What if there were no swear words

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Came to me today while I once again clearing my lot. Way too hot, humid and dry to burn so I've been chunking it up lately and taking it to the dump. After coming from a property which was one mile back in the woods and much farther then that to the nearest neighbor I never worried about it however now even though the neighbors aren't real close sometimes I forget like this afternoon. Black flies were terrible to start with especially when I turned off the saw to either fuel it or sharpen the chain but the last time I had to tighten the new chain I touched the hot muffler by mistake and pretty sure I made up some new words without thinking which if you think about it in some way it seems to lessen the pain if only for a little while and at that point it's f@#k the neighbors. So what would we do if there were no swear words to ease our pain?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
You could just do like our church organist when I was a kid. He would sing Jesus loves me to ease the pain. This was after my dad managed to slam his fingers in the pickup tailgate.

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
If you burned your hand a few more times I'm sure you'd come up with something.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Samuel L Jackson would have nothing to say

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
So what would we do if there were no swear words to ease our pain?
I'd be silent. Been there, done that.

Geez...it would also take away about 5-10% of my normal speech. I've gotten more "salty" as I've gotten older.

Home, work, social; I swear a lot. Not F-words. More low-level, if there is such a thing.

Blame it on My Mother....well, years in the restaurant business didn't help either....

I'm a bad, bad boy.....my girlfriend liked bad boys 40 years ago. She was such a nice girl.

Been married 33 now. Sometimes she's more salty than I am.... 😳

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
Thank goodness for swear words, the way the world is going we can't say most normal words without offening someone somewhere!

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
A properly placed swear word is like properly placed paint on a canvas. Transformative , elevating and usually more impactful if used sparingly. 40 years ago in college I had a friend that often used the expression "F***n A" that has clung to my soul. I have rarely heard it since but occasionally utter it beneath my breath with much pleasure. A colloquialism perhaps. Repeat it 3 times and its yours for life. Enjoy!

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I've noticed a lot of the younger crowd can't get one sentence out of their mouth without at least one cuss word.

I used to date a girl that was the same way. I ain't no angel by any stretch, but that lady could pass for a drunken sailor if one didn't know any better.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I had a neighbor couple who were in their early 20's. One day while helping the husband work on his truck, she was setting cross legged on the garage floor playing with their two year old. That gal could rattle off sentences that were nearly all profanity.

I finally turned to her and asked her if she realized how her daughter was being trained? When that girl went to kindergarten the teacher was going to hear words out of her mouth she'd never heard before!

That woman was so nasty I quit going over to help her husband with anything, and thankfully they moved! Some people thrive in that garbage.

Reactions: 2 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
My mom is long gone now, but was a bit of a character.

I remember her telling me once, she made sure nobody was home, went in the the basement stairs, closed the door, and said the F word out loud, just to experience it once in her lifetime!

:LOL:

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I didn't hear an eff bomb until the 7th grade, nowadays the kids in my wife's Young 5's class use the word routinely. Just more evidence of societies downward spiral into depravity. No sense of decency or manners anymore.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I didn't hear an eff bomb until the 7th grade, nowadays the kids in my wife's Young 5's class use the word routinely. Just more evidence of societies downward spiral into depravity. No sense of decency or manners anymore.
I think every language has words that are considered negative for some reason. I wonder why that is.

My only experience is with English and Japanese. Native speaker of English, and I plod along in Japanese fairly well...and do know that both languages have taboo words and phrases.

I assume other languages are the same. I wonder why, but will never learn the answer in my remaining years I fear.

Just not sure why we have words in our language that offend us...while just about any sound a non human animal makes, is to us just pretty much a sound and nothing more, unless it is a grizzly attacking or something like that, then we just feel fear I would guess...no time to feel offended...

pgmrdan

Aug 16, 2017
USA
Young Sheldon Cooper, "Cheese and crackers!!!"
W. C. Fields, "Godfrey Daniel, Mother of Pearl!!!"

We'd just say something that sounded like cussing.