County Line Tiller....

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
For the past three years my wife has used a walk (run/drag) behind tiller. Her neck has gotten to the point of needing a second surgery and I feel that this will be too much for her this spring. So I have decided to get a 3pt attachment.

The best price I can find on a tiller is a County Line 60 inch, which is about $1,000 cheaper than Landpride or similar makers, at $2,700. Does anyone have any experience with this brand of tiller? Any input would be appreciated.

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
how big a garden and what type of soil conditions?

my neighbour uses same an a small 4,000 sq. foot garden, light / sandy soil and no rocks and it works flawlessly. I have seen him till his garden and a B series tractor handles it no problems at all.

since yours is already tilled with a walk behind (already broken ground, loose and probably rock free) the Country Line should work perfectly well.

I till my wifes garden which is much larger with a husqvarna walk behind powered wheels and the Country Line 3pt would be huge upgrade IMHO.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
buy it, use it, it'll probably be handed down to your grandkids. You don't need a super,heavy duty tiller on an existing garden,espcially if you keep adding compost every Spring !

Reactions: 1 users

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Have the 5 foot model for my L, have had it 3 years and no issues with it.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
For the past three years my wife has used a walk (run/drag) behind tiller. Her neck has gotten to the point of needing a second surgery and I feel that this will be too much for her this spring. So I have decided to get a 3pt attachment.

The best price I can find on a tiller is a County Line 60 inch, which is about $1,000 cheaper than Landpride or similar makers, at $2,700. Does anyone have any experience with this brand of tiller? Any input would be appreciated.
The County Line name is a marketing name, used by Tractor Supply.
Though TSC may use various suppliers, Tarter Gate is their usual tiller supplier.
Tarter Gate is a manufacturer of low end attachments.
YMMV ?

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I am not familiar with that particular tiller…I have two 3pt LPs and one walk behind Honda cultivator…grew up with a two stroke lawn boy and an Ariens walk behind two wheel tractor. In my opinion if you have the space a 3pt is way more easier on aging joints than a walk behind. So I think so long as the tiller works as designed and advertised you should be happy. If I were buying another I think my main considerations would be tiller width vs tractor track…personally I would want:
1. to cover the tire tracks (is your L really cover by a 60” width tiller? Is that working width or overall on the tiller? I would think a L could run a wider tiller if you so choose without any problem).
2. If you have any need to offset that is another feature that gives user some flexibility.
3. Reverse or forward rotation.
4. PTO driveline shear bolt or slipper clutch
5. Working depth
6. Need or want a kickstand…I appreciate it but I have forgetting it was down…parts availability is maybe a thought in general.
7. Does it have grease zerks? (Just for maintenance or consider again about parts availability).

At the end of the day regardless which features matter to you or which model you choose, 3pt beats a walk behind hands down….only time it does not is in a tight space…so sometimes you have to consider approach and departure from garden and maybe back over what you will then drive forward over and till if not enough room to get out of garden space….still better than a walk behind IMO. Good luck.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I would shop Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist and buy a used one. There are lots of people who think it would be fun to have a big garden and soon learn that its a lot of work. I pledge the fifth amendment.

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
I run some Made in Italy 5' tiller, tractor is 6'. I LIKE the tire tracks ! They become the walkways and weeds seldom grow there.The beds are 5' wide, so EASY access from either side. Veggy patch was 90x340ish, once I installed drip irrigation(1200-1400'), it was easy to maintain. Had 6 long rows. I weeded ONE row a day(didn't take too long ) and 7th day ...NO weeding...

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I am not familiar with that particular tiller…I have two 3pt LPs and one walk behind Honda cultivator…grew up with a two stroke lawn boy and an Ariens walk behind two wheel tractor. In my opinion if you have the space a 3pt is way more easier on aging joints than a walk behind. So I think so long as the tiller works as designed and advertised you should be happy. If I were buying another I think my main considerations would be tiller width vs tractor track…personally I would want:
1. to cover the tire tracks (is your L really cover by a 60” width tiller? Is that working width or overall on the tiller? I would think a L could run a wider tiller if you so choose without any problem).
2. If you have any need to offset that is another feature that gives user some flexibility.
3. Reverse or forward rotation.
4. PTO driveline shear bolt or slipper clutch
5. Working depth
6. Need or want a kickstand…I appreciate it but I have forgetting it was down…parts availability is maybe a thought in general.
7. Does it have grease zerks? (Just for maintenance or consider again about parts availability).

At the end of the day regardless which features matter to you or which model you choose, 3pt beats a walk behind hands down….only time it does not is in a tight space…so sometimes you have to consider approach and departure from garden and maybe back over what you will then drive forward over and till if not enough room to get out of garden space….still better than a walk behind IMO. Good luck.
1- 60 inch will cover the track on my L (L3200 with R4s), not sure if the L4400 is wider.

3-it can be set up for forward or reverse rotation by flipping the gear box over and pulling the tine assembly and turning it around, it’s not terribly hard. I originally set mine up for reverse, but switched it to forward because it ended up throwing a lot of dirt up on the back of the tractor.

4-has a slip clutch

5- it’s 7 or 8 inches if I recall correctly

6-has a kick stand…the kick stand is stronger then the bolts that hold the mount on 😂

7- does have grease zerk(s?) I know there it one one the right side bearing, can’t recall of the top of my head if there is any others.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire

Your wife isn’t going to shoot you for all of a sudden buying a tractor rototiller now that you have to do, when she had to fight with a walk behind tiller when she was doing it?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
Had a look at both tiller and tractor specs...
Similar to my units, so yours is a good 'match.
Tiller will be a lifetine investment.
If you keep it centered you'll get 5' beds separated by 1' wide paths made by the tires. Every one of the 20 years, I added 10-12 dump trailers of compost( mix of horse poop,grass clippings, leaves(NO BLACK WALNUT !!! ),veggie scraps,mushroom compost,chicken dung, etc.). ebded up with a minimum of 2' deep black,loamy,rich 'garden soil',where everything grew including 1600# pumpkins.

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM

I have the TSC 48” tiller and it works great. I subsoil and then till.
I looked for a used tiller for a few years without any luck. I think you could get your money back if you sell it later.
I paid $1400 in Feb 2020 and the same thing is now $2300.

beerguzzlingslob

Equipment
B2601
Feb 15, 2023
U.S.A.
Hi. New member. I have the 4 foot County Line and it works great. I did have to shorten the PTO shaft for my B2601. I use it in the garden and have put in food plots with 2 passes tilling 50 year old thick sod in an old pasture. It has a slip clutch and it slips if I hit a big stone.

Last edited:

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
I'd go for it. Initially I had the tiller in the "rent, don't buy" category but it's hard to plan in advance and if you do that's the weekend everybody else wants to rent the only tiller in town. If the weather lines up and it needs tilled you can knock it out on a whim. With a small garden, previously tilled soil, etc. it should last forever.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Had a look at both tiller and tractor specs...
Similar to my units, so yours is a good 'match.
Tiller will be a lifetine investment.
If you keep it centered you'll get 5' beds separated by 1' wide paths made by the tires. Every one of the 20 years, I added 10-12 dump trailers of compost( mix of horse poop,grass clippings, leaves(NO BLACK WALNUT !!! ),veggie scraps,mushroom compost,chicken dung, etc.). ebded up with a minimum of 2' deep black,loamy,rich 'garden soil',where everything grew including 1600# pumpkins.

Ah yes.....
"Horse poop" the perfect application of weed seeds!

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Thanks for all the replies. I measured and the 60 inch is going to be a good bit short on the tires. BUT I found a 72 inch one for just $200 ($300 less than here intern at TSC, go figure) more at a TSC about 30 miles away. So I'm going to order that online and go get it.

WDF

Equipment
Kubota L2501 HST/FEL
Jan 4, 2021
Central Florida
Do you live where there's a Rural King? They sell a USA-made tiller with gear drive for less than the CountyLine that TSC carries which is made in India.

I've been looking for one as well, it's on the short list of purchases. Hoping to score a good deal at an auction, else I'll buy the one at RK.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Do you live where there's a Rural King? They sell a USA-made tiller with gear drive for less than the CountyLine that TSC carries which is made in India.

I've been looking for one as well, it's on the short list of purchases. Hoping to score a good deal at an auction, else I'll buy the one at RK.
Unless TSC has changed suppliers recently, their tillers are made by Tarter Gate, in the USA.
Rural King sells King Kutter tillers, which are made in the USA and have a good reputation.
I own a 60" King Kutter tiller.
AgriSupply sells Caroni tillers made in Italy, and they are said to be very good also.

WDF

Equipment
Kubota L2501 HST/FEL
Jan 4, 2021
Central Florida
Unless TSC has changed suppliers recently, their tillers are made by Tarter Gate, in the USA.
Rural King sells King Kutter tillers, which are made in the USA and have a good reputation.
I own a 60" King Kutter tiller.
AgriSupply sells Caroni tillers made in Italy, and they are said to be very good also.
I looked at one at TSC a couple weeks ago and it clearly said "Made in India" on the top.
CountyLine is a TSC brand name, and they (TSC) sources items from around the world and sells under their house brand.