Household Appliance Maintenance: Share Your Successes and Failures

UnEasyRider

Equipment
L3302 LA 526 loader, Box Scraper, Grappler, Forks, Rotary mower, Big Tool Rack.
Apr 14, 2023
Florida
I have a sweet tooth and a fondness for the old malt shoppe malt mixers. Been completely tearing them down and restoring them for a number of years ever since one of our boys wanted one and talked me into restoring one for his birthday. The internet is a great tool in finding supposedly non existent parts or an alternate replacement. It's now turned into a winter time hobby (sickness?). Some are given to nephews and nieces, and a few have been sold. Unlike today's appliances, these were built to be serviced and could last for who knows how long.

As good as a regular malt is on a hot day....... I discovered adding a little Kahlua or other adult flavoring of your choice really makes a tasty fine "Adult Milkshake"! We've restricted the use of the malt machine to only when we have company to help keep some room between myself and the front of the kubota steering wheel. (Even though it does have a tilt wheel!)

Been thinking of posting to your "What's Cooking" thread but this one seemed just as appropriate. Maybe I should put together a "How To" project in the "Off Topic" forum.

View attachment 63152 View attachment 63153

Anybody is welcome to stop on by for a tasty treat!!

David
Those are wayyyy cool!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Might use Permatex 81158 silicone adhesive sealant. It's good adhesive quality and flexible.
Looked up the properties and looks like a great choice. Thanks for the tip!

I’m sure I can make a big mess with it…..😉. I always failed Cut & Paste in school…..

Realized no bike inner tubes left, so we’ll sacrifice a brand new $5 one. Pretty light weight, so that’s good. Want a pliable patch especially exposed like it will be.

Will take some time to clean and dry. Have the patch kit ready.

IMG_6041.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
Looked up the properties and looks like a great choice. Thanks for the tip!

I’m sure I can make a big mess with it…..😉. I always failed Cut & Paste in school…..

Realized no bike inner tubes left, so we’ll sacrifice a brand new $5 one. Pretty light weight, so that’s good. Want a pliable patch especially exposed like it will be.

Will take some time to clean and dry. Have the patch kit ready.

View attachment 110016
Year and a half on my Electrolux pair and the latch on the dryer filter already failed with waranty over. About $130 for a plastic basket. The best part is it only holds it shut while you pull it in and out so not needed IMHO.

Bill

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I use to try and fix those things my self,, only to have them turn in that soft brown squishy stuff. So while it chafes me to do it I call in the guys that know what to do,,,, and yeah bytch about paying for it

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
B2601 with Fel and Bh70 backhoe
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Kinda success. Cuisinart coffee maker failed. Did a little testing with the multimeter and learned the heater element was open. 6 months left on warranty. Contacted Cuisinart. Provided proof of purchase (easy on Amazon), along with a pic showing the Power cord cut from the back of the unit. A replacement is supposed to be on its way!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I use to try and fix those things my self,, only to have them turn in that soft brown squishy stuff. So while it chafes me to do it I call in the guys that know what to do,,,, and yeah bytch about paying for it
Believe me my friend I've been down that road.

We don't have many service people to fix stuff around here anymore. Honestly, a couple of our appliances were bought from Lowes....

I've only been able to figure most of it out with the help of the internet.

I'm not that smart otherwise. Just ask anyone. ;)

Last edited:

pigdoc

Equipment
G1800S L2500
Aug 19, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
Enjoying this off-topic thread!

I've probably repaired a dozen or more appliances. Usually pretty simple stuff. Once you go 'under the hood' a few times, it becomes much less intimidating.

When an appliance goes suddenly, it's always a mini-crisis that needs to be dealt with immediately, if not sooner. Have bypassed a few limit switches on electric dryers to keep 'em limping temporarily...a carefully installed paper clip works pretty well..."Hun, don't leave the house when the dryer is running...OK?"

Last one was our 1990 dishwasher - started pissing on the floor. Not much, just a foot-sized puddle in the morning in the middle of the kitchen floor after running it. Thought about spending $100+shipping on a new three-piece door seal, but instead, took out the two soft plastic corner pieces and scrubbed all the crud out of them, siliconed 'em back in place, and then lubed them with WD-40. Problem 90% solved. That's fine, SWMBO wants a whole new kitchen soon anyway....

I've known a couple of appliance repairmen in my time (now THERE's a dying breed!), and they always kept a 'parts yard' of good machines to rob parts from. Kinda miss that resource...For awhile, back in the 1970s, Gene Gruenwald had a corner on the rebuilt washing machine transmission market in my area...

At one time, I owned THREE of the same model Maytag washing machine (early, no electronics).
Peace-of-mind, that's what that is. I don't think I paid anything for any of them. They were all premature retirees that ended up in a shed I was renting.

But, ya, the "value-added" by appliance manufacturers on what's actually inside of 'em is remarkable.

We're praying on our 1992 AC compressor. Seems to be working flawlessly, and we don't get a whole lot of use out of it...Probably should get in there and lube the motor bearings or something...see if there is any corrosion on the (copper) lines to get after...I cover it with a piece of plywood in the winter, just to keep the snow and ice out of it.

-Paul

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Our last washing machine died a premature death due to the spider (3 arms that hold the drum) corroding away. Aluminium + detergent = aluminium oxide. Was not available as a separate part from Whirlpool, just the entire drum assembly, 3/4 the cost of a new machine.

I bought a Maytag "Commercial Grade" as a replacement. Spider available separately, 10 year warranty on the motor, etc. Before putting it in service, I disassembled it, sanded, primed and coated the spider.

10 years and 2 months later the motor control board started to fail. No longer available from Maytag (now owned by Whirlpool, hmmm, is there a pattern here?). I tracked down the board's manufacturer, but they won't sell me one either -- contractually prohibited by Whirlpool.

I'll spare you the diagnostic details, but I traced the problem to a failing 24 pin MOSFET 3phase controller chip on the board. Whirlpool couldn't prevent the chip manufacturer from selling me one so I replaced it and all is good.

Oh, and the spider? Still going strong. But now no longer available as a separate part -- only the entire drum assembly. Thanks, Whirlpool.

Reactions: 1 users

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
I think of the old dryer with a windup clock controlling the time and a couple of limit switches. It got me thru 20 plus years. Simple and it dried my clothes. Now so many different choices and controlled by electronics with the circuit board alone costing more than the old dryer.
The light when you open the door slowly goes off if you choose to pull things out and fold instead of just being controlled by the door, is this going to be the way new refrigerators lights work too to discourage you from standing and looking in?
I think the wifi enabled everything to your phone is just a little too much for this 70 yo, give me simple mechanical things that last.
I did work in industry with PLCs, electronic drives, phone and computer system wiring etc so It isn't beyond my skill set to get my fluke meter and soldering iron out.
Yesterday the 4 or 5 year old microwave range hood combo started having missing segments on the display. Haven't looked yet but maybe just a cold solder joint somewhere on it's Chinese circuit board.
It's still working so it will have to wait until I feel like pulling it down and that may never happen. It replaced one whose keypad quit working.

So to end my rant, this is why I got a L2501DT, simplicity!

Bill

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: Yesterday the 4 or 5 year old microwave range hood combo started having missing segments on the display.

It could be the 'Zebra strip' connections. Simple to fix, remove bezel, clean contacts a Zebra strip, reassemble with a little more tension.
Hopefully that's it , cause resoldering 44 pin SMT chips you need a very,very steady hand and very very very little solder !

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
re: Yesterday the 4 or 5 year old microwave range hood combo started having missing segments on the display.

It could be the 'Zebra strip' connections. Simple to fix, remove bezel, clean contacts a Zebra strip, reassemble with a little more tension.
Hopefully that's it , cause resoldering 44 pin SMT chips you need a very,very steady hand and very very very little solder !
Thanks Jay,
something else to look for when I get around to it. I haven't looked yet to see if that area of the microwave can be pulled without taking it down but that is my first plan of attack.

Bill

Outnumbered

Equipment
Kubota L3901, FEL, BB1260, RCF2060, FDR2572, Titan Forks, Caryall, 5' Tiller
Oct 26, 2019
Moseley, VA
Dang the bad luck, 15 year old refrigerator stopped cooling last night, fridge only, freezer is fine (-2 degrees) so with a little bit of research online it looks like it could be one of three things. I ordered all three last night for less than $90 and should have them Saturday.... If this works it allows for me to defer the pain....otherwise we will be blowing about $2400 that we had not planned on this year....Fingers crossed!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Got a patch on. Seems like good contact. The Permatex 81158 D2Cat recommended appears a great choice. Piece of patch looks to adhered very well to the bellow seal all the way to the edges of the patch.

I made much less mess than anticipated! 😝 The Mrs. wasn't home either.....

If I still had a inner tube kicking around, would have only been $10 for the adhesive. Tube cost me $5.

I'll take$15 over $200 to try a redneck temporary fix..

If it works, great! If not I'm out a few bucks and a little time. ;)

IMG_6044.jpeg

After about 30 minutes and surface wasn’t tacky, added some weight very scientifically for curing. There’s some waxed paper under the bowl. Seems to help.

IMG_6046.jpeg

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
^^^^^
Put a load in the washer.

It’s not leaking so far. The drips were right at the front and bottom of the tub.

Like to thank D2Cat for the Permatex 81168 recommendation. That was key.

The patch seems solidly bonded to the bellow. Water resistant/proof and wide temperature range.

IMG_6048.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
With the bathrooms and laundry room project scheduled for January, the Mrs. bought new washer and dryer yesterday.

Hoping to delay their delivery until the laundry room is remodeled.

Wouldn’t you know my patch on the washer peeled up today……darn it (not my words🤬🤬!!).

Smooged more adhesive and hoping it sticks…..has held very well. Looks like I might have made the sealant too thin.

Get us through another 4-6 weeks…..please….🥺🥺

IMG_6373.jpeg

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
B2601 with Fel and Bh70 backhoe
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Did she buy another front load washer, or go back to a top load? When the time comes, I’m thinking we’re sticking to a top load. My Maytag is pushing 30 yrs! And still going fingers crossed.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Did she buy another front load washer, or go back to a top load? When the time comes, I’m thinking we’re sticking to a top load. My Maytag is pushing 30 yrs! And still going fingers crossed.
We’re staying with front load.

I’ve heard of issues with new top-loaders also.

It just kills me that the expected useful life of these appliances are 10 years.

These are 15 years old now.

Applies to refrigerators, dishwashers and washers and dryers.

We’ve had multiple appliances last 30+ years.

Planned obsolescence I guess……🥺

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: Planned obsolescence I guess……
Think about it..
you have but ONE sale for 50 years, if you make something built right.....
but
4,5, or many more sales, when you make it inferior......

so to stay in business you need lots of repeat customers, so CONvince them they need the new or the old isn't worth fixing and you'll be a zillionaire.

Reactions: 1 users