Glyphosate may not be so safe after all :(

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
WASHINGTON (AP) — A federal appeals court on Friday rejected a Trump administration finding that the active ingredient in the weed killer Roundup does not pose a serious health risk and is “not likely” to cause cancer in humans.

The California-based 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ordered the Environmental Protection Agency to reexamine its 2020 finding that glyphosate did not pose a health risk for people exposed to it by any means — on farms, yards or roadsides or as residue left on food crops.

Glyphosate is the active ingredient in Roundup, the most widely used herbicide in the world. Pharmaceutical giant Bayer, which acquired the herbicide’s original producer Monsanto in 2018, is facing thousands of claims from people who say Roundup exposure caused their cancer.

Roundup will remain available for sale. According to an agency spokesman, EPA officials are reviewing the 54-page ruling “and will decide next steps.″ The Supreme Court is also considering whether to hear an appeal from Bayer that could shut down thousands of lawsuits on the cancer claims.

Writing for a unanimous three-judge panel, Judge Michelle Friedland said EPA’s finding of no risk to human health “was not supported by substantial evidence.″ She also ruled that EPA fell short of its obligations under the Endangered Species Act by inadequately examining glyphosate’s impact on animal species and vegetation.

Another example where politics trumped science?

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Some logical precaution must be observed when spraying anything. I avoid smelling/breathing insecticides, paint, solvents, lubricants, etc.

Why does it not surprise me that this is a 9th court ruling?

Reactions: 7 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
There is straight Kentucky bourbon, water, and black coffee…anything else is generally a chemical or poison in my warped sense of reality. Some say bourbon not the answer, I say neither is milk and water. 🥃

Anything ending with the suffix we came to learn in Chemistry (-ate, -ide, -ite, etc) it’s best not to inhale or ingest. If in any sort or aerosol form, same thing. Paper masks do not help with aerosol/airborn contaminants. Plan accordingly if the wind is blowing.

Reactions: 1 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Some logical precaution must be observed when spraying anything. I avoid smelling/breathing insecticides, paint, solvents, lubricants, etc.

Why does it not surprise me that this is a 9th court ruling?
Right there (in red) if the first thing I noticed. Nearly everything Calif. lets through is labeled dangerous to life, even the wall clock!

Reactions: 5 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I’m not planning to breathe glyphosate or get it on my skin. However, the 9th Circuit is a discredit to the Federal court system. From a percentage standpoint their reversals aren’t way out of line. From a raw quantity standpoint, they’re a mockery of the law. There are means to change laws. Judges making it up isn’t one of them. SCOTUS has notified 9th Circuit but their erroneous decisions indicate they don’t care. The below is from 2007 to 2021 so it spans multiple administrations; not a Trump/Obama/Biden thing.
5FC4476F-18C6-403A-9079-C5BBB97F63A8.png

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
There is straight Kentucky bourbon, water, and black coffee…anything else is generally a chemical or poison in my warped sense of reality. Some say bourbon not the answer, I say neither is milk and water. 🥃

Anything ending with the suffix we came to learn in Chemistry (-ate, -ide, -ite, etc) it’s best not to inhale or ingest. If in any sort or aerosol form, same thing. Paper masks do not help with aerosol/airborn contaminants. Plan accordingly if the wind is blowing.
I like the way you think. But while I am partial to Kentucky bourbon, some Irish whiskeys are also good.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Most of the people 'affected' are farmers (no offense, it is a risk of the job), that make and spray 500 gallons in a day and no doubt, have to drive down wind and inhale vapors for hours.
Like the Baby powder suit where women were stuffing themselves with handfuls of the stuff. Or ignoring that coffee is hot. Life is full of risks that people take. I drive on public roads all the time.

• Haha

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
You can trust the government when they say it is safe.

orange.jpg

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Life is a miracle even after we are born. While on military bases most every evening the truck came through the neighbor hood spraying DDT. Children followed it like it was the ice cream truck!

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
Like the Baby powder suit where women were stuffing themselves with handfuls of the stuff. Or ignoring that coffee is hot.
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

For as long as I may live I will now have an image in my hade where beautiful wimmenz are surrounding a 1000lb pile of talcum and grabbing fistful after fistful with glee.

• Haha

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
Right there (in red) if the first thing I noticed. Nearly everything Calif. lets through is labeled dangerous to life, even the wall clock!

in canada we have warning labels on imported products that say "this product is known in the state of california to possibly cause cancer" or something along those lines.

in california EVERYTHING causes cancer...

Reactions: 3 users

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
in canada we have warning labels on imported products that say "this product is known in the state of california to possibly cause cancer" or something along those lines.

in california EVERYTHING causes cancer...
If you don't want to catch cancer, the answer is to avoid California like the plague.

Reactions: 3 users

Borane4

Equipment
M4-071
Dec 16, 2020
Texas
You can argue that "politics trumped science", but if it's the most used herbicide in the world, and it has been studied for decades, why is California the only circuit to order EPA to go back and re-evaluate....again? It might be fair question to if politics from their court is trumping a mountain of science...

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I think if my wife was still alive, she would argue with you about it causing cancer