How much plow for a MX or L?

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Kubota LX2610, 1951 Farmall M, 1967 John Deere 110 Rf, 2010 Arctic Cat 700
Apr 25, 2023
WI
Just some random thoughts. Do you have any antique tractor/garden tractor clubs in your area? Maybe they could work up the field. I did that a couple of times. The club enjoyed themselves and I got free labor haha.

I use to hire my neighbor to work up my garden, food plots, cut and bale my hay. A gift card and case of beer go long way. You're at the mercy of their time though. Tomorrow might mean 2 weeks to them.

I can't help much on the Kubota end of things but I plow every year with my antique set up.
Screenshot_20221011_090507.jpg

20221011_091310.jpg

20230427_191631~2.jpg

I'm by no means a plowing expert.......my plow has 60 years on me but I got some good advice from locals who use to plow with dinosaurs. It's a fine art, you dont want your furrows stacked on top of each other or looking like waves. You want them to be turned and stacked next to each other- that involves speed. Too slow you wont roll the furrows, too fast you flip them on top of the previous furrow. I plow in 2nd wide open about 7 inches deep. 3rd I have better results but the tractor bogs down so I can't go as deep. Coulters really help chopping up residue and as mention are a must for sod. Make sure your plow is level too. There's actually plowing contests where guys are judged on how well a field is plowed. It takes time to set up a plow but do it right you'll have great results. I still like the thought of plowing, you actually turn the soil/break the hard pan and burry residue.

I thought about a plow for my Kubota but decided to keep by with antique set up. Seems like you're pretty well set up. Low would be the wisest choice for heavy work of a plow but might be too slow. You can always try medium and adjust the plow higher if you bog down.

Reactions: 2 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Foxrun, thanks. Great photos you share as always…if I ever need to do a centerfold layout across the hood of one of my orange monsters, if anyone can find the best lighting for a glamour shot for when I go back to modeling / dancing for cash 😉 you get the job…seriously, really great photos with the light, color and contrast that you share.

Have you ever tried your orange monster pulling one from drawbar? How did it do?

Well, more than anything, I like playing in the dirt with my tractor. So the best way to increase the fun factor is to do more…so for me it’s a couple things:

1. We are trending towards a homestead / hobby farm for life after our day jobs….this has been building up over past 6ish years when the snowball got rolled off the mountaintop and the snowball is gaining mass and speed 😉

2. Spend more time connected to the land (I am pretty sure concrete/black top not the solutions to a better way of life) learn the life skill and personal satisfaction. I like the trial and error and finding the solution aspect of things.

3. Plows are cool (my dad liked restoring the horse drawn (and other horse drawn machinery)for yard art…I’ve got one in my front yard actually. If I don’t figure it out or enjoy, I guess I will have some more yard art.

4. I think I like idea of turning the field in fall and fertilize / compost and then till just top inch or so in spring for planting.

I imagine I will find an old timer to help me with the learning curve.

Stay tuned…I’ll have some more questions on this thread soon enough. ☕

Reactions: 1 users

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Foxrun, thanks. Great photos you share as always…if I ever need to do a centerfold layout across the hood of one of my orange monsters, if anyone can find the best lighting for a glamour shot for when I go back to modeling / dancing for cash 😉 you get the job…seriously, really great photos with the light, color and contrast that you share.

Have you ever tried your orange monster pulling one from drawbar? How did it do?

Well, more than anything, I like playing in the dirt with my tractor. So the best way to increase the fun factor is to do more…so for me it’s a couple things:

1. We are trending towards a homestead / hobby farm for life after our day jobs….this has been building up over past 6ish years when the snowball got rolled off the mountaintop and the snowball is gaining mass and speed 😉

2. Spend more time connected to the land (I am pretty sure concrete/black top not the solutions to a better way of life) learn the life skill and personal satisfaction. I like the trial and error and finding the solution aspect of things.

3. Plows are cool (my dad liked restoring the horse drawn (and other horse drawn machinery)for yard art…I’ve got one in my front yard actually. If I don’t figure it out or enjoy, I guess I will have some more yard art.

4. I think I like idea of turning the field in fall and fertilize / compost and then till just top inch or so in spring for planting.

Fall plowing and spring discing was once very common unless one needed a winter cover crop.

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Apr 25, 2023
WI

Lol I might have to take you up on that offer with inflation and trying to rebuild the play money account after the accident.

Thanks for the kind words on my pictures. In high-school I took a video editing class where we made videos/psa's for the local news channel. We learned about camera angles, lighting, and filters to increase the mood or feel......I guess it just kind of stuck with me haha.

When I was back to work part time after surgery #1 my boss had me taking pictures and making videos of crews for their Facebook page.

I never tried doing any " real farming type work with my lx2610" I had a 6ft pull behind stalk chopper I was debating on trying, but it was super heavy and you could feel it on the b.
Screenshot_20230529_074635_Messages.jpg

I did plant some corn with it.
20230520_124549~2.jpg

Never considered trying the plow on it. The b is 17 hp and the Kubota is 25 hp and the b grunts sometimes. I did think of a 1 bottom for it, but figured leave the Kubota for compact tasks like mowing and loader work and let the b do tractor stuff......I'm lucky to put 5 hours on the b as it is during the year which is mostly holiday/birthday hayrides.
20221023_095820~2.jpg

We sound like we have a lot in common and always nice to see "farmers" on here. The wife and I have 7 acres we play on and take care of on the weekends or afterwork. I grew up on a dairy farm and worked on a pumpkin farm in the fall and she worked on a csa organic farm on high-school and loves nature so we like to garden sell stuff by the road, and have wildlife food plots. Our place is the go to place for gatherings and usually have a big Halloween party out at our place. The buildings need a lot of work so no animals yet and things are on hold until I'm healed or see my lasting limitations.

That's awesome to hear about the old equipment. Most of my stuff I got from a fence line for 100.00 and brought back to life. I feel like I'm preserving history and giving equipment a 2nd chance.

Great to hear you want to give back and do you own thing. Seems like everyone just takes takes takes, there's so many fence lines, woods and fence lines getting taken down so big time farmers can get 4 more rows of corn in. I feel like if I don’t learn something new each day from work or the farm I didn't work hard enough.

Really looking forward to hearing more on your adventures.

Last edited:

donm1

Equipment
MX4700 JD1050
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, TX, USA
Good day. I am considering buying a plow for MX. I’ve not owned/pulled one myself (purpose is to turn over a pasture that has been left to grass for recent past (more than 20 yrs). I’ve seen older threads on thoughts on tractor size and weight and transmission but nothing overly convincing me one way or another whether an MX or L can pull a three bottom plow. How to decide? Thoughts? Soil according to the ODNR is finer loamy soils but in patches there is some clay. (Area is far upper NE corner of Ohio). Any thoughts from those that have pulled a plow before or better yet experience with an Mx or L? Any suggestion or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
I have a MX4700DT (4wd -gear) with loaded R-1 tires. I have an old 2-14 plow that I have used quite a bit. My soil is mixed loam and some areas of red clay. The tractor pulls it fine but I wouldn't want to go with a larger plow. I run out of traction before horsepower in the solid red clay running in 3rd gear.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Foxrunfarms, your B will pull 2x14” trailer plow. That’s what was run behind them when they were new. I have plowed with that setup and it works great. Sure the B only has 18.5HP at the drawbar, but it has way more grunt than a similar powered Kubota with it’s large piston 2 cylinder engine.

Reactions: 1 user

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Apr 25, 2023
WI
Foxrunfarms, your B will pull 2x14” trailer plow. That’s what was run behind them when they were new. I have plowed with that setup and it works great. Sure the B only has 18.5HP at the drawbar, but it has way more grunt than a similar powered Kubota with it’s large piston 2 cylinder engine.
Thanks for the info. That's one thing with those 2 cylinders lots of torque. My plow is a little wonder. The little brother of the well known little genius. It was part of the free plow program in the 1930's. I never measured it to see the actual size of it. I'm happy with it for a 100.00 plow.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I thought I shared this link on this thread but when I checked today it’s not there (maybe my O L D disease is flaring up and either I posted to wrong my thread or just forgot?)…anyway I found this interesting. It’s not short but I found it helpful / digestible. For the pros out there what else I need to know / consider?

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Picked up a hitch hiker this morning…I feel a little dirty and ashamed on the color though.😉.
That's awesome! Is it a 2x14 or 2x16? Also, what year do you think it was made? Really looking forward to seeing how you get along with it behind the MX.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
That's awesome! Is it a 2x14 or 2x16? Also, what year do you think it was made? Really looking forward to seeing how you get along with it behind the MX.
Thanks. It’s a 2x14. I am not really sure how to tell the age…any ideas? Please advise.

It seemed to me like it’s in pretty good shape and seems to be in working order…however, the depth guage wheel(see the side view pic)…I’ve not seen a rim like that but I am not sure it’s fine as is or should have a tire on it? It almost looks to me like there is a valve stem hole in the rim, but I don’t see how a bead would seat to it? But it appears to have a hole for a valve stem? If anyone knows please advise.

it also appears to be a cat 2. I’ll be shocked if my QH20 fits it(I did not measure the spread yet).

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Why didn't you just toss the plow into the truck bed ? Seems like overkill to haul the HUGE trailer !
I am not sure you are serious or not…I am not sure why would anyone put that in the back of a Truck if they have a capable trailer and are capable to drive / back it….are you serious? I’ve pulled and backed trailers for years…it’s really not an issue for me. I would not consider That trailer very big at all. It’s a lot easier and less likely to damage the trucks folding tonneau cover if the plow is on the trailer…It’s easier to secure it to a trailer…it’s going to sit on that trailer till I take it up to the place up north so it reduces handling. And most importantly it’s what I decided to do with my truck and trailer. 🥶

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
I am not sure you are serious or not…I am not sure why would anyone put that in the back of a Truck if they have a capable trailer and are capable to drive / back it….are you serious? I’ve pulled and backed trailers for years…it’s really not an issue for me. I would not consider That trailer very big at all. It’s a lot easier and less likely to damage the trucks folding tonneau cover if the plow is on the trailer…It’s easier to secure it to a trailer…it’s going to sit on that trailer till I take it up to the place up north so it reduces handling. And most importantly it’s what I decided to do with my truck and trailer. 🥶
But think of the MPG…. Greta is gonna be pissed!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Apr 25, 2023
WI
Picked up a hitch hiker this morning…I feel a little dirty and ashamed on the color though.😉.
Nice score! I'm a bit jealous. Even though my ih planter goes with the plow nice and is patriotic colors. Look around on the beams and look for stamped numbers. And type them in on Google. That's how I found info on my plow.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Nice score! I'm a bit jealous. Even though my ih planter goes with the plow nice and is patriotic colors. Look around on the beams and look for stamped numbers. And type them in on Google. That's how I found info on my plow.
Thanks. From what I have read I sort of think it is an 812(but I don’t know that to be true)…I haven’t actually found any JD publication / print that specifies it. The numbers I can find on it are in the pics below. Please advise.

Attachments

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Apr 25, 2023
WI
Thanks. From what I have read I sort of think it is an 812(but I don’t know that to be true)…I haven’t actually found any JD publication / print that specifies it. The numbers I can find on it are in the pics below. Please advise.
Here's a couple of links off one of my favorite tractor sites that might help.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I was watching TTWT this morning and was surprised to see him with a brand new Maschio 3 bottom turnover plow, basically a modern version of the two JD turnover plows I have. I can only imagine what that plow costs, but when you consider how cheap plows can be in the used market, there's limited risk. The steel is worth more than that plow when you buy them used ... maybe.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Here's a couple of links off one of my favorite tractor sites that might help.

Thanks. I’ve looked through there and lots of info…I am still not certain what I have…I can’t find it stated in JD publication (yet), but from what I can sort of decipher is the 4XX series were Cat 1 and the 8XX cat 2…but I don’t know that to be true….and maybe that was the series? Then the actual model maybe just maybe the last digit indicates the number of bottoms…ie. 812 is 810 series and 2 bottoms. Like wise the 813 is 3 bottoms, 814 is 4 bottoms…seems like the same applies for the 400 series. Beyond that seems like there were several options / variations but I have not deciphered those codes….so bottom line is I am not sure. If anyone knows what I am piecing together please advise with some facts.

I order a parts manual for the series that I think it belongs to and hope that will help narrow it down.