Do you like winter?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
I like when it’s a good snow and not ice/wet heavy. The excessive salt is no bonus around me, rusts everything to hell. Soccer mom has to get to Starbucks, I get it. Im prepared for it so it does not bother me overall.

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
I gave my commuter car to the grand kid (lives with us). For the first time in years I switched out the all season tires for top of the line snows. I figure she needs all the help she can get for her first winter driving.
Talking about down shifting an automatic on the long steep down hills and turning off the traction control to get up the driveway got that I know it all look. I got the tow chains ready just in case.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Why would you turn off the traction control? That is the one thing that kept my rear-wheel drive Mercedes moving forward in a blizzard. I was able to drive around cars that were stuck in the snow and moved up a long gradual grade to the top where I was stopped by the State Police. He couldn't believe that I was able to navigate around all those cars. He moved his car out of the way and I continued home. That was before cell phones and my wife was wondering where I was. Once home, I started the Kubota and plowed our driveway up to the main road. I did have 400 pounds of sandbags in the trunk and studded snow tires. It was a 1987 350 SDL diesel that drove like a 4-wheel drive Jeep.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Why would you turn off the traction control? That is the one thing that kept my rear-wheel drive Mercedes moving forward in a blizzard.
I can’t speak for bikermike1, but my 4WD pickup is almost useless with traction control engaged when trying to smash into and up my driveway.

TC pulls all the power and torque away from the wheels when you really need to “Ram It..”.

When I got the first one with TC, the salesman told me on delivery “if you’re getting into something nasty, you probably want to turn that off……”

After forgetting that on a few occasions, I knew why he said that. Useless feature on a 4WD vehicle if you know how to drive in crappy conditions IMO.

Understand these are severe conditions with a foot or more of snow, snow banks, etc.

Reactions: 2 users

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Traction control cuts power to the drive wheels similar to slipping a clutch. I've had to shut it off in my service truck when climbing a steep hill in loose gravel. Truck would just stall out partway up the hill and refuse to go any further.

Shutting the traction control off allows me to burn my way up and over the top.

Biker1mike

Equipment
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
So sorry I was not clearer on our TCS. My driveway is off a two lane 60 mph road. You have about one and a half car lengths before you hit a steep but not too long incline. A combination of packed snow, ice, and gravel. To get up you have to make a wide turn and get as close to straight as you can and then nail it. At this point inertia is your best friend. TSC has a tendency to slow you down which in this circumstance is a bad thing. Once you are near the crest of the hill there is plenty of room to adjust and let the tires regain traction.
The driveway is on a blind corner and the last thing you want to do is back out in the snow, cross one or two lanes and try a straight shot.
It the past 20 some years the daughters would get stuck , park the car and come get me to either drive it up or get out the tractor and tow chains as the are now sideways.

On the other hand , yes , I love traction control. I do miss doing dounts with my old truck in the high school parking lot.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
So sorry I was not clearer on our TCS. My driveway is off a two lane 60 mph road. You have about one and a half car lengths before you hit a steep but not too long incline. A combination of packed snow, ice, and gravel. To get up you have to make a wide turn and get as close to straight as you can and then nail it. At this point inertia is your best friend. TSC has a tendency to slow you down which in this circumstance is a bad thing. Once you are near the crest of the hill there is plenty of room to adjust and let the tires regain traction.
The driveway is on a blind corner and the last thing you want to do is back out in the snow, cross one or two lanes and try a straight shot.
It the past 20 some years the daughters would get stuck , park the car and come get me to either drive it up or get out the tractor and tow chains as the are now sideways.

On the other hand , yes , I love traction control. I do miss doing dounts with my old truck in the high school parking lot.
Grandparents had a driveway that was 1/2 mile straight up to there home. With a 4 way stop at the bottom of the hill. In the winter during a storm, you had to get a running start to make it up. This meant running the stopping at the bottom of the hill. 🤣😅😅🤣

rcsracing

Equipment
LX3310, brush hog, box blade, pallet forks, front blade
Jan 22, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
My LX was delivered about a month ago, minus the 3rd function valve (unknown back order date). So the dealer is holding the front QA blade w/ hydraulic angle. I think we're going to settle on delivering the blade in manual config this week, and send the tractor back in the spring for the 3rd function install.

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
There's no option for not liking the snow, but not about to move out of it?

I used to be big into snowboarding. Alpine boarding, really, was what got me going. Haven't been on a snowboard in more than 10 years, though. So, now, the snow is just a pain in the butt. The kids are getting old enough, I should probably get them out on the hills and then I'll be able to get out there and stuff. But they're not real adventurous, it'd be tough going for a long while. I don't know if I have the fortitude.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Only thing I like about winter is if it gets cold enough long enough it keeps things like fire ants, killer bees, pythons, and alligators east and south of us. One ground covering snow a year is pretty. Past that I could do without it.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
We've had snow on the ground for the past couple of weeks. I'm not a fan of ice, but I'm ok with snow. I have a good setup for moving it off 400 yards of driveway, and I enjoy it, particularly when it's the dry, powdery type that runs through the snow blower well. Any excuse to be in a tractor works for me.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Only thing I like about winter is if it gets cold enough long enough it keeps things like fire ants, killer bees, pythons, and alligators east and south of us. One ground covering snow a year is pretty. Past that I could do without it.
We had our first snow at my place today. The mountains have been snow covered for a month now. Pythons and alligators? 😵💫 oh my! I guess that I should be thankful that we just have small prairie rattlers, coyotes, badgers, and bobcats in my area.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Going up in the morning to put the blade back on of one my clubs old Snowcat's. Looking at over 6" by Saturday..... Pic's to follow, I hope!

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
It’s funny…I love the snow. Not many people at the parks and we like hiking and snowshoeing. My second property is in the snow belt. Lot of people I work with don’t get that or that I hunt and fish and enjoy splitting wood. It’s ok I don’t understand their cross fit and paying money to flip a tractor tire. If they think that’s fun they should fill tire first. Snow keeps the townies at home for the most part…so I don’t mind shoveling when that happens. I just hope the fear mongers on the news don’t start naming snow fluries like they are starting too with other storms.

Biker1mike

Equipment
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
The most dangerous thing to avoid in my area is a BMW with a Manhatten dealer name and a ski rack heading north on the parkway !

• Haha