How much plow for a MX or L?

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
Be interesting to see how you get along with that plow. Just bought a 2-16 JD 415 in like new condition last week. Have a IH 3-14 plow chief but at times it's a little bit much for my 2wd M4500. I think you're going to be glad you didn't get a 3 bottom plow.
Oh, that plow will be a cat1 3-point

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
How were you able to identify the model?
Be interesting to see how you get along with that plow. Just bought a 2-16 JD 415 in like new condition last week. Have a IH 3-14 plow chief but at times it's a little bit much for my 2wd M4500. I think you're going to be glad you didn't get a 3 bottom plow.
How were you able to identify the model of plow on the JD?

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
How were you able to identify the model?

How were you able to identify the model of plow on the JD?
I found a picture on "the plow guy" site and then did some image and farm equipment auction searching to confirm. Just have to pay attention to little details in the pictures. Some models were very similar. And then there were options available like probably your gauge wheel and landing adjustment lever. I'm about 95% on the model id on mine.

edisonck

Equipment
MX5800, RCR1872 Rotary Cutter, DH2596 Disc Harrow, Ford 860, Ford 3-bottom plow
Mar 9, 2020
Chaska, MN
I am short on time so I didn't read all the posts. That said, maybe another opinion is no longer needed. I have a MX5800 (R1 fluid filled tires, FWD, no draft control) and Ford 3-bottom 14" plow. For the last ~20 years, I have plowed ~5 acres of heavy soil (clay loam) and rolling hills with that setup with ease. Candidly, I just 'retired' my plow this year as I bought a no-till planter. I would not recommend using medium range to plow as it bogged down for me. Your owners manual will suggest low as do I.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I am short on time so I didn't read all the posts. That said, maybe another opinion is no longer needed. I have a MX5800 (R1 fluid filled tires, FWD, no draft control) and Ford 3-bottom 14" plow. For the last ~20 years, I have plowed ~5 acres of heavy soil (clay loam) and rolling hills with that setup with ease. Candidly, I just 'retired' my plow this year as I bought a no-till planter. I would not recommend using medium range to plow as it bogged down for me. Your owners manual will suggest low as do I.
Great info for sure…I have since brought a 2B home. Not tired it yet but have started going through and checking pieces and parts. Anyway thanks. I am interested in the second part of your post. A planter is in the mid range forcast (couple years out) and I am starting to look into them and start getting an idea for price and contents. Any thoughts would be great…should there be a string for that topic? Anyone else interested in topic on planters for our orange monsters? (I am interested I think in some sort of 2 row planted but I really don’t know.) I current have a Hoss walk behind wheeled planter…seems like there should be some sort of solution for a small tractor (I’ve been eyeballing JD 71 and Cole MX). Please advise.

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Kubota LX2610, 1951 Farmall M, 1967 John Deere 110 Rf, 2010 Arctic Cat 700
Apr 25, 2023
WI
Great info for sure…I have since brought a 2B home. Not tired it yet but have started going through and checking pieces and parts. Anyway thanks. I am interested in the second part of your post. A planter is in the mid range forcast (couple years out) and I am starting to look into them and start getting an idea for price and contents. Any thoughts would be great…should there be a string for that topic? Anyone else interested in topic on planters for our orange monsters? (I am interested I think in some sort of 2 row planted but I really don’t know.) I current have a Hoss walk behind wheeled planter…seems like there should be some sort of solution for a small tractor (I’ve been eyeballing JD 71 and Cole MX). Please advise.
Lots of options for planters. I use to broad cast my food plots and drag them in but wanted rows. I was looking for 2 years. People are asking crazy prices for something steel wheeled/horse drawn in the weeds......almost 500 to 800 dollars. Most of those planters need seed plates and very hard to find them......most oringal cast irons are bought up at flea marks for 5x the price to make artsy flowers. You can order some plastic ones too depending on the brand. I was lucky enough to trade a hay wagon for my planter. It's a trip planter and bought it when the atv was my main tool.
20210515_053409.jpg

It's from 1950 but well cared for. Being ground driven/trip biggest down fall is if the gear box breaks you might as well scrap it.

If you have rear hydraulics you could find a 4 row at autions pretty cheap.......maybe cheaper than ground driven. Hydraulics would give you more down pressure. You could take a 4 to 6 row and make a 1 or 2 row and make another one to sell. See a lot of guys doing that and selling them for 1200 + doubling their money.

Biggest thing is with a ground driven that everything is loose and greased, and plants are available.

For newer hydraulic types that are usually plateless cost depends on pumps and monitors included.

I really like my 2 row ground driven. I can hook whatever I want to it.

20230520_124549~2.jpg

20220820_200632~2.jpg

20210424_114807.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Did you pull your 3X14" plow with your 860, 20 years ago?

The Ford 860 is a 3X14 plow tractor that is designed to plow. I had an exceptional one with dual remotes, F & R heavy weights, properly working draft control, etc., for about 20 years and it would handle a 3X14" plow in my bottom land but would struggle mightly with a 2X14" in my hay sod.

Yes, my L6060 (with draft control) is a much better mowing, FEL, etc., tractor, but the 860 would plow circles around it.

Last edited:

edisonck

Equipment
MX5800, RCR1872 Rotary Cutter, DH2596 Disc Harrow, Ford 860, Ford 3-bottom plow
Mar 9, 2020
Chaska, MN
Did you pull your 3X14" plow with your 860, 20 years ago?

The Ford 860 is a 3X14 plow tractor that is designed to plow. I had an exceptional one with dual remotes, F & R heavy weights, properly working draft control, etc., for about 20 years and it would handle a 3X14" plow in my bottom land but would struggle mightly with a 2X14" my hay sod.

Yes, my L6060 (with draft control) is a much better mowing, FEL, etc., tractor, but the 860 would plow circles around it.
Hello! I used that same plow on my Ford 860 for years prior to 2019 (when I bought my Kubota)! Based on my soil type it pulled HARD, but it did okay. However, the weight made it unsafe and hard on the tractor to operate, so we took off one of the bottoms and made it a two-bottom plow. Once we did that, it was a perfect match for the Ford 860.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Sort of progress(but not really)…I finally brought plow to place up North where I hope to use in a few months) and off loaded it. (I am regretting not putting some oil on the shiney parts 😢)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Good day. I am considering buying a plow for MX. I’ve not owned/pulled one myself (purpose is to turn over a pasture that has been left to grass for recent past (more than 20 yrs). I’ve seen older threads on thoughts on tractor size and weight and transmission but nothing overly convincing me one way or another whether an MX or L can pull a three bottom plow. How to decide? Thoughts? Soil according to the ODNR is finer loamy soils but in patches there is some clay. (Area is far upper NE corner of Ohio). Any thoughts from those that have pulled a plow before or better yet experience with an Mx or L? Any suggestion or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
NE Ohio, that means you are probbly in the Moraine deposits and you might do a 3 bottom. Just because you can dont mean you should. It would seem to me a 2 bottom, with the R4s would be a fair set up. R4s are not well equipped for plowing.
Though you might want to check the locals and see what they would charge you to plow and disk it all up. And unless you are going to use the plows every year maybe not the best investment

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
NE Ohio, that means you are probbly in the Moraine deposits and you might do a 3 bottom. Just because you can dont mean you should. It would seem to me a 2 bottom, with the R4s would be a fair set up. R4s are not well equipped for plowing.
Though you might want to check the locals and see what they would charge you to plow and disk it all up. And unless you are going to use the plows every year maybe not the best investment
Only time will tell…I picked this up a few weeks back and just this past week dropped it off up there. Our place up there is in the area where the lake deposits and the ridge moraine meet.

Attachments

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
They say and I dont know, just where but I have heard of small pieces of gold found in those deposits. That is a nice plow maybe to nice to use,, lol

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
They say and I dont know, just where but I have heard of small pieces of gold found in those deposits. That is a nice plow maybe to nice to use,, lol
I sure hope you are right on the gold…I’d like to add some bling to the tractors for sure. Not too much, but something that lets the birds and squirrels know that I have arrived…I think adding some gold plating to the grill guard would take it a notch. 😂 But there is probably a better chance of finding some artifacts…the river we are on was at one point the dividing line between the Iroquois and the Algonquins.

Last edited:

Like Tractors

Equipment
Several Kubotas
Jan 1, 2020
Eastern Iowa
Good day. I am considering buying a plow for MX. I’ve not owned/pulled one myself (purpose is to turn over a pasture that has been left to grass for recent past (more than 20 yrs). I’ve seen older threads on thoughts on tractor size and weight and transmission but nothing overly convincing me one way or another whether an MX or L can pull a three bottom plow. How to decide? Thoughts? Soil according to the ODNR is finer loamy soils but in patches there is some clay. (Area is far upper NE corner of Ohio). Any thoughts from those that have pulled a plow before or better yet experience with an Mx or L? Any suggestion or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
My M5-091 handles an Oliver 546 4-16s quite well. I found this plow for sale and it was stored indoors with the moldboards greased, a little pressure washing and off to the field.

Attachments

Reactions: 2 users

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Apr 25, 2023
WI
How I felt about my plow aftee I repainted it, but it was meant to be used.
20230427_191631~2.jpg

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Apr 25, 2023
WI
Yup all depends on soil, and depth wanting to achieve. My b could pull a 3 bottom very shallow, but the 2 bottom is right for what I need but can still bog down in spots.
20221011_091310.jpg

20230118_100033~2.jpg

Starting out on my little farm I hired a neighbor to cut and bale my 2 acres of hay. A gift card to take his wife on a date, a bottle of jack or free labor went a long way. Unfortunately I was at the mercy of his time.....which meant his hay was #1 and mine sat, and or got rained on, or he'd be out in my field after chores late at night keeping my family up. His equipment was too big for my field and you could tell he was getting annoyed not being able to turn his equipment around decently .
20210601_184429~2.jpg

20220619_165758.jpg

I decided to gamble on older equipment than to lose a good neighbor/friend out of the ordeal.