What nobody mentions about a BX

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
I like the smell of a non-DPF equipped diesel. Not for hours on end, but I like to catch some whiffs of it.

I love the smell of diesel in the morning! It smells of.... motor pool.

Takes me back to my mech infantry days. 🤪

Reactions: 3 users

RBsingl

Equipment
Kubota F 2690 72" rear discharge deck, Deere 955
Jul 1, 2022
Central IL
Rodger, that Vette sounds very good. Must be an automatic though, with the remote start. (Can't say I blame you, the autos are now faster than the manuals). My 2020 Mustang has direct and port fuel injection, as well as active exhaust. It has four outlets, two are open all the time, and two are baffled by what looks like a throttle body on each side that opens and closes based on the setting you select as well as engine RPM. Your exhaust buildup is pretty light. GDI + turbo is the worst in my opinion for exhaust buildup. Fear not, however! The Eco-Warriors have already found a solution. The Gas Particulate Filter (GPF) is already a thing in Europe for GDI vehicles, and I believe a couple of higher-end Euro cars have made it to this country with a GPF (Mercedes S-Class, Porsche 911).

Anyway, back to tractors and fuel. The US requires highway diesel to have a minimum cetane rating of 40. Here in the northeast, I've never seen any pump marked higher than that. Of course you can buy the cetane booster which some people religiously do. On the Kubotas without a DPF, the best thing you can do to prevent particulate matter is run at an appropriately high RPM. Too low an RPM combined with load on the tractor = more unburnt fuel.
Troverman,

A lot of the EU cars in their native country have been hit with the particulate filter, the Europeans were looking at it even before DPF was mandated for diesel engines. Fortunately it hasn't caught on here yet...

The Z06 is automatic, I thought a lot about which to order but bottom line is the electronically shifted automatic can out-shift anyone. The exhaust on your Mustang sounds very much like what GM uses, it is standard on some models like my Z06 and optional as "NPP" on others. Image is below.

The buildup on those outer pipes has been far worse between cleanings! The belt driven supercharged engine may not be as bad as a turbo driven in terms of particulate matter but it does create a lot.

Rodger
NPP system.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I read a lot and watched a ton of videos before i bought my BX. As a result i was pretty well prepared. But there is one thing I have discocered that nobody mentions. How come nobody talks about the intense diesel particulates that these things give off. I have had a sore throat from the day i got this thing. Lately i wear an N95 mask while working, which helps somewhat. But why doesnt anybody talk about this?
My kids used to complain my aftershave was diesel oil and grease helped keep my hands soft.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Here's a description of the diesel up here and when it's available.

diesel_mt.jpg

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
So, #1 and #2, a blend, and you have have it with red dye or not.

No "premium".
#1 to -40F is our "premium". What's the CFPP for the "premium" you have?

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
#1 to -40F is our "premium". What's the CFPP for the "premium" you have?

I'm not the one who mentioned "premium" diesel fuel. I'm the one who is trying to find out what this mystery substance is, and what it actually does.

I note that the sign shown there does not use the word, "premium". It's just #1 and #2, with or without red dye. Nothing new or special about that. Standard stuff for decades.

Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I'm not the one who mentioned "premium" diesel fuel. I'm the one who is trying to find out what this mystery substance is, and what it actually does.

I note that the sign shown there does not use the word, "premium". It's just #1 and #2, with or without red dye. Nothing new or special about that. Standard stuff for decades.
I have no dog in this race. I don't buy #1 ever! :ROFLMAO: I buy red for the tractors and generator and #2 for the truck.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I had a JD CUT, 2000 model year tractor for 20+ years. It always snaked since the day I bought it, and I would get sinus headaches after operating the machine for awhile. I even had to use a mask while rotary cutting because the fumes bothered me so much. Last year I sold that tractor and bought a new MX with dpf. Now I don’t smell anything or have an issues operating the tractor. I love the tier 4 tractors.

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
I had a JD CUT, 2000 model year tractor for 20+ years. It always snaked since the day I bought it, and I would get sinus headaches after operating the machine for awhile. I even had to use a mask while rotary cutting because the fumes bothered me so much. Last year I sold that tractor and bought a new MX with dpf. Now I don’t smell anything or have an issues operating the tractor. I love the tier 4 tractors.
Snaked?🐍

Do you mean SMOKED?♨

Reactions: 1 users

RBsingl

Equipment
Kubota F 2690 72" rear discharge deck, Deere 955
Jul 1, 2022
Central IL
Here are a couple of examples of what refiner brands sometimes market as "premium diesel":

and

Both have additive packages to be a little more DPF friendly somewhat increasing the interval between active regen events thus improving fuel economy. I just flew home from Portland OR last night (getting my daughter started as a freshman at the University of Portland) and I saw a station advertising the Exxon branded fuel as premium diesel.

Additive packages are critical in avoiding excessive particulate matter leading to more frequent DPF regens. I recall when DPF diesel engines first appeared in the light pickup market, one testing firm found that quite a few of the retail additive/treatment bottles led to more frequent regeneration but I believe most were reformulated to decrease that issue.

But be careful what you mix with your diesel. I recall that the once common practice of adding a little ATF to the diesel tank greatly increased DPF loading. And with the DPF, you have two major classes of particulate material: those that will be incinerated/converted during regen and those that are permanent particles that aren't cleaned during regeneration. This permanent buildup is what leads to increasing regen frequency and ultimately a degraded and unusable DPF. So don't add stuff that isn't properly formulated for a DPF/SCR equipped Tier IV diesel.

Rodger

Reactions: 2 users

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
5C5892DE-6277-47D9-AC2C-E1850CE70A11.jpeg

B8087762-65AB-4C12-8A9A-5CB10DC08C41.jpeg

5F74C9A3-AF13-48DF-B87F-C1375817B03E.jpeg

These pictures are from one of our local fuel stations and illustrate the three types of diesel fuel they sell.

Ironically, there is no detailed information posted as to the difference in quality or price (aside from one being labeled red-dye, off road).

Mike

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
More reading about water and diesel fuel and how it becomes contaminated.

Interesting! Reading this info I was wondering about my 5-6 gallon jug I had since late last fall. I think it's a winter blend and I just put it in. I had been using my special funnel that collects water & particles of whatever but I wanted to try out my new tea filter, probably still could have.. should have!😏

I do remember reading about diesel fuel sitting for long periods of time in another thread and it seems I should be fine with it. 🤞

Bri-Guy-GA

Equipment
Kubota BX1880
Sep 10, 2020
Villa Rica, GA
Interesting! Reading this info I was wondering about my 5-6 gallon jug I had since late last fall. I think it's a winter blend and I just put it in. I had been using my special funnel that collects water & particles of whatever but I wanted to try out my new tea filter, probably still could have.. should have!😏

I do remember reading about diesel fuel sitting for long periods of time in another thread and it seems I should be fine with it. 🤞
OK, can you tell me more about this special funnel? I would like to get one.

Dave Ogren

Equipment
BX23S w/FEL &BH &60" Mowing Deck, 48" Dirty Dog Box Blade, 48" Tar River Tiller,
Feb 16, 2022
Asheville, N. C.
Does anyone besides me use Diesel Klean ?? I use 3 oz. per 5 gallons. Double the recommended amount but it also increases the cetane amount so I assume more power. Just asking.

minthral

Equipment
Kubota L47
Nov 22, 2021
NC
I think the 'under 25 HP club' is too busy trying to justify how they love having no DPF and don't have time to mention the fumes. Likewise, everyone with DPF isn't complaining because there are no fumes.

You can add a diffuser or suppressor to the exhaust. This will reduce fumes and sound. Larger tractors have them, but BX doesn't because 'it's small and cheap' or 'not expecting users to care.'

Last, like already mentioned, fuel quality and the RPMs you run your tractor at matter. In my area all diesel is basically the same...not sure about yours. On BX, you basically want to always run wide open/ full throttle.

Breathing in diesel particulates is no joke. It WILL eventually damage your lungs. Nothing cool or nice about that after you see people in healthcare with lung conditions.

Reactions: 1 user

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
I think the 'under 25 HP club' is too busy trying to justify how they love having no DPF and don't have time to mention the fumes.

Or maybe we don't notice because it's no big deal.

Well, except for that annoying soot on the loader arm....

Reactions: 4 users