What nobody mentions about a BX

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: except for that annoying soot on the loader arm....

I just consider that to be a sign I'm actually USING my tractor !

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
re: except for that annoying soot on the loader arm....

I just consider that to be a sign I'm actually USING my tractor !
Mine is waiting for the snow to start falling out of the sky. It is a very expensive snowblower and summer yard ornament.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Does anyone besides me use Diesel Klean ?? I use 3 oz. per 5 gallons. Double the recommended amount but it also increases the cetane amount so I assume more power. Just asking.
I use diesel kleen and it does improve performance but I don't notice any increase in power. What I do notice is easier startups, a smoother running engine, and less soot. I use the diesel kleen silver in the summer and white in the winter. I use 1 ounce per every 3 gallons of diesel.

Reactions: 1 user

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
I read a lot and watched a ton of videos before i bought my BX. As a result i was pretty well prepared. But there is one thing I have discocered that nobody mentions. How come nobody talks about the intense diesel particulates that these things give off. I have had a sore throat from the day i got this thing. Lately i wear an N95 mask while working, which helps somewhat. But why doesnt anybody talk about this?
Perhaps you're using an inferior lubricant in your crankcase? Tell us what you have in there.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

charleyTX

Equipment
BX23S
Aug 29, 2022
Austin TX
Howdy form Texas,
First time posting here and new owner of BX23s.
There are all kinds of reports out there of how harmful diesel particulate matter is. The tractor's diesel engine will make the black carbon/sot regardless of method of filtration. Diesel particulate filter will capture it and later tries to incinerate it into much smaller particles by pumping more diesel fuel to heat up the filter material. The sot is still there but now much smaller particles. Yes we are inhaling it both ways. Some say the smaller particles are better others disagree stating the smaller particles can find their way into deeper lung tissues. I spent many years as a diesel mechanic, and owned the infamous Volkswagen TDIs, 3-4 of it, also have a chevy duramax truck. Each have its own nasty diesel exhaust spewing issues. I have inhaled a pretty good dose of diesel exhaust in my life time.
PS: pretty much all reports agree that the black carbon/sot is carcinogenic and cancer causing.

Last edited:
  • Dislike

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
This is beginning to sound like a rant against diesel engines.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
LOL...sure is! Sniffing those fumes will hurt you. On the other hand, diesel is great for making that thing we call torque and keep turning that hydraulic pumps.
Sniffing other things can hurt one more. Not something I do…I’ll stick with diesel fumes, which I don’t seem to smell anyway. LOL but true.

Poor nose I guess. :)

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
If y’all don’t like the smell just switch to used cooking oil and it’ll smell like French fries 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Trustable

Equipment
l2501HST
Jul 5, 2022
Michigan
If y’all don’t like the smell just switch to used cooking oil and it’ll smell like French fries 😂
That tractor will end up having 10 hours after a few years at most, everytime you start it up, you get hungry and go eat!

• Haha

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Drinking water leads to death. Everyone that has ever drank water has died or will die sometime in the future. I will continue to enjoy my water and diesel fumes, until the day that I die, and then I will come back to haunt those evil people that warn us about living every day!

Reactions: 3 users

Ton

Equipment
BX2380
Aug 26, 2022
MD
I'm way more concerned about breathing in dirt dust and weed/grass dust when mowing and tilling all day, than I am about a tiny bit of diesel exhaust. And I won't even mention spraying herbicides.

Some folks have interesting priorities...

Reactions: 2 users

RBsingl

Equipment
Kubota F 2690 72" rear discharge deck, Deere 955
Jul 1, 2022
Central IL
Diesel particulate is a concern when you are in an environment where you are constantly exposed to a high level of it, think traffic cop directing traffic in a big city environment surrounded by pre-DPF transit buses. In a typical open air tractor setting, exposure level is extremely low. Some people are very sensitive to certain irritants, I had a colleague who would get migraines from perfume scent that the average person wouldn't even notice. So if you are particularly sensitive, then a DPF is in order as is avoiding other particulate sources. Note that when a DPF goes into regen, it is incinerating the particulates captured within its honeycomb matrix and the output isn't good to inhale. It isn't a problem in over the road equipment but with a tractor you are more likely to inhale it.

Not everything in a DPF will be removed via incineration, correct oil and some of the better high performance fuels reduce the buildup of permanent particles which ultimately result in a failed DPF. A DPF has an operating limit at which point the larger ones can be removed and cleaned but it isn't cost practical for smaller units which are discarded and they are considered hazardous waste at that point. The matrix structure inside the DPF can also crack from either excessive heat or too rapid temperature change, most engine controllers will recognize and declare a fault over this either from too little pressure drop across the DPF sensors or from an excessively long operating time before the sensors indicate a need for active regen to occur. Otherwise, the presence of soot in the exhaust system is an indicator that the DPF is failing.

I have never noticed any issues with particulates over all the years of operating my Deere 955 compact util. It has a naturally aspirated 33 horse 3 cylinder Yanmar with the exhaust exiting low out the side of the engine compartment.

I find the aroma from my 2018 DPF/DEF equipped GMC Sierra diesel pickup to be distasteful. The selective catalyst that converts NoX via DEF (ammonia) injection produces an exhaust that has a scent somewhat like that used to scent propane and is noticeable with the rear cab window open at a stop when the wind is blowing back towards the pickup.

Breathing diesel particulates isn't good but direct injection gas engines also produce a very high amount of particulate matter so it isn't just diesels. As to health effects, such consumer delights as highly processed meat products, sugar laden foods, and general lack of exercise are much bigger drivers of public health than what a typical owner will experience from particulate matter unless you are in the habit of sitting in an enclosed space with your tractor running.

Rodger

dieselbob69

Equipment
Kubota BX2380 (previously a BX1870 and GR2100)...
Jan 2, 2022
WNY
Both the BX's I've owned( first a BX1870, now a BX2380) have always puffed black smoke on startup. They both coat the loader frame in black soot. Don't really see any smoke while operating, unless I bog it down some when using the loader. My '15 VW Golf diesel that uses DEF-93k miles and have never seen black soot on the inside of tailpipe. Can't say the same for gasser vehicle tailpipes:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:...

Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Tier 1 gas has a specific additive package, pretty much identical to Techron, that is added to the fuel to provide additional cleaning.

Premium diesel is just marketing at its finest, there really is no definition. Some of the refiners have come out with a formulation package that slightly increases the miles/operating hours between DPF regeneration and thus can slightly decrease overall fuel consumption.

Fun info: gasoline is graded at retail by octane rating which is its ability to resist explosion when ignited under pressure while diesel is rated in cetane with higher numbers indicating its ability to combust more quickly and higher speed diesel engines benefit somewhat from higher cetane ratings BUT unlike gasoline, premium diesel has no specific definition that it has a higher cetane rating than non-premium diesel. In the diesel market, a fuel station can refer to diesel as premium simply because they have found that their customers are happier paying a premium price for diesel which of course also makes them happier.

I much prefer the smell of non-DPF treated diesel to the smell of a catalytic converter gas engine operating under load (i.e. following a baby size fake SUV towing far too large a trailer up a grade). I have owned my Deere 955 since 1995 and have never been bother by particulates, its exhaust pipe exits near the bottom of the engine compartment and that seems to keep any fumes and particulate away from the operator. My 2018 GMC is my first DPF equipped diesel, unlike its predecessors it still has a pristine looking exhaust pipe. The DPF does an excellent job of capturing particulate matter because that is its sole purpose; diesel particulate matter came under regulation because it is defined as a carcinogen (even outside of California where everything causes cancer :) )

Gas engines also create particulate matter, particularly direct injection types. All three of my cars have GDI engines and all produce far more noticeable particulate buildup than previous port injected engine cars. This is my Corvette Z06 in the video with about 200 miles on it since the last time I cleaned the particulate specs off the exhaust, it is particularly noticeable in the outer pipes which is where the majority of the flow occurs with its dual mode exhaust set to either the sport or track position. https://rodgersingley.smugmug.com/Corvette-idle/n-WBG75x/i-f2bgnmj/A

Rodger
According to Kenworth… hype has value: (surprised at this website statements) https://www.papekenworth.com/blog/diesel-1-vs-diesel-2-is-premium-worth-it