Sometimes you just have to say it...

My Barn

Equipment
Kubota, Ford
Sep 14, 2022
Michigan
Not big fan either ...Unless they give me a discount for doing it!!! But I think its the next wave like self pump at gas stations.
Meijer in our state, wants cashiers to work 2-3 hours and go home. Later in the day to come back? Try getting day care in that case? Let a lone wear and tear on a vehicle. Max profits and labor takes in a** because prices aren't (adjusted) going down.
So if one wanted to steal it would be at the self check-out. Not leafing with that receipts the store?

Last edited:

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
The assumption that all retail employees are "cashiers" is mistaken and not considering the purpose of employees in the first place.

In reality, retail employees are there to help the company make money.... not solely to run a register. Historically, they ran a cash register because this was where the money changed hands. However, the very notion of cash is being questioned. Most retail customers use plastic to pay.

It is making less and less sense to have retail employees involved in the tallying of goods and use of plastic to pay for them. The customers DEMAND the lowest possible prices and one way to keep cost down is to have the CUSTOMERS do part of the work. (Do not forget that, long ago, there was a proprietor who, took the customers 'order', located each item, and brought it to the counter.... nowadays, the customers walk thru the isles to find their own products.)

The role of retail employees is evolving into identifying and reducing shrinkage. (stealing) This is why the receipts are reviewed. (not becasue you "did their job")

Even McDonalds is testing ways to serve their products WITHOUT HUMANS.

It is a brave new world.
A better discussion might be WHY governments are pushing to eliminate "cash money" and only use credit for ALL transactions. How will this affect private-sales? Will this mean all transactions be taxed?

Another good discussion is how the FORCING of minimum wage upwards is causing companies to reduce human workforce. Any idiot can see that, in the end, fewer people have jobs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

My Barn

Equipment
Kubota, Ford
Sep 14, 2022
Michigan
The assumption that all retail employees are "cashiers" is mistaken and not considering the purpose of employees in the first place.

In reality, retail employees are there to help the company make money.... not solely to run a register. Historically, they ran a cash register because this was where the money changed hands. However, the very notion of cash is being questioned. Most retail customers use plastic to pay.

It is making less and less sense to have retail employees involved in the tallying of goods and use of plastic to pay for them. The customers DEMAND the lowest possible prices and this is one way to keep cost down.

The role of retail employees is evolving into identifying and reducing shrinkage. (stealing) This is why the receipts are reviewed. (not becasue you "did their job")

Even McDonalds is testing ways to serve their products WITHOUT HUMANS.

It is a brave new world.
A better discussion might be WHY governments are pushing to eliminate "cash money" and only use credit for ALL transactions. How will this affect private-sales? Will this mean all transactions be taxed?

Another good discussion is how the FORCING of minimum wage upwards is causing companies to reduce human workforce. Any idiot can see that, in the end, fewer people have jobs.
In a study in the NW states that increased wages..." In 22 states, including Washington, DC the number of jobs increased in the occupations in the year after a minimum wage increase. These areas average 8,666 more jobs in the occupations, an average increase of 2.7% in employment".
If minimum wage growth had tracked the growth in workers' productivity since 1968, the minimum wage would be $18.42, more than double the federally mandated minimum wage. For comparison, productivity since 1973 has increased 74.4 percent, while average hourly compensation has increased just 9.2 percent.

Reactions: 1 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I had an interesting experience with the checking of receipts at Sam's club a few months ago.

There was something wrong, as although the number of self checkout item was correct, I had more of one and less of another.

End of the day, although I had to go to customer service to resolve the issue, it turned out that I somehow had scanned (or their system messed up) a more expensive item six times rather than what I actually purchased. So I gained six or seven bucks due to the checking of receipts on exit...but it cost me a few minutes at the customer service counter.

Still at the end of the day, I do not have an issue with checking receipts and what is in my cart on exit. I mean even if it worked for my advantage this first and only time so far. Usually they just scan a couple items and that is that. This particular person scanned everything, which is what they should do if they really want to limit mistakes or theft.

In my case, they could have made an extra six or seven bucks by not scanning my items. I would have never realized it...

Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
^^^^^
Anyone deserving of respect will certainly get it from me, but I don't just fling it out there right and left.
Flint…if you truly feel that way…the WHY do you show such Dis-respect for the Walmart employees who must undertake a job for which you personally have such disdain..?… They are TRULY the ones Deserving of Respect for doing a distasteful job simply to earn a wage …and doing the distasteful job you know it to be…AS REQUIRED by their employer…?

I suggest that next time…you slow down…and Cheerfully and Respectfully do him the favor of giving him the time to perform his task respectfully…and graciously…instead of behaving selfishly yourself…. (which I suspect until now you didn’t realize was how your behavior appears.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
On the same note, and something I posted elsewhere, I had an issue with an electric hot water heater I bought at home depot. I called the manufacture as it had a 12 year warranty, and they said take it back and get a new one...it was over a year old.

So I did, and the customer service person said go get a replacement, and do you need help getting it? I said probably not, but ended up calling the plumbing guy as it was on a rack I could not get it down from. He came and we loaded it on a cart, and out I went. Walked past the customer service counter but I did not see the person who took care of me.

Got home, installed the water heater, it worked fine. Then the next day I though about it. How did they know I actually got the heater? I cut the labels off the box and went back, being an honest guy I guess.

Woman who took care of me the previous day was there. I asked how they knew I got he replacement water heater. She said I gave you a cash card for the return, and you should have used it to purchase the new heater. I said I never saw a cash card. She said I gave it to you...

I said, well if you gave it to me it should be in my wallet, as that is where I put my credit card when you returned it. AND IT WAS THERE!

She said good thing you did not lose it as anyone finding it could have used it themselves for whatever they wanted.

What amazed me was I could get a guy working there to bring down a large item from the rack with a fork lift, then I could walk out of the store past the customer service counter, and get a home depot guy in the parking lot to help me load it, and go home essentially stealing an item costing over $600.

The bright side was she saved me maybe $60 on the purchase because what actually should have happened was I should have paid the difference between the old and current price.

Point is, these stores could do better at curtailing retail theft. Glad I did not know I had that cash card in my wallet. I might have been tempted... 😂

Edit: And no, the don't seem to check receipts on exit at our local HD...LOL

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Flint…if you truly feel that way…the WHY do you show such Dis-respect for the Walmart employees who must undertake a job for which you personally have such disdain..?… They are TRULY the ones Deserving of Respect for doing a distasteful job simply to earn a wage …and doing the distasteful job you know it to be…AS REQUIRED by their employer…?

I suggest that next time…you slow down…and Cheefully and Respectfully do him the favor of giving him the time to perform his task respectfully…and graciously…instead of behaving selfishly yourself…. (which I suspect until now you didn’t realize was how your behavior appears.)
First I have no 'Disrespect' for the PERSON doing the job. Not sure how many times I have to say that or how many times you are going to keep spinning it.

I don't know the person doing the job, so have no reason to respect them or not. Courtesy.....yes. I have no qualm with the person put in the unenviable position and we don't have any exchanges as it is. We are BOTH courteous about it. I go about my way, they check the NEXT person leaving. It works just fine.

The one simply sees me coming....nod's and says Thank You, the other I hand my receipt and keep walking, that one always ask if I want my receipt back, I reply No Thank You. Nothing ever comes of it. I'm dead certain other patrons walk out too. IF ever the 'checker' or Walmart have a problem with that...they are free to ban me from the store.

You've presented this person's job as "Distasteful". Presumably you agree that Walmart's policy is onerous for both the shopper and employee? Why would anyone encourage or foster that?

Now if you want me to feel 'sorry' for someone who must work for Walmart (for whatever reason) I can certainly accommodate that.

It won't change my position on Walmart's nutty policy of checking receipts for un-bagged items. As far as I know 'checkers' are not reprimanded or receiving demerits for failing to stop customers leaving with their lawfully purchased items. So where is the rub? If they don't want to do it and I don't want to do it, then lets NOT!

If you want to assign 'Disrespect' pin it on Walmart.

Lastly...I am perfectly comfortable with my behavior and I can assure you've provided me no epiphanies, but thank you for your concern.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
First I have no 'Disrespect' for the PERSON doing the job. Not sure how many times I have to say that or how many times you are going to keep spinning it.

I don't know the person doing the job, so have no reason to respect them or not. Courtesy.....yes. I have no qualm with the person put in the unenviable position and we don't have any exchanges as it is. We are BOTH courteous about it. I go about my way, they check the NEXT person leaving. It works just fine.

The one simply sees me coming....nod's and says Thank You, the other I hand my receipt and keep walking, that one always ask if I want my receipt back, I reply No Thank You. Nothing ever comes of it. I'm dead certain other patrons walk out too. IF ever the 'checker' or Walmart have a problem with that...they are free to ban me from the store.

You've presented this person's job as "Distasteful". Presumably you agree that Walmart's policy is onerous for both the shopper and employee? Why would anyone encourage or foster that?

Now if you want me to feel 'sorry' for someone who must work for Walmart (for whatever reason) I can certainly accommodate that.

It won't change my position on Walmart's nutty policy of checking receipts for un-bagged items. As far as I know 'checkers' are not reprimanded or receiving demerits for failing to stop customers leaving with their lawfully purchased items. So where is the rub? If they don't want to do it and I don't want to do it, then lets NOT!

If you want to assign 'Disrespect' pin it on Walmart.

Lastly...I am perfectly comfortable with my behavior and I can assure you've provided me no epiphanies, but thank you for your concern.
It (your description) just struck me as being “dismissive” of the person. That didn’t seem respectful…but it may just be the way some internet conversations come across…

However, the “distasteful” comment was what you seemed to imply as descriptive of the job and why I used the word as representing your viewpoint…. doesn’t matter.

What matters is you take your actions against the little employee…..instead of doing what a man SHOULD do in your position…. take it up with the management. Directly.
Next time, plan to greet the employee and ask to be taken to the manager…where you can directly address your dissatisfaction.

I‘ll bet I already know your response to this idea.

Last edited:

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
It (your description) just struck me as being “dismissive” of the person. That didn’t seem respectful…but it may just be the way some internet conversations come across…
No....I always acknowledge them, speak if spoken to, smile. The checker always gets my receipt (if am asked for it) they just don't get to check all my items. Rarely do I have anything other than Deer Corn or Paper Towels (items that can not be bagged). Easy for them to see and of course the 'reason' they want to 'check' me. It's right there on the receipt...so they have what they want. Just not ME waiting for that to happen.

Before leaving the self check station, I circle (in pen) the un-bagged items making it easy for them to find it on the ticket. Also the Date of purchase....so they don't think I am holding an old receipt.

They just don't get to detain me. The one (male checker) figured out a long time ago that I am not a thief and doesn't waste my time or his. He nods in recognition 'waves' me through and always says Thank You, I am equally cordial. The (female) new to the store is also friendly....and in turn I am to her. But she either doesn't have as good a memory (for faces) as the male checker or is more dedicated, I'll let you decide.

There are no altercations going on....or belittling of anyone. I am just holding to my sincerely held (and lawful) belief and principle. Others are free to comply as they see fit. You know..... 'go along to get along' respective of whats 'going on'.

I can record the next one if you like. But its all quite uneventful.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Actually they’ve probably already got it on camera. Their activity is not to actually check YOU…but to let everyone ELSE know they have a liklihood of being checked (I made mention of this in an earlier post.)

I was at TSC the other day and went out to the yard to see if they had a 6” augur for my PHD. (I posted about my little stop signs in another thread.)

I couldn’t find any augur bits at all…so asked an employee who took me out to the very far back of the yard and showed me some still strapped-down on a pallet. The employee told me to go tell the cashier what I wanted and pay for it…then drive my truck back to the rear of the store and show the receipt and they’d load it up for me. I thanked him.

I picked up a bag of bird-seed, a gallon of WD40, and some other things…. and thought about the price of that augur and how I could probably just use the larger one I already own….and checked out without mentioning it to the cashier.
I walked out to my truck and was throwing the bag of bird-seed in the bed when a fork-lift came powering up behind me…and the employee got off and picked up a 6” augur bit and put it in the bed of the truck…and told me he thought he’d just save me the trouble of having to drive around-back…wished me a good evening. 🤨

I could have simply driven-away.

Checking my receipt doesn’t bother me if it keeps everyone honorable. (and sometimes even ordinary people need to have temptation removed.)

Last edited:

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Actually they’ve probably already got it on camera. Their activity is not to actually check YOU…but to let everyone ELSE know they have a liklihood of being checked (I made mention of this in an earlier post.)
^^^^^^

This is exactly right. A point I made in the discussion had on another forum (I linked).

The purpose is to create an apprehension to 'would be' thieves that they might be asked for a receipt.

The un-bagged items thing is two fold.

1. It gets Walmart off the hook with respect to profiling (they can apply the 'check' to whom they wish without making appearances)....because historical recordings will show they check everyone (sometimes) right?

2. It allows them to request a receipt when someone goes tooling out with a big screen TV in their cart (something of real value), though the person can not be legally detained without benefit of probable cause (under Shopkeepers Privilege Law). You never know...they might just 'fess up'.

No matter how ineffective the policy likely is, it is undeniably Walmart's privilege to implement it, I will never argue that.

Bottom line is that ANY retailer/business should not have to take the measures they do to prevent theft loses. If people were just more honest and had personal integrity.

But we can't legislate morality....it must be taught. Apparently it isn't being taught 'enough'. Secularism is sure as hell being taught though. Gee....I wonder where that will take us.

I'll stop now, no one is getting paid to read my admonishments. And I am far from perfect myself.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Bottom line is that ANY retailer/business should not have to take the measures they do to prevent theft loses. If people were just more honest and had personal integrity.
And that is, of course, the problem. Human nature being what it is…..(take advantage of any possibility to advance ones-self… )…. If the smorgasbord is offered…why not take what one desires..?….
There’s Nothing Wrong with a retailer demanding Proof-of-payment before releasing the goods…. it’s done at every real-estate transaction… Indeed, at any other form of trade at-all.

Your feelings of insult are uncalled-for…IMO.

Drifthopper

Equipment
2000 L3710 HST w/ Woods 1012 FEL. LandPride FDR2572, 60" Brush Hog: Need 60" BB
Apr 22, 2022
Western New York
Lots of good discussion here.

Here's mine with Wal mart and checking receipts.....

Couple weeks ago, i stopped in at the local Wal Mart, needed a quart of oil, and one or two other items.

I did the self-checkout, cuz it was no waiting and faster.

I scan my items, throw em in a bag, swipe my card, grab the receipt...... and head for the door.

The middle eastern receipt checker guy stops me, i grab the crinkled up receipt out of my pocket and hand it to him.

He takes it, runs his finger down, nods his head, hands it back to me, i walk out.

He looked at the back of it...!!!

He never even turned it around..... He didn't know what he was doing.

So why even bother having him there.

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
I hate self checkout, and will not use it. Every time someone uses self checkout, another American loses their job.

Back eons ago when I worked retail, we prosecuted shoplifters & purse snatchers to the fullest extent of the law. The company I worked for even gave me a bonus for chasing down & subduing purse snatchers on two different occasions, and stopping an attempted robbery at the bank branch in the store.
I went to court as a witness for the company on 5 separate occasions.

Now, the local CVS tells us that a guy comes in once or twice a week, (for almost two years!) takes one or two qt bottles of beer, some snacks, and walks out saying "Touch me & I'll sue".
The cops aren't interested, especially with their 45min to 1 hr response time.
So all of us get to buy this POS his beer & snacks.
CVS will not allow employees to interfere.
If it were up to me, the guy would get one chance to put the stuff back & never return, or get a 230gr solution to the problem.

The wife & her 89yr old mother almost got knocked down at the local Big Lots by a POS woman running out of the store with a basket full of DVDs. (store figured about 80)
She jumped into a waiting car and was gone.
Employees told us either her or guy the driving the car come in about every two weeks and steal something, and they hit all the local Big Lots stores one after the other.
Big Lots will not allow employees to interfere.
They have stopped calling the cops all together.
And all of us get to pay for their crimes.
Again, 230gr will stop that S&@$. Maybe two in this case.

I better stop here, I might say something political next. :mad:🤬
So murder is the answer to petty theft? If the store doesn't want to do anything about it, what's it to you? Corporate will write off the loss as shrink and move on, no need to get worked up about some beer and snacks ffs. 😂

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
He did know what he was doing 😉

and his ethnicity has nothing to do with it…
He clearly couldn't handle a minority checking his receipt, or having employment...read between the lines 😂

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Lots of good discussion here.

Here's mine with Wal mart and checking receipts.....

Couple weeks ago, i stopped in at the local Wal Mart, needed a quart of oil, and one or two other items.

I did the self-checkout, cuz it was no waiting and faster.

I scan my items, throw em in a bag, swipe my card, grab the receipt...... and head for the door.

The middle eastern receipt checker guy stops me, i grab the crinkled up receipt out of my pocket and hand it to him.

He takes it, runs his finger down, nods his head, hands it back to me, i walk out.

He looked at the back of it...!!!

He never even turned it around..... He didn't know what he was doing.

So why even bother having him there.
They call it 'diversity'. It isn't merit or qualification based.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
They call it 'diversity'. It isn't merit or qualification based.
There should be NO REQUIREMENTS as to anything at all to meet common courtesy amongst human beings….or haven’t you READ the New Testament…?

• Love
Reactions: 2 users