Self-Check-out at Walmart

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
WalMart is figuring out how to avoid checking receipts at the exits….by using AI.

Reactions: 1 users

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
WalMart is figuring out how to avoid checking receipts at the exits….by using AI.

Excellent use of surveillance equipment and observant employees to catch this person!

THIS is exactly what should be done (create probable cause to stop and question the person) instead of carpet bombing everyone. Good job Walmart.

Reactions: 1 user

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I wonder if she will end up suing Walmart for not offering her proper training on how to use self-checkout leading to the 'mistaken' use of the device?

She could use the fact that Walmart spends hours training regular store employees to checkout customers, but offer no training to customers on how to use the equipment.

Nothing would surprise me.

• Haha

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I wonder if she will end up suing Walmart for not offering her proper training on how to use self-checkout leading to the 'mistaken' use of the device?

She could use the fact that Walmart spends hours training regular store employees to checkout customers, but offer no training to customers on how to use the equipment.

Nothing would surprise me.
^^^^^
Me either. Woman attempting to sue Kraft/Heinz for 5 million dollars alleging their 'Mac and Cheese' microwave bowl will not cook in the advertised 3.5 minutes. Sheeesh....!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I think the first hint that things might not go like planed is the name of the store... I think about 80% of everybody in my local TS carry,, sooo take that for what it is worth

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
If that happened in New England or the Northeast, the person that shot out the tires would be charged with a gun violation. I heard on the news that NJ will not even respond to shoplifter complaints from the stores unless the amount is greater than a thousand dollars. When I called the police on a shoplifter in one of my stores, the police came but told me that it was a waste of time to try to prosecute, because the judge just gives them a pass on the charges. A few hundred years ago a thief had his hand cut off!

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
If that happened in New England or the Northeast, the person that shot out the tires would be charged with a gun violation. I heard on the news that NJ will not even respond to shoplifter complaints from the stores unless the amount is greater than a thousand dollars. When I called the police on a shoplifter in one of my stores, the police came but told me that it was a waste of time to try to prosecute, because the judge just gives them a pass on the charges. A few hundred years ago a thief had his hand cut off!
I do not recall mutilation in any of my US history books for theft. Perhaps some slave owners but not by law. Islamic yes.
I am no law student so please correct me with facts.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
My Wife (recently retired from WallyMart) used to 'observe' the self-checkouts. She used to tell me stories of the MANY ways customers attempted to skirt the system.

Many shoppers are not aware that the 'observer' can SEE EVERY ITEM SCANNED and has CAMERAS on their handheld device.

It is commonplace for customers to scan a stick of gum or candybar multiple times while putting expensive things in the shopping-bag.

She told me about one customer who attempted to scan a car-battery by turning it UPSIDE DOWN on the scanner..... the battery acid went into the machine and it was broken for weeks awaiting parts which were corroded by battery acid.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
I do not recall mutilation in any of my US history books for theft. Perhaps some slave owners but not by law. Islamic yes.
I am no law student so please correct me with facts.
I grew up in the Kingdom of Arabia and and can tell you they INDEED cut off body-parts in accordance to the crime.
  • Stealing
  • Saying something bad about the King
  • Messing with the wrong woman
I will let the reader figure out which body part was inflicted for each infraction...

BTW: The sentence was carried out in public square so EVERYONE can see..... the crime rate in Arabia is very low.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
yes there is some truth to this. I'll elaborate. Since the cops don't prosecute petty shoplifters, the stores have to hire loss prevention teams. Or if they can't/don't, they have to increase the cost to the consumer to offset the estimated shoplifting losses. Or if they DO have a loss prevention team, that means there's employee(s) that are paid to do just that-prevent thefts, and what do ya have to pay them? $40k? Who "really" pays for it? Sure ain't the store....

shoplifters ain't smart enough to figure out that it costs everyone. Or they don't care. Or both.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
yes there is some truth to this. I'll elaborate. Since the cops don't prosecute petty shoplifters, the stores have to hire loss prevention teams. Or if they can't/don't, they have to increase the cost to the consumer to offset the estimated shoplifting losses. Or if they DO have a loss prevention team, that means there's employee(s) that are paid to do just that-prevent thefts, and what do ya have to pay them? $40k? Who "really" pays for it? Sure ain't the store....

shoplifters ain't smart enough to figure out that it costs everyone. Or they don't care. Or both.
Sadly, I don't think the shoplifter cares about anyone but themselves. The mentality that you 'owe' them because you have made something with your life and they have not is what seems to be running the world now days.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Sadly, I don't think the shoplifter cares about anyone but themselves. The mentality that you 'owe' them because you have made something with your life and they have not is what seems to be running the world now days.
I agree, except I don't think they care about anyone owing then anything. My guess is they just see the free aspect of what they steal...Some shoplifters have done better in life than most of us, from reports I have read over the years.