevent lateral, forward, rearward, and vertical movement using a minimum of two tiedowns.
    Tiedowns that are designed to be affixed to the structure of the automobile, light truck, or van must use the mounting points on those vehicles that have been specifically designed for that purpose.
    Tiedowns that are designed to fit over or around the wheels of an automobile, light truck, or van must provide restraint in the lateral, longitudinal and vertical directions.
    Edge protectors are not required for synthetic webbing at points where the webbing comes in contact with the tires.

393.130 What are the rules for securing heavy vehicles, equipment and machinery?
  • a. Applicability. The rules in this section apply to the transportation of heavy vehicles, equipment and machinery which operate on wheels or tracks, such as front end loaders, bulldozers, tractors, and power shovels and which individually weigh 4,536 kg (10,000 lbs) or more. Vehicles, equipment and machinery which is lighter than 4,536 kg (10,000 lbs) may also be secured in accordance with the provisions of this section, with 393.128, or in accordance with the provisions of 393.100 through 393.114.
State troopers will obviously be enforcing their local requirements; if your state is like California, they defer to the federal req's.:

V C Section 34500.3 Cargo Securement Standards

Cargo Securement Standards

34500.3. (a) The department shall adopt rules and regulations that are designed to promote the safe operation of vehicles, regarding cargo securement standards. The regulations adopted pursuant to this section shall be consistent with the securement regulations adopted by the United States Department of Transportation in Part 393 (commencing with Section 393.1) of Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations, as those regulations now exist or are amended in the future.
As I am totally new to the trailering gig, I have no advice per se; just sharing the info I have found on the innerwebs.

My plan is to make sure everything is neat, tight, and tidy. I could do the minimum two point tie down, but I will probably go with an overkill 4-pt tiedown system anyhow.
I'd rather not be on the side of the road waving my copy of the vehicle code at some trooper...
 

bandaidmd

Member

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
603
0
16
Middle of DELMARVA
thanks for the link its been a while since i read thru the regs.
I learned what i always thought about securing a container was incorrect.

Specific Securement Requirements by Commodity Type

§393.130 What are the rules for securing heavy vehicles, equipment and machinery?
Question 1: If an item of construction equipment which weighs less than 4,536 kg (10,000 lb.) is transported on a flatbed or drop-deck trailer, must the accessory equipment be lowered to the deck of the trailer?

Guidance: No. However, the accessory equipment must be properly secured using locking pins or similar devices in order to prevent either the accessory equipment or the item of construction equipment itself from shifting during transport.

Question 2: How should I secure the accessories for an item of construction equipment which weighs 4,536 kg (10,000 lb.) or more, if the accessory devices would extend beyond the width of the trailer if they are lowered to the deck for transport?

Guidance: The accessory devices (plows, trencher bars, and the like) may be transported in a raised position, provided they are designed to be transported in that manner. However, the accessory equipment must be locked in place for transport to ensure that neither the accessories nor the equipment itself shifts during transport.

Question 3: A tractor loader-backhoe weighing over 10,000 pounds is being transported on a trailer. The loader and backhoe accessories are each equipped with locking devices or mechanisms that prevent them from moving up and down and from side-to-side while the construction equipment is being transported on the trailer. Must these accessories also be secured to the trailer with chains?

Guidance: No. However, if the construction equipment does not have a means of preventing the loader bucket, backhoe, or similar accessories from moving while it is being transported on the trailer, then a chain would be required to secure those accessories to the trailer.

It would appear from these guidelines that since our loaders don't have a lock it needs a strap/chain, same for a mower on the 3pt it would also need a strap/chain, then at least 2 for the tractor.
Now the question would be since these are commercial vehicle regulations are they the same for private haulers?
 

bandaidmd

Member

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
603
0
16
Middle of DELMARVA
If commercial regs are applied to anyone towing a trailer better make sure you have brakes on every wheel,not just the one axel as per usual.
 

DanDan

New member

Equipment
BX1860, L2600DT
Sep 21, 2012
125
1
0
SoCal
...Now the question would be since these are commercial vehicle regulations are they the same for private haulers?
I saw nothing in the excerpt of the California Vehicle Code that mentions commercial haulers, thus I figure it applies to all drivers; the California code specifically mentions and defers the federal code.

You are right, it looks like the federal code is specifically for commercial haulers:

The new cargo securement rules apply to the same types of vehicles and cargo as the old rules, covering all cargo-carrying commercial motor vehicles
 

bandaidmd

Member

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
603
0
16
Middle of DELMARVA
This thread got me curious and it just so happened that the Weigh station up the road from me was open on my way home so I stopped in and asked some questions.
The senario I presented to the weighmaster was my tractor on my 18' trailer with frt loader and bush hog attached,total weight appx 3000#.
How many straps? To be perfectly legal he said I would need 4,two on the tractor and one each on the loader and bush hog.The load securement regulations are the same commercial or not, he did say that I would likely never have a issue with them stopping me if I didn't use the straps over the implements but If there was ever a problem (such as a accident) I could be ticketed.
He went on further to say that if what I was hauling was over 10,000# it would need to be secured on all four corners by strap or chains of the proper size for the weight.

This was from The Maryland State Police Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Unit.
 
Last edited:

Bulldog

Well-known member

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
5,434
80
48
Rocky Face, Georgia
I would say that's pretty standard across the board. I think in most cases they will cut farmers some slack.

The best advise I would give whether it be commercial or not is have a clean, neat looking rig. Doesn't matter if you have a Kenworth and a drop deck or a pickup truck with a 16' utility trailer. If it looks neat and organized you have alot less trouble. If it looks like a rolling junk yard you are inviting the law to pull you over and go over every inch of your ride with a fine tooth comb.

Unless you really messed up a clean truck, trailer and tractor will get the thumbs up almost every time.
 

Eric McCarthy

New member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
5,223
11
0
45
Richmond Va
What always tickles me the most is what's wirtten in black from the FMCSA and what the weighmaster will tell you inside the chicken coop is NOT what the officer will ticket you for if he feels the need to bust your hump and make it up as he goes along.

How in the hell are you going to give me a 75 dollar fine because the bed in my sleeper was not made up and the sheets were not tidy and neat?!?!