How does float mode work with bucket?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
You push the hyd. lever just a bit past where you feel resistance when lowering the bucket. The bucket then has no hyd. pressure pushing in down (or up). This allows the bucket (with the bottom flat on the ground) to float. Which allows you to follow the contour with the weight of the steel pushing or dragging material.

Reactions: 3 users

Roknstevo

Jan 21, 2023
North Carolina
You push the hyd. lever just a bit past where you feel resistance when lowering the bucket. The bucket then has no hyd. pressure pushing in down (or up). This allows the bucket (with the bottom flat on the ground) to float. Which allows you to follow the contour with the weight of the steel pushing or dragging material.
Thanks….I was having trouble with the bucket digging into the ground.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
also ...in 'float' ,you have to go slow, to allow time for the bucket to follow the contours of the land

Reactions: 1 users

My Barn

Equipment
Kubota, Ford
Sep 14, 2022
Michigan
It's a learning curve...That you will get better at with time.

Reactions: 1 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
With a toothbar on - I use float a lot to level out gravel in my driveway - the backside edge (under the bucket) is about 1/2" thick and grabs just enough to pull gravel without digging or allowing rears to spin.
Float is an awesome tool for getting just a bit of material to move.

Reactions: 2 users

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
With a toothbar on - I use float a lot to level out gravel in my driveway - the backside edge (under the bucket) is about 1/2" thick and grabs just enough to pull gravel without digging or allowing rears to spin.
Float is an awesome tool for getting just a bit of material to move.

Agreed.

Especially useful when I just want to 'smooth' a small section of driveway/other.

I just tilt the bucket over a bit, put the FEL in 'float' mode and back drag. It doesn't pull a lot material that way and will follow any contours of the surface.

Last edited:

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
I have found using the the bucket float is an excercize in futility trying to get a level cut. More control feathering the bucket than in float. Backdragging is a different story. When using an implement like the rachet rake, float works fin for pulling debris/weeds

Reactions: 1 user

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
Remember to use float when going in reverse only. Go slow. If you are digging in you might get a nasty expensive surprise.
Yes…I have seen instances of bent hydraulic cylinders/shafts (or whatever the “shiny” parts are called)😊

Grandad4

Equipment
1949 Farmall M, previously owned: L 4610, BX 2230
Apr 5, 2016
Greensboro, NC
Remember to use float when going in reverse only. Go slow. If you are digging in you might get a nasty expensive surprise.
Yes! Float is very useful, but only going backwards! It only takes a slight snag going forwards to pop the front wheels off the ground. Also nice and slow does best.

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
I have found using the the bucket float is an excercize in futility trying to get a level cut. More control feathering the bucket than in float.
I agree.... in my soil conditions only time it works well for me is when moving snow on frozen ground. Otherwise cutting edge digs in and lifts front wheels if being to aggressive. Roll buck lip up so it doesn't dig in and bucket just floats over the ground doing not much.