Damaged SSQA plate, good lesson learned

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
Anyone see this video? It's old so maybe this was done before. This guy bought an LX2610 and with two hours on the meter damaged his SSQA plate. He had forks on the loader; the locking pins were in the down position but the forks were out in front of the pins, so he lost the forks. When he tried to put them back on, looks like he maybe got one side engaged and the other side was still out in front of the pin, so now when he pushes in he's got a twisting motion. Then he's got the forks under something in the dirt, he loses the forks on the side that's disengaged, tries to curl up, and the curl cylinder bends the cross bar on the SSQA plate.

I was kind of surprised it bent like that, but either way, good lesson learned.

This link should jump to around the 9-minute mark where the relevant part is:

AKguy09

Equipment
LX3310/ Cab 1950 F- Cub
Nov 22, 2017
ellicott, colorado
I watched that guy, he was in such a hurry to "try" his new tractor out, that he let common sense wander away

Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
He unlocked the left side and then locked it again, and then he did the same on the other side. The problem is that the right side hadn't properly seated. Had he unlocked both sides, and then raised the forks, and then locked them, there wouldn't be an;y damage done, and the forks would have stayed on the tractor. The fact that they are laughing about it makes me think that these people shouldn't be around machinery at all and should hire the work to be done before they maim themselves. I think that Forest Gump had a saying about these types of people. Something along the lines of Stupid is as stupid does.

Reactions: 2 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If tractor operators would look at the quick attach plate (before moving the latch pin down) and confirm the plate is up against the loader plate everything would lock in correctly.

Reactions: 9 users

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
There's a few reasons the locking mechanism can fail to engage, or become loose after proper engagement, as I've experienced. A lock lever got pushed up by a branch sticking up from the ground as I reversed, unaware the right lock was now open. Then the forks bottom corner caught a stump resulting in bending the left side ssqa out of alignment with the right.
Got it all home and found a small piece of oak log to fit in the ssqa frame so curling the loader control pinched it, and allowed the opposite bent frame to get pushed back into alignment.
Solved future bush ssqa lever bush un-pinning possibilities by fabbing a lock bar to keep them firmly in place.
IMG_20201227_200612017.jpg
IMG_20201227_200535541.jpg
IMG_20201227_200432006.jpg
IMG_20201227_200418046.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Kubota LX2610, 1951 Farmall M, 1967 John Deere 110 Rf, 2010 Arctic Cat 700
Apr 25, 2023
WI
Funny thing is I just saw that video the other day. Stereotypical hobby farm/horse person newbie trying to make money off youtube and no belonging on equipment.

Where I work we have hydraulic quick attach buckets and forks for the skid loaders. I've seen numerous close calls of buckets ending up in dump trucks, through the windshield or almost on someone's head. Always tilt the attachment to make sure it's locked.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
Worth it for the click bait title
When I saw the title of the video I had low expectations but I was curious. Turned out to be a little more interesting than I anticipated. Just gotta fast forward through the first 9 minutes of "other stuff".

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
He unlocked the left side and then locked it again, and then he did the same on the other side. The problem is that the right side hadn't properly seated. Had he unlocked both sides, and then raised the forks, and then locked them, there wouldn't be an;y damage done, and the forks would have stayed on the tractor. The fact that they are laughing about it makes me think that these people shouldn't be around machinery at all and should hire the work to be done before they maim themselves. I think that Forest Gump had a saying about these types of people. Something along the lines of Stupid is as stupid does.

I kind of had that thought regarding all the laughing about it. It's not the end of the world but I don't think I could bring myself to laugh about it. I'd be far too embarrassed and mad at myself.

But hey, it got them clicks.

Still, while I'm pretty careful about making sure SSQA attachments are attached correctly, that did show how quick and easy it is to screw up that plate if you don't have your attachment mounted right.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
The very first time I used my grapple to move a brush pile, a stick unlocked my SSQA lever.

Luckily I noticed it before anything bad happened.

I am going to make something similar to this I think, or possibly an electric actuator to lock and unlock them from the seat.

There's a few reasons the locking mechanism can fail to engage, or become loose after proper engagement, as I've experienced. A lock lever got pushed up by a branch sticking up from the ground as I reversed, unaware the right lock was now open. Then the forks bottom corner caught a stump resulting in bending the left side ssqa out of alignment with the right.
Got it all home and found a small piece of oak log to fit in the ssqa frame so curling the loader control pinched it, and allowed the opposite bent frame to get pushed back into alignment.
Solved future bush ssqa lever bush un-pinning possibilities by fabbing a lock bar to keep them firmly in place.
View attachment 107703
View attachment 107704
View attachment 107705
View attachment 107706

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I made an 'electric' version. Slower than molasses in January...... Used a 4" actuator from Hydro works ( S Korean ),some steel and pins to connect. Did it work.... yes, just so slow, I could get off the tractor and manually move the levers faster. One of those 'proof of concept' projects...now collecting dust in garage.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I made an 'electric' version. Slower than molasses in January...... Used a 4" actuator from Hydro works ( S Korean ),some steel and pins to connect. Did it work.... yes, just so slow, I could get off the tractor and manually move the levers faster. One of those 'proof of concept' projects...now collecting dust in garage.
I have a hydraulic bucket locking system, through a diverter on the 3rd function.
A very handy system, which does not require dismount to lock/unlock.
The pin alignment issue is not foolproof however.
Now: Since you are not actually manually locking the pins it is possible to get one pin locked, with the other lock lever showing down, but with the pin just passing by the lock,..... from the seat all looks normal.
Ask me how I know!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
This guy bought an LX2610 and with two hours on the meter damaged his SSQA plate.
That's not the SSQA plate, that's the SSQA hitch that he damaged.

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
Watched a couple of their vids. Not impressed with the mechanical aptitude.
Agreed. That was the first one I've seen of theirs. It's more amusing than anything. Their daughter seems like a good worker though.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan

I am considering using 2 smaller actuators (one on each end) to increase speed.

However my mind makes projects faster than my check book can keep up with. LOL

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
I found the problem.
Its another one of those city folk trying to become a cowboy.

"Whiskey HELPS"
Actually, no, it doesn`t. It just makes you even dumber and more dangerous.

1690026092591.png

Reactions: 3 users

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
His old lady's arm looks like a funny book page.

I'm not against tattoos I have a few... but this new fad of young people getting full sleeves of ridiculous tattoos is just sad. especially women.... I think it looks trashy.

My company just hired a 20 year old girl .... still lives at home with her mommy... both arms random stupid tattoos everywhere... Inspirational quotes and writing.... terrible....

in 30 years she is gonna look like an old bagged out biker whore.

ok,
I'm officially old...... bitching about the younger generation... :LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO::poop:

• Haha

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
His old lady's arm looks like a funny book page.

I'm not against tattoos I have a few... but this new fad of young people getting full sleeves of ridiculous tattoos is just sad. especially women.... I think it looks trashy.

My company just hired a 20 year old girl .... still lives at home with her mommy... both arms random stupid tattoos everywhere... Inspirational quotes and writing.... terrible....

in 30 years she is gonna look like an old bagged out biker whore.

ok,
I'm officially old...... bitching about the younger generation... :LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO::poop:
"an old bagged out biker whore"
John, she look`s like she`s already been there already :LOL:

I`m with yah though....... i`m old as well.
At least i`ve never busted up any of my tractors in 60yrs like that guy did.

Reactions: 1 users

BT3101

Equipment
L3130 GST, FEL, Taylor Way BH W/Subframe, Rotary Cutter, Pallet Forks
Mar 20, 2016
Evansville, IN, USA
Mike: "strictly a dealer repair" haha.

I think I could have that fixed in an hour or two for a lot less than the $700-1000 the dealer is going to charge the idiot.