How much plow for a MX or L?

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Good day. I am considering buying a plow for MX. I’ve not owned/pulled one myself (purpose is to turn over a pasture that has been left to grass for recent past (more than 20 yrs). I’ve seen older threads on thoughts on tractor size and weight and transmission but nothing overly convincing me one way or another whether an MX or L can pull a three bottom plow. How to decide? Thoughts? Soil according to the ODNR is finer loamy soils but in patches there is some clay. (Area is far upper NE corner of Ohio). Any thoughts from those that have pulled a plow before or better yet experience with an Mx or L? Any suggestion or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
looked it up... mx6000 is 60HP, 4200# so it'll easily handle a 3 furrow plow. I have loamy soil and pull a 3f plow with 35hp all day long.
Have no idea the cost difference in plows and what's the used market like in your area.
Size of moldboards is also a facto 12,14, 16"...I'm sure others will chime in.
'pasture' .... 10 acres or 100 ? While a 4F Plow should do the field quicker, you might be going slower than the 3F plow can be pulled ?

My 'gut' says 3F plow though.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
In for info. I pulled my FIL’s 2 bottom a few times, don’t think we had it adjusted just right, but it still did ok.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Good day. I am considering buying a plow for MX. I’ve not owned/pulled one myself (purpose is to turn over a pasture that has been left to grass for recent past (more than 20 yrs). I’ve seen older threads on thoughts on tractor size and weight and transmission but nothing overly convincing me one way or another whether an MX or L can pull a three bottom plow. How to decide? Thoughts? Soil according to the ODNR is finer loamy soils but in patches there is some clay. (Area is far upper NE corner of Ohio). Any thoughts from those that have pulled a plow before or better yet experience with an Mx or L? Any suggestion or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Depends mostly upon soil, tires, ballast and depth of furrow.

Your MX6000 has enough engine HP to pull 4X14s in good soil but, being a hydrostat, drawbar HP is probably closer to 40 and you need to plow quickly enough to fully roll over the sod.

AG tires and draft control will help but expect that your MX has neither. FWA helps little when plowing.

Sod is tough to plow and plow set up is important.

Should be fine with 2X14 or 2X16 but 3X14 is pushing it in sod and without AG tires and draft control.

Watched my neighbor plow a few rounds in hay sod a few years ago with a Ford 4630 and 3X14 plow. 4630 was FWA and had 16.9X30 AG tires and draft control. Don't know if tires were loaded but doubt it. Tractor was working hard, often carrying front end and neighbor occasionally lifting plow a bit to maintain traction, despite draft control. Plows pull hard in sod and coulters are just about a must.

Reactions: 3 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Depends mostly upon soil, tires, ballast and depth of furrow.

Your MX6000 has enough engine HP to pull 4X14s in good soil but, being a hydrostat, drawbar HP is probably closer to 40 and you need to plow quickly enough to fully roll over the sod.

AG tires and draft control will help but expect that your MX has neither. FWA helps little when plowing.

Sod is tough to plow and plow set up is important.

Should be fine with 2X14 or 2X16 but 3X14 is pushing it in sod and without AG tires and draft control.

Watched my neighbor plow a few rounds in hay sod a few years ago with a Ford 4630 and 3X14 plow. 4630 was FWA and had 16.9X30 AG tires and draft control. Don't know if tires were loaded but doubt it. Tractor was working hard, often carrying front end and neighbor occasionally lifting plow a bit to maintain traction, despite draft control. Plows pull hard in sod and coulters are just about a must.
Regarding my specific set up:
R4s loaded/fluid filled
Full stack of wheel weights on the rears
The operator on my machine is carrying some extra ballast too 😉.

SDT - when refer to ‘plow quickly enough’….is low range going to cut it, or in a HST need to be into M for the speed you are suggesting? Then I guess I wonder is M going to handle it?

thoughts?

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
According to page 29 of the owners manual for the MX6000, Kubota lists that a 2 bottom 16” plow as the maximum size. You might be able to pull an 3x12” plow instead. Old sod is going to plow hard. You definitely want rolling coulters on your plow and they need setting up properly. Also, the plow and tractor need setting up properly to work best and do a good job plowing. If you have never plowed before, find someone who has to help you set it up or do some research online to find out. You are better off putting a smaller plow on a tractor and pull it with ease than to put too big of a plow on a tractor and over work the tractor and not be able to pull it.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Regarding my specific set up:
R4s loaded/fluid filled
Full stack of wheel weights on the rears
The operator on my machine is carrying some extra ballast too 😉.

SDT - when refer to ‘plow quickly enough’….is low range going to cut it, or in a HST need to be into M for the speed you are suggesting? Then I guess I wonder is M going to handle it?

thoughts?
R4s are not plowing tires and HST Kubotas are not plowing tractors but your tractor is well ballasted.

Hard to say about range. Might handle a 2X14 in M but suspect that you will find L with pedal on floor more to it's liking.

Don't know how much ground you are considering plowing but your tractor will like it better if you use L and keep the engine RPMs up.

If the sod does not roll completely over, not all of the grass will die. If you find that plowing speed is too slow to properly roll the sod, adding cover boards to your plow will help, but I expect that things will be OK with a 2X14 plow, maybe even a 2X16. A 16" plow will work better with your R4 tires.

Fall is usually the best time to plow.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
R4s are not plowing tires and HST Kubotas are not plowing tractors but your tractor is well ballasted.

Hard to say about range. Might handle a 2X14 in M but suspect that you will find L with pedal on floor more to it's liking.

Don't know how much ground you are considering plowing but your tractor will like it better if you use L and keep the engine RPMs up.

If the sod does not roll completely over, not all of the grass will die. If you find that plowing speed is too slow to properly roll the sod, adding cover boards to your plow will help, but I expect that things will be OK with a 2X14 plow, maybe even a 2X16. A 16" plow will work better with your R4 tires.

Fall is usually the best time to plow.
Decision by Fall is sort of my target. (But I am seriously shopping…I’ve been slow and missed a couple peaches, but not sure really what I need either)I’m looking at a patch that is between 5-8 acres to plow ….larger than a garden but honestly it’s not much…open pasture that has been mowed…as a pasture it’s in good shape. Seems like maybe 2 bottom is the safe bet.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
after reading others comments, agree 2 btm plow. It really won't take that long to plow 8 acres9same as field down the road). It's big enough to be worth doing, small enough to have fun on !

Reactions: 1 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I’d go with 2. Doesn’t sound like you have massive acreage, so 2 v 3 isn’t a big factor on productivity. You have plenty of HP. If it comes up short on 3 it’s going to be lack of weight and R4’s v R1’s. Agree the front wheel assist isn’t going to do much assisting with plowing.

Back when sub-100 HP tractors were routinely used for plowing, R1’s, 2WD, and mass were the norm. For that style tractor the rule of thumb I’ve always heard was 20 HP per plow.

4WD, less mass, and R4’s are swell for most utility tractor type work. Plowing isn’t “utility” work. Derating that 20 HP per plow to something greater than 20 HP per plow is probably appropriate for a modern utility style tractor with R4’s.

Our antique Farmall H is near useless for most of the stuff I do with my significantly higher HP L, but I suspect it will pull a pair of plows as well, if not better, than the L because it was designed to pull two plows (and was marketed as such).

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
@rc51stierhoff, I'm very interested in your plow journey and will be following along. I bought two turnover plows last year, but for various reasons I've yet to use them. I did have an inquiry about discing and plowing a 12 acre field, but few can stomach the cost.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Decision by Fall is sort of my target. (But I am seriously shopping…I’ve been slow and missed a couple peaches, but not sure really what I need either)I’m looking at a patch that is between 5-8 acres to plow ….larger than a garden but honestly it’s not much…open pasture that has been mowed…as a pasture it’s in good shape. Seems like maybe 2 bottom is the safe bet.
Agreed.

Don't buy a cheap, worn out plow.

You need good coulters for sod and many used plows no longer have coulters.

I believe a 2X16 would be just about ideal for your situation but good 2X16 plows are not easy to find in my area. 2X14s are much more common.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Thanks for thoughts SDT in multiple exchanges above.

after taking all the comments it’s pretty clear, to be safe…I think we all agree sensible thing is an M4 😂. I wish I had a reason to do that.

I’ve been shopping for a peach (both 2B and 3B) but fiddled around not sure what would be appropriate…I’ve missed a couple good deals…I could not decide and didn’t even bid in the peach below…I probably should have and tried it…I think it was a unicorn. I think it looked new in box condition and sold for less than scrap…that was a no brainer whether I needed or not and I missed out.

at the end of the day couple things stick in my mind. 1. I rather be really happy with the tractor than feeling emasculated and then go buy the M4 I don’t need…I’d sure like one though. 2. I love both my HST tractors, but I have a lot more confidence in a geared tractor to put power down based on my own experience. Combine that with tires not meant for the task, I think there is some potential I may not be satified with a 3B. I’d rather buy with confidence and after I try learn how to level and set up a plow the. maybe I’ll look for another unicorn and maybe eventually get a 3B and try it see…I think that is only way I will find out.

Ill have something soon…I’ve been shopping and low balling used machinery guys. One of them is bound to be hungry. There is actually a lot of plows available…I suspect more than anything due to small farms pushed out and some shifting towards no till.
My intention is to find something used with some life left for maybe a third-ish of new price. There are some companies that sell some new stuff, but to me they are pricey compared to availability of huge selection of used at prices ranging from scrap value to 1/3 - 1/2 price of new…all depends on condition. I don’t think there is too much margin on used though…it’s sort of take it or leave it pricing….and takes some patience to find a unicorn.

Attachments

Last edited:

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Thanks for thoughts SDT in multiple exchanges above.

after taking all the comments it’s pretty clear, to be safe…I think we all agree sensible thing is an M4 😂. I wish I had a reason to do that.

I’ve been shopping for a peach (both 2B and 3B) but fiddled around not sure what would be appropriate…I’ve missed a couple good deals…I could not decide and didn’t even bid in the peach below…I probably should have and tried it…I think it was a unicorn. I think it looked new in box condition and sold for less than scrap…that was a no brainer whether I needed or not and I missed out.

at the end of the day couple things stick in my mind. 1. I rather be really happy with the tractor than feeling emasculated and then go buy the M4 I don’t need…I’d sure like one though. 2. I love both my HST tractors, but I have a lot more confidence in a geared tractor to put power down based on my own experience. Combine that with tires not meant for the task, I think there is some potential I may not be satified with a 3B. I’d rather buy with confidence and after I try learn how to level and set up a plow the. maybe I’ll look for another unicorn and maybe eventually get a 3B and try it see…I think that is only way I will find out.

Ill have something soon…I’ve been shopping and low balling used machinery guys. One of them is bound to be hungry. There is actually a lot of plows available…I suspect more than anything due to small farms pushed out and some shifting towards no till.
My intention is to find something used with some life left for maybe a third-ish of new price. There are some companies that sell some new stuff, but to me they are pricey compared to availability of huge selection of used at prices ranging from scrap value to 1/3 - 1/2 price of new…all depends on condition. I don’t think there is too much margin on used though…it’s sort of take it or leave it pricing….and takes some patience to find a unicorn.
Be careful shopping for a new small plow. Most new small plows available these days do not have rolling landsides (maybe no landsides of any kind) and few have coulters. You DO NEED coulters to plow sod. Few folks, aside from gardeners, plow anymore and most such folks use vintage plows that they have had for decades.

Though not ideal for your R4 tires, I have a completely rebuilt (unused since) 2X14 Ford plow that I plan to sell (selling everything soon, including all 4 of my Kubotas as I am relocating to MT and do not plan to haul farm equipment). I'm in SE, IN not far from Cincinnati, which is probably a bit far for you and my rebuilt (new shares, moldboards, shins, and NOS Ford coulters, etc.) plow is priced accordingly.

If you know anyone looking, I also have a very low hour 2X12 Ford plow that was my Father's and a nearly new (still has OEM paint on the axles) 84" (at rear gang) Ford disc. The 2X12 plow and disc are sized for a Ford 8N or NAA/Jubilee and small/light for your MX6000 but are unique as they are almost new. Ideal for a Ford collector as I once was.

Also going to sell Kubota M9960, L6060, B3350, and (probably) B1750 and a bunch of associated attachments, all bought new but not yet.

Hopefully, I am not violating any forum rules here and expect moderators to delete this post if I have.

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I am relocating to MT and do not plan to haul farm equipment.
Where in MT? Yep, it would be a real pain, not to mention expensive, hauling all of your stuff from IN to MT. Even when you get to the Eastern border, it's still the better part of a day's drive to get across the state.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Where in MT? Yep, it would be a real pain, not to mention expensive, hauling all of your stuff from IN to MT. Even when you get to the Eastern border, it's still the better part of a day's drive to get across the state.
Billings.

Though a life-long midwest resident, I'm 73 years old and no longer have any close family members in this area, but I do have a son in Billings. Don't want to end up in a nursing home with no one around.

Son has lived in MT since 82 when he was 10 years old, following my divorce in 1978. He is a true MT resident, not a transplant as I will be. He grew up in Bozeman, lived in Great Falls for a few years, and has lived in Billings for about 8 years. We have remained close, he has encouraged me to relocate, and I have decided to do so. Hope to relocate after the glacers clear the highways (LOL) in spring of 24. Perhaps we might become "Kubota Neighbors."

Son is a Gonzaga Law School grad. Go Zags!

Wonderful country!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
If it was me, and not planning on farming that field, I would look to one of the locals that already have everything they need to tear it up plow, disks the whole 9 yards. Now this is based on you just wanting to clean the field up, or wanting a new to you larger tractor... Just MHO

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Billings.

Though a life-long midwest resident, I'm 73 years old and no longer have any close family members in this area, but I do have a son in Billings. Don't want to end up in a nursing home with no one around.

Son has lived in MT since 82 when he was 10 years old, following my divorce in 1978. He is a true MT resident, not a transplant as I will be. He grew up in Bozeman, lived in Great Falls for a few years, and has lived in Billings for about 8 years. We have remained close, he has encouraged me to relocate, and I have decided to do so. Hope to relocate after the glacers clear the highways (LOL) in spring of 24. Perhaps we might become "Kubota Neighbors."

Son is a Gonzaga Law School grad. Go Zags!

Wonderful country!
That's good to hear. Being around family becomes increasingly important as we get older and you'll love Montana. Many up here look down on Billings but I quite like the area, and there are so many wonderful places around it such as Red Lodge, Sheridan (WY), Livingston, Big Sky, Bozeman, Fort Benton, The Missouri River Breaks, Yellowstone and on and on.

It's around a 7 hour drive to Billings but it's a lovely drive out that way, one that I've done many times and always enjoyed. Keep us posted on your move, and when you miss your Kubotas you can head up this way and have some tractor time.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
That's good to hear. Being around family becomes increasingly important as we get older and you'll love Montana. Many up here look down on Billings but I quite like the area, and there are so many wonderful places around it such as Red Lodge, Sheridan (WY), Livingston, Big Sky, Bozeman, Fort Benton, The Missouri River Breaks, Yellowstone and on and on.

It's around a 7 hour drive to Billings but it's a lovely drive out that way, one that I've done many times and always enjoyed. Keep us posted on your move, and when you miss your Kubotas you can head up this way and have some tractor time.
When I last visited my Son in August of 21, we made a day trip to Red Lodge. Drove to the top of the pass, around 10,000' and fed the tame chipmunks at the observatory. Fascinatingi view of the river valley below.

Also drove to Bozeman for grand daughters soccer game. As son had business in Missoula he and I drove on while rest of family returned to Billings. While he was doing his business, I drove the 25 or 30 miles to Idaho. Wonderful country!

I'm a lifetime railroad fan, especially steam railroading (just old enough to remember mainline steam on the B & O adjacent to family farm) and visiting the UP Steam Shops in Cheyenne has been on my bucket list for decades.

Hope to make the move spring of 24 after threat of snow has passed. There is a great deal of work to be done here before loading U Haul.

Downsizing, but hope to find a place with 5 acres or so, just big enough for a pole barn and, maybe a new LX4020 with all of the bells and whistles. Will miss my L6060.