What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
How do you go about digging them out? My 'success' rate is closer to 50%
A stump bucket is pretty darn good for that.

Reactions: 1 user

2drx4

Equipment
B7100
Jul 24, 2023
PG, BC, Canada
www.4x4north.com
How do you go about digging them out? My 'success' rate is closer to 50%
I trench around them in a big circle, you kinda eyeball how far away from the trunk but that big one was about 40" across I think, and I just make it a straight trench about 8" deep. I cut off any roots that go through that trench, most of them won't be related to the tree you're moving. I then wedge some of those small (3"~) round wooden fence posts under it, the ones with the pointed end. I just work them in gently around it, slowly pushing them in and prying. Eventually you'll pop the whole root ball up. Then I work a tarp under it using the same poles and various words of encouragement. Getting it in the bucket is easy enough, just curl under one edge, run some straps around and pull it on.

On the other end, the main trick is to make the hole plenty big and put some very loose topsoil/compost in the bottom. Mix in bone meal and some slow release. Then slide the tree off the tarp and into the hole. Pack more loose topsoil around it, mix in more bone meal. Take the hose and flood the entire thing, then poke around it with a stick and jump up and down on the root ball. Keep adding soil and water and poking it until you can feel all the voids underneath are filled. Top it with some more bone meal and slow release. Water it a bunch for the first couple weeks, then water occasionally after that. Best to do this later in the fall or early spring when they're mostly dormant. I've done it in the summer too but I water the root ball as soon as I get it in the tarp.

Reactions: 3 users

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
I added a tach to my 2005 BX23 I don’t know why Kubota didn’t do this but it is handy when running the mid or rear pto attachments. My 2006 BX24 had on from the factory so I guess it just took Kubota a little while to catch on.
IMG_3657.jpeg

IMG_3655.jpeg

Reactions: 7 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
Ed, do those have a clamp on sensor that goes around a fuel line?
Yes it does and it works really well. I placed a hand held tach on the rear pto so I could see exactly what RPM I need to run to get the 540 rpm out of it.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Yes it does and it works really well. I placed a hand held tach on the rear pto so I could see exactly what RPM I need to run to get the 540 rpm out of it.
I’m curious how you’re measuring RPM with a sensor on a fuel line.

Is the older (pre-2019) model BX23S a hydrostatic or gear drive machine? If hydrostatic, there could be quite a bit of error in PTO RPM and Engine RPM because of loading and efficiency of the hydraulic motor for the PTO. Probably not enough to worry about on most applications, but a generator may have some issues with frequency if the PTO speed fluctuates with load. The governor controls engine speed, not PTO speed. It might be worth checking your PTO speed under impact loading or heavy load changes, especially if you’re using it for speed sensitive loads. There’s a certain amount of ‘slip’ when mechanical energy is converted to hydraulic energy and back again, and that can vary considerably with load and age and adjustment of the swash plates. With a gear driven (clutch operated) PTO, it’ll be a pure gear ratio.

I’m not dissing your tach at all. I like it. Anything that gives more instrumentation is a good idea.

The LX display comes with a 3 position Tach, engine, mid mount, and rear PTOs. I kinda wish Kubota would have put all three on the same display, but they didn’t ask my opinion before I bought one. The SU model (the one I have) always reads 0 for the middle PTO because there ain’t one. Not sure why there isn’t a slight firmware difference for the SU(to skip the MM PTO), because it’s really a whole other animal from the CAB or ROPS models. I like the empty seat bypass too. No need for secret handshakes or having to put the seat up, but I do anyway because I don’t like to fill it up with dust, or frying my bacon when I get back on it. Just lock the brakes and hold the bypass for 5 seconds and you’re ready to hop off. You can engage and disengage the PTO from the ground then. I also put the range selector in Neutral just for additional safety though it isn’t required. One little bump on the treadle or unlock the brakes and it’ll shut down. I make sure to test all the safeties at least once a month. I feel a lot safer operating my LX than I did on the old 8N and Farmall I grew up with.
One thing I really like about Kubota is that they value and implement customer feedback on their products

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I added a tach to my 2005 BX23 I don’t know why Kubota didn’t do this but it is handy when running the mid or rear pto attachments. My 2006 BX24 had on from the factory so I guess it just took Kubota a little while to catch on. View attachment 113603
View attachment 113604
I just might have to do this if....I mean WHEN my cable breaks again.

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
I’m curious how you’re measuring RPM with a sensor on a fuel line.

Is the older (pre-2019) model BX23S a hydrostatic or gear drive machine? If hydrostatic, there could be quite a bit of error in PTO RPM and Engine RPM because of loading and efficiency of the hydraulic motor for the PTO. Probably not enough to worry about on most applications, but a generator may have some issues with frequency if the PTO speed fluctuates with load. The governor controls engine speed, not PTO speed. It might be worth checking your PTO speed under impact loading or heavy load changes, especially if you’re using it for speed sensitive loads. There’s a certain amount of ‘slip’ when mechanical energy is converted to hydraulic energy and back again, and that can vary considerably with load and age and adjustment of the swash plates. With a gear driven (clutch operated) PTO, it’ll be a pure gear ratio.

I’m not dissing your tach at all. I like it. Anything that gives more instrumentation is a good idea.

The LX display comes with a 3 position Tach, engine, mid mount, and rear PTOs. I kinda wish Kubota would have put all three on the same display, but they didn’t ask my opinion before I bought one. The SU model (the one I have) always reads 0 for the middle PTO because there ain’t one. Not sure why there isn’t a slight firmware difference for the SU(to skip the MM PTO), because it’s really a whole other animal from the CAB or ROPS models. I like the empty seat bypass too. No need for secret handshakes or having to put the seat up, but I do anyway because I don’t like to fill it up with dust, or frying my bacon when I get back on it. Just lock the brakes and hold the bypass for 5 seconds and you’re ready to hop off. You can engage and disengage the PTO from the ground then. I also put the range selector in Neutral just for additional safety though it isn’t required. One little bump on the treadle or unlock the brakes and it’ll shut down. I make sure to test all the safeties at least once a month. I feel a lot safer operating my LX than I did on the old 8N and Farmall I grew up with.
One thing I really like about Kubota is that they value and implement customer feedback on their products

The BX23D I have is a hydro. I used a hand held meter to see the rear pto spin at 540 rpm I then looked at the tach to see what it said the engine rpms were and after doing this several times It was very consistent.

I don't know if it will change under a load. The manual says to run the tractor full throttle when using the mid or rear pto. I never use the rear pto but it was the easiest place to check the rpm at.

The only thing I use the tractors pto for is a mid mount 54" mower deck. Ive never felt the need to run it wide open and now I can use the tack to get it spinning close to where it should be which ended up being really close to wide open anyway.
:giggle:

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Quick water service repair today for the U-27.

diggy

H4-YAK571-1.JPG

H4-YAK571-2.JPG

fix: (more work on inside too)

H4-YAK571-3.JPG

backfill:

H4-YAK571-5.JPG

beat feet out of there... 2 more to do this week. Both likely won't be as fun.

Reactions: 8 users

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
The BX23D I have is a hydro. I used a hand held meter to see the rear pto spin at 540 rpm I then looked at the tach to see what it said the engine rpms were and after doing this several times It was very consistent.

I don't know if it will change under a load. The manual says to run the tractor full throttle when using the mid or rear pto. I never use the rear pto but it was the easiest place to check the rpm at.

The only thing I use the tractors pto for is a mid mount 54" mower deck. Ive never felt the need to run it wide open and now I can use the tack to get it spinning close to where it should be which ended up being really close to wide open anyway.
:giggle:
For mowing, all the work is done at the tip of the blade. Speed only becomes influential if it’s just too slow to cut or blow the clippings out from under the deck. I normally run my rider at just enough throttle to cut the grass (when I don’t have leaves) and get it out from under the deck. If I’m cutting in better times (less dusty) I’ll speed it up to pick up leaves that may not be dry enough otherwise, but typically I run just enough rpm to chop em up and put em in the bagger so I can haul em to a compost pit. Drier weather and drier leaves typically mean more dirt in the air and on me, so I lift the deck a notch or two and drop the rpm so there’s just enough lift to get the leaves and leave most of the dirt. Less wear and tear on the blades that way from sand eating them in the curve for the lift. If the chute isn’t plugging up, I got enough speed. I never worry about recommendations for blade speed. Just play it by ear and weather conditions. I usually get a couple seasons out of each blade set unless I hit a root or stump. I cut about an acre, frequency obviously dictated by rainfall.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
What caused the leak?
There was a coupler in the same spot that appeared to be leaking when we turned the water on. Upon closer inspection, we found pin holes right at the old ford coupler. Amazing...

H4-YAK571-6.JPG

Reactions: 2 users

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
Stock bulbs in the LX3310

20231011_185028.jpg

LED's

20231011_185846.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 9 users

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
I’ve replaced all my bulbs with LED - quite a difference.

I haven’t done anything with my Kubota last week.

We’re heading towards a seasonal transition to snow preparedness…❄
I've been meaning to do the bulbs since I got the tractor. Ordered them Sunday and they showed up today. Going to do the rear tail lights and flashers this weekend.

Gave the dealer a heads up Tuesday that they can work me in for the K-Connect and front blower installation.