New Guy

Sparky Prep

Dec 24, 2022
South Florida
I didn't see a specific introduction thread or category, so I decided to post this here. Hi. New to the forum. I am 45 years old, and I own a small "ranch" in rural South Florida. I have several head of cattle, chickens, and a garden. I currently run a very old (1970ish) Ford 3000 tractor that I inherited from my dad, that is on it's last legs. I am considering buying a new (2023) Kubota L4702 to replace it. I'm not even sure if this model is available to order yet, since the only info I can find is on the L4701. I am a little bit of a prepper, and a little bit of a homesteader. I've lived on this little 10 acre farm since I was born, and love my little chunk of land. I will lurk around here and learn as much as I can from you guys (and gals). Any info I can get from everyone will be greatly appreciated, and, hopefully, I might be able to help some of you out with something I know.

I generally like to be helpful with people I know, my neighbors, and my friends. I don't have much patience with "city folks", although I would consider myself a "nice guy". I look forward to getting to know you.

Reactions: 9 users

Tropical Jack

Equipment
Kubota L3301 w/ FEL & BH, tilt and trim, chipper, box blade, grading blade
Welcome Sparky! I used to live in East Fort Myers, but now live in Western North Carolina. I had a 3000 series Ford with front end loader for years; but Irma had her way with her when I lived in FL. Now I have an L3301 Kubota. I bought my Kubota used several years ago, and have been pretty happy with it.

Jack

Reactions: 1 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Sparky, welcome. You come on here wanting to purchase a new machine...... folks here can spend your money almost as fast as Congress!!!! Beware. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Sparky Prep

Dec 24, 2022
South Florida
Welcome Sparky! I used to live in East Fort Myers, but now live in Western North Carolina. I had a 3000 series Ford with front end loader for years; but Irma had her way with her when I lived in FL. Now I have an L3301 Kubota. I bought my Kubota used several years ago, and have been pretty happy with it.

Jack
Small world. I work for FPL, and frequently travel to Ft. Meyers for work. I live on the East coast of Lake Okeechobee, in Martin county.

Reactions: 1 user

Sparky Prep

Dec 24, 2022
South Florida
Anyone seen a L4702 in the wild, maybe at a dealership? I assume it is just a L4701 with similar upgrades as what the L3302 and 3902 got last year. Thinking of going with a gear drive with shuttle shift, since I will be mostly mowing and tilling with it. Should be able to run a 6' bush hog no problem, and the loader should be able to move round bales safely. I already have a bunch of implements, such as a hydraulic log splitter (I will need a rear remote), fertilizer spreader, fence post pulling jib, and a scraper. I plan on getting some modest pallet forks for moving things around the farm, and using them to double as a bail spear.

Anyone know anything about this tractor?

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, Wicked grapple, 6’ bush hog, pallet forks, 7’ box blade, 6’ Wicked bucket
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
I have an “18 L4701 & really like it. It is not too big & not too small. Think really hard about 3rd function remote on the front (grapples are very handy).
I have multi flora rose on my property & do not believe it will hurt your tires. The thorns are not long or sturdy enough. I do have locust trees, which have a thorn long & sturdy enough to penetrate an R4. I use Liquitube in my fronts & rears (which was successfully tested by a locust thorn, in my right front).
I chose removable ballast in a rear carry-all for my needs, but that is just personal preference.
You have the right approach, ask questions, filter the responses, do what works best for you.

Sparky Prep

Dec 24, 2022
South Florida

Jack
Lehigh Acres?

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I always think the L3902 is better buying than the L4x0x. Do you have a specific weight limit? The general rule of thumb is:
  • If you need an L size machine (maybe you're trailering it) then the L33/39 are great buying.
  • L2502 if you don't like emissions equipment
  • If you're looking at the L4701 then you probably need an MX, or should consider a Grand L instead
  • Maybe the L4701 if you need a specific weight (trailering) and you have a task that can use a lot of PTO horsepower (chipper? Snow blower? Maybe swinging a big mower....but it's not a big enough tractor to take a big mower). In general it can't put 47hp on the ground, not enough traction. The 39 can spin all 4 wheels, so no real point in 47hp.
I didn't know the L could be had with shuttle shift - are you sure?

For tilling I'd go HST. For mowing anything other than long straight lines, also HST. For loader work (bales), both HST and probably the MX for weight/stability.

Roknstevo

Jan 21, 2023
North Carolina
I didn't see a specific introduction thread or category, so I decided to post this here. Hi. New to the forum. I am 45 years old, and I own a small "ranch" in rural South Florida. I have several head of cattle, chickens, and a garden. I currently run a very old (1970ish) Ford 3000 tractor that I inherited from my dad, that is on it's last legs. I am considering buying a new (2023) Kubota L4702 to replace it. I'm not even sure if this model is available to order yet, since the only info I can find is on the L4701. I am a little bit of a prepper, and a little bit of a homesteader. I've lived on this little 10 acre farm since I was born, and love my little chunk of land. I will lurk around here and learn as much as I can from you guys (and gals). Any info I can get from everyone will be greatly appreciated, and, hopefully, I might be able to help some of you out with something I know.

I generally like to be helpful with people I know, my neighbors, and my friends. I don't have much patience with "city folks", although I would consider myself a "nice guy". I look forward to getting to know you.
Hey, Cracker....I just joined this forum today....Was born in Starke in’49. Wife and I just moving to NC. We’ve bought 6 acres in Brushy Mountains. Trading in my 25’ Parker for a tractor. I’m looking at a small Kubota, so I’m here for some advice.....Looking forward to some expert advice. Glad to make your acquaintance.

Sparky Prep

Dec 24, 2022
South Florida
Hey, Cracker....I just joined this forum today....Was born in Starke in’49. Wife and I just moving to NC. We’ve bought 6 acres in Brushy Mountains. Trading in my 25’ Parker for a tractor. I’m looking at a small Kubota, so I’m here for some advice.....Looking forward to some expert advice. Glad to make your acquaintance.
Hey cracker!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Hey cracker!
I think someone better do some clarifying!

Sparky Prep

Dec 24, 2022
South Florida
Lol. Has nothing to do with race. A "cracker" is a Florida cowboy. Got the name historically from the "cracking" of a bull whip when driving cattle across the swamplands.

Roknstevo

Jan 21, 2023
North Carolina

Jack
Jack....I’m just moving to Brushy Mts. Bought 6 acres. Need a small tractor. How many hrs
Lol. Has nothing to do with race. A "cracker" is a Florida cowboy. Got the name historically from the "cracking" of a bull whip when driving cattle across the swamplands.
10-4...Tell ‘em about it....Case closed...OK?

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Well please explain!
Because the cracker I know, is not something that someone else is allowed to call someone!
It is a commonly used term here in Florida, to denote what in other areas might be considered a "local yokel".
In Florida, "Cracker" may be considered by some to have mildly negative connotations, but it is not seriously hurtful.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Welcome Sparky! Sounds like you have a nice piece of dirt (sand?) Down there! Former FL guy here from PB county. That cracker thing had me rolling. As a kid, we moved to Norfolk and the schools weren't great. I got called one repeatedly. Took me a while to figure out it wasn't because I came from Florida! 🤣