New (to me) BX and to the forum

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Welcome to the Orange Club!
As one or two have already mentioned; stick to the Kubota hydraulic oil. A quart of something else isn't going to do harm, but for a full on change it's worth sticking to factory recommendations. Wise choice to go ahead with an engine oil change. It's inexpensive and good insurance. Diesel oil does go black pretty fast but you'll know where you stand with a fresh fill. I'd recommend a good diesel fuel additive- Amsoil, Howes, Standyne....take your pick. The important thing is to use a demulsifier to let the water separator do its job. Speaking of fuel- if you can find an off road diesel pump it'll save you the road tax on fuel. Off road fuel here is $0.75 cheaper. Not sure what Maine taxes are.
Enjoy the machine!

Reactions: 1 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
It is amazing how when someone reads and digest what is in the manuals how they ask relevant, applicable questions!! Good job and enjoy your tractor.

Reactions: 3 users

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
If you plan to use it for snow removal remove the mower deck. I didn't do that the 2nd year, had the deck locked in the top setting. The fuel filter under th tractor iced up. No room to replace it, darn hard to get heat gun aimed on it.

6-7' of fuel line, splice and hose clamps and I moved it out from under the BX where it can be easily serviced.
20220218_124754.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

GreX

Equipment
BX2380
Jan 8, 2023
Maine
Welcome to the Orange Club!
As one or two have already mentioned; stick to the Kubota hydraulic oil. A quart of something else isn't going to do harm, but for a full on change it's worth sticking to factory recommendations. Wise choice to go ahead with an engine oil change. It's inexpensive and good insurance. Diesel oil does go black pretty fast but you'll know where you stand with a fresh fill. I'd recommend a good diesel fuel additive- Amsoil, Howes, Standyne....take your pick. The important thing is to use a demulsifier to let the water separator do its job. Speaking of fuel- if you can find an off road diesel pump it'll save you the road tax on fuel. Off road fuel here is $0.75 cheaper. Not sure what Maine taxes are.
Enjoy the machine!
When you say an additive, are you talking about something that helps prevent the fuel from gelling up? I did add some Diesel 911 (from PowerServe) to winterize the diesel in the fuel tank, but are you talking about something like an 'octane' booster, which I used to use in high performance car engines?

I will also have to ask/call around and see if we have anything like an off road fueling station, given that diesel fuel is $5.95/gal here in the Portland (Maine) area.

• Wow

GreX

Equipment
BX2380
Jan 8, 2023
Maine
If you plan to use it for snow removal remove the mower deck. I didn't do that the 2nd year, had the deck locked in the top setting. The fuel filter under th tractor iced up. No room to replace it, darn hard to get heat gun aimed on it.

6-7' of fuel line, splice and hose clamps and I moved it out from under the BX where it can be easily serviced.
View attachment 93716
The mower deck has been removed for winter, previous owner had done that since I just got it a week ago, but it is something I do with my Ryobi riding mower - snow blade on, mower deck off - but good insights for anyone else looking to use their machine year round.

GreX

Equipment
BX2380
Jan 8, 2023
Maine
It is amazing how when someone reads and digest what is in the manuals how they ask relevant, applicable questions!! Good job and enjoy your tractor.
I'm a bit of a research nerd... I had read the manual twice before even purchasing the thing. When I went to look at it in person, I asked the previous owner questions about different things (as its different looking at them in person versus on a piece of digital paper) and he was like, not sure, but I was able to determine each of the things. He had the tractor locked in 4x4 mode and seemed the speed selector was always engaged... Hoping that didn't do any harm, as it was a bit difficult to get the 4x4 to disengage, but once done, the tractor felt a whole lot more nimble, and I'll be sure to keep this thing in neutral and out of 4x4, unless needed (should still cycle it at least monthly though, just to keep things moving).

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Power Service 911 is Not a gel prevention additive. It is used after it has gelled to melt the gelling away. You want to use the Power Service diesel additive in the white bottle which is a gel prevention additive.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
When you say an additive, are you talking about something that helps prevent the fuel from gelling up? I did add some Diesel 911 (from PowerServe) to winterize the diesel in the fuel tank, but are you talking about something like an 'octane' booster, which I used to use in high performance car engines?

I will also have to ask/call around and see if we have anything like an off road fueling station, given that diesel fuel is $5.95/gal here in the Portland (Maine) area.
911 is to liquefy fuel that has already gelled up. What you want is the Power Service in the white bottle. That will help prevent it from happening. Power Service in the silver bottle is for temps above 35° or so. PS is good stuff. I've used it before. Both improve cetane too.

GreX

Equipment
BX2380
Jan 8, 2023
Maine
Power Service 911 is Not a gel prevention additive. It is used after it has gelled to melt the gelling away. You want to use the Power Service diesel additive in the white bottle which is a gel prevention additive.
I'm hoping adding an oz of this stuff doesn't cause any issue with non-gelled fuel? I will pick up the white bottle stuff and add that when I refuel. Thanks!

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I'm hoping adding an oz of this stuff doesn't cause any issue with non-gelled fuel? I will pick up the white bottle stuff and add that when I refuel. Thanks!
No harm done with the 911.
Most pump fuels are already treated for your regions average temps. The sudden and severe cold snaps is what gets us in trouble. That's what happened to TX last year. This is pump diesel when it's 20° colder than the average low temperature. It didn't gel but it was way into the cloud point.
cold diesel.jpg

GreX

Equipment
BX2380
Jan 8, 2023
Maine
No harm done with the 911.
Most pump fuels are already treated for your regions average temps. The sudden and severe cold snaps is what gets us in trouble. That's what happened to TX last year. This is pump diesel when it's 20° colder than the average low temperature. It didn't gel but it was way into the cloud point.
View attachment 93724
That is very interesting looking. Is this something that could happen while operating the tractor? I ask, since the tractor will be stored in a heated garage, and the only time it should experience anything like a cold snap, or sudden change of temperature, is when it leaves the garage.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
That is very interesting looking. Is this something that could happen while operating the tractor? I ask, since the tractor will be stored in a heated garage, and the only time it should experience anything like a cold snap, or sudden change of temperature, is when it leaves the garage.
I wasn't very specific. Sorry. I wasn't talking about sudden temperature changes like going from inside to outside. I meant changes as in Polar Vortex/ Bomb Cyclone temp drops. Where the weather changes quickly and the fuel suppliers have not fortified the fuels to meet that low temp.
Straight diesel will cloud at 15°f. In Maine they probably treat it down to 0°f. But if it all of a sudden went to nights in the -20°s the fuel in your tank wouldn't be treated for temps that low. It happens especially with equipment like tractors where the fuel may have been purchased in the fall.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Welcome to the Orange,, Now after you get and the shop stuff done oil change and filters and such, you will be ready to rock. OK now for being locked into 4wd if I read that right,, lightly LIGHTLY again lightly step on the tram pedal and try to move the lever if not forward then try reverse,, and I say LIGHTLY press the pedal. The same with upper and low range. And never stomp down onthe lock out if the wheels are spinning,,, rallllyy bad juju! Or just have the shop check it out since it will be there to start with.
Oil wise yeah stick with the SUDT, not cheap but you have a bunch tied up in your tractor.
Engine oil I run M1, just because Im a snob about it, and I ran M1 in the HD since new so there ya go.

NOW, you have a FEL, when you want to play/use it and you will! Think everything through, not just what you want to do, but what can happen if you have one of those AWWW SHYT moments,,, dont ask.
Slow and easy untill you get it figured out. Things can happen in a heart beat, and they do so slow and easy, and think things through.
You will find out that little BX will do more than you ever thought, and dont let anyone tell you it is an over priced lawnmower!
OH one more thing and this is the most important thing,, never and I mean NEVER let your bride see/know how much fun you are having, because if you do and she gets on,, well son ya might want to get another tractor,,, just sayin ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

GreX

Equipment
BX2380
Jan 8, 2023
Maine
Welcome to the Orange,, Now after you get and the shop stuff done oil change and filters and such, you will be ready to rock. OK now for being locked into 4wd if I read that right,, lightly LIGHTLY again lightly step on the tram pedal and try to move the lever if not forward then try reverse,, and I say LIGHTLY press the pedal. The same with upper and low range. And never stomp down onthe lock out if the wheels are spinning,,, rallllyy bad juju! Or just have the shop check it out since it will be there to start with.
Oil wise yeah stick with the SUDT, not cheap but you have a bunch tied up in your tractor.
Engine oil I run M1, just because Im a snob about it, and I ran M1 in the HD since new so there ya go.

NOW, you have a FEL, when you want to play/use it and you will! Think everything through, not just what you want to do, but what can happen if you have one of those AWWW SHYT moments,,, dont ask.
Slow and easy untill you get it figured out. Things can happen in a heart beat, and they do so slow and easy, and think things through.
You will find out that little BX will do more than you ever thought, and dont let anyone tell you it is an over priced lawnmower!
OH one more thing and this is the most important thing,, never and I mean NEVER let your bride see/know how much fun you are having, because if you do and she gets on,, well son ya might want to get another tractor,,, just sayin ;)
Sorry, the lever was stuck, but I did as you said and was able to get it out of 4x4 mode, but it took more than what folks have mentioned to do, just took some extra time, so everything is good (unless there was damage caused by always being in 4x4 mode) with that portion.

Yeah, I only use Mobil 1 oils on my cars/truck - coming from the German side of things, and that is the recommended oil - if it will work in these tractors, I'll go that direction when I do my own changes.

I will be going VERY slow with this thing, it's a bit intimidating so far, but I've driven it for all of .1-.2 hours. I know it's a 'little' tractor, but its way bigger than the garden variety tractors I've used thus far - with the bucket and the snow blower on, the tractor is almost 16 feet long. I will be thinking through everything, every step of the way, and likely trying to do it with increasing loads as I go.

And zero worries about my wife wanting to use the thing, she won't even use my Ryobi riding mower, says its too large and too loud, so this thing scares her - I needed her to sit on it and activate the rear PTO, so I could spray lubricant on the snow blower's chain, and as soon as I was done, she jumped off and had no ambitions of getting back on.

• Haha

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I'm a bit of a research nerd... I had read the manual twice before even purchasing the thing. When I went to look at it in person, I asked the previous owner questions about different things (as its different looking at them in person versus on a piece of digital paper) and he was like, not sure, but I was able to determine each of the things. He had the tractor locked in 4x4 mode and seemed the speed selector was always engaged... Hoping that didn't do any harm, as it was a bit difficult to get the 4x4 to disengage, but once done, the tractor felt a whole lot more nimble, and I'll be sure to keep this thing in neutral and out of 4x4, unless needed (should still cycle it at least monthly though, just to keep things moving).
Often times getting the tractor into or out of 4 wheel drive, rolling the machine forward or reverse a few inches takes the pressure off and makes easier to shift. I always have the clutch depressed when shifting into or out of 4x4.

Dave Ogren

Equipment
BX23S w/FEL &BH &60" Mowing Deck, 48" Dirty Dog Box Blade, 48" Tar River Tiller,
Feb 16, 2022
Asheville, N. C.
Often times getting the tractor into or out of 4 wheel drive, rolling the machine forward or reverse a few inches takes the pressure off and makes easier to shift. I always have the clutch depressed when shifting into or out of 4x4.
Also never use 4 wheel in a paved surface.

GreX

Equipment
BX2380
Jan 8, 2023
Maine
I'm not sure where the 'clutch' petal is on the BX, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have one, as its a hydrostatic transmission, am I missing something?

GreX

Equipment
BX2380
Jan 8, 2023
Maine
Also never use 4 wheel in a paved surface.
Any reason to never use it on a paved surface? I know the turning radius suffers, where it will skip, at least that's how my truck's 4 wheel drive system works. I think the only time I'd want to use the 4x4 on a paved surface, is when using the snow blower. Maybe I've reading too much in to the word 'never'?

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
I'm not sure where the 'clutch' petal is on the BX, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have one, as its a hydrostatic transmission, am I missing something?
Correct. No clutch on a BX2380.

JimDeL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2380; R4 tires; 54" MMM; FEL w Pirahna bar; Ballast Box; BXpanded skid plate.
Aug 31, 2022
Austintown, Ohio
Any reason to never use it on a paved surface? I know the turning radius suffers, where it will skip, at least that's how my truck's 4 wheel drive system works. I think the only time I'd want to use the 4x4 on a paved surface, is when using the snow blower. Maybe I've reading too much in to the word 'never'?
It has to do with the gearing and tire circumference differences. Unless everything is perfectly matched (which it seldom ever is) there will be increased strain on the drivetrain when used on paved surfaces where traction is much better. Using 4WD on snow covered pavement should be acceptable, though, since the snow will allow some slippage.