Messick's Telescopic Stabilizer Kit - BX Series

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
That's funny. I looked into Hodge's version, but I didn't see a price and I assumed there was a backlog, so as soon as I found there was something in-stock, I just placed the order.
I had Hodges on my BX, they were excellent. My B2601 has factory ones, but not as good as the Hodges - they have a vertical pin with a clip on the bottom that's a pain to take on and off - Hodges had a vertical pin with a retained ball bearing holding them in - so you just pushed them in and done.

I'm sure all variants are massively better than turnbuckles though, and the Messicks version also looked pretty good on the video.

Reactions: 1 users

ejb11235

Equipment
BX23S, Braber BBR4G 4' Box Blade & LRM5G 5' landscape rake
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
I had Hodges on my BX, they were excellent. My B2601 has factory ones, but not as good as the Hodges - they have a vertical pin with a clip on the bottom that's a pain to take on and off - Hodges had a vertical pin with a retained ball bearing holding them in - so you just pushed them in and done.

I'm sure all variants are massively better than turnbuckles though, and the Messicks version also looked pretty good on the video.
I just looked at the picture and the Messicks ones also use the R-clips. The ball bearing pins would be nice unless they get corroded and dirty. I thought about getting some of those to replace some linch pins on my backhoe ... then I realized ... "wait, hmmm ... I could lose hours of work if one of those froze up and I couldn't change out my bucket". The stabilizer rods are much more out of the way so that's probably not a problem.

One way to make those R-clips and pins easier to put the pin in from the blinde side so when you're putting the R-clip on you can see the hole. So in this case you would put the pin in from the bottom, and then the clip would be on the top side of the stabilizer bar.

Last edited:

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I looked into Hodge's version, but I didn't see a price
I was going by what he charged me for my B7100 a few years ago. You'd need to contact him for a current price.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
The ball bearing pins would be nice unless they get corroded and dirty. I thought about getting some of those to replace some linch pins on my backhoe ... then I realized ... "wait, hmmm ... I could lose hours of work if one of those froze up and I couldn't change out my bucket". The stabilizer rods are much more out of the way so that's probably not a problem.
Maybe. I had them on the BX and never had a problem - liked them a lot. On the B I don't, and I miss them. I can only go by my own experience and my own use.

Reactions: 1 user

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I was going by what he charged me for my B7100 a few years ago. You'd need to contact him for a current price.
I build stabilizers for 500+ models, with lots of variations. It is difficult to give a standard price, so the format is to contact me with your need and location, and I'll then give a solid price.

Reactions: 2 users

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
contact me with your need and location, and I'll then give a solid price.
Good point. The price you gave me included shipping costs. To Canada. One would have to add the cost of shipping from Messick's for a true comparison.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Good point. The price you gave me included shipping costs. To Canada. One would have to add the cost of shipping from Messick's for a true comparison.
Once Messicks shipping is added, we are within pennies. Also, they don't ship to Canada (something about Kubota agreements).

The person selling them on Ebay is a penny less than my price, and they don't include pins- you use your existing pins, and they send new cotter pins. They offer a 30 day warranty.

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Once Messicks shipping is added, we are within pennies. Also, they don't ship to Canada (something about Kubota agreements).
I think that is only for parts supplied by Kubota -- they will ship other brand stuff. I don't think the prohibition prevents shipping parts made by others for a Kubota.

ejb11235

Equipment
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
I build stabilizers for 500+ models, with lots of variations. It is difficult to give a standard price, so the format is to contact me with your need and location, and I'll then give a solid price.
I already ordered my set from Messicks for the reasons I stated previously, but just out of curiosity, what is your lead time these days?

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
The E-Bay guy, however, does NOT ship to Canada, according to the listing.

Hodges had a vertical pin with a retained ball bearing holding them in - so you just pushed them in and done.
One other small detail -- Hodge's pins come with a little keeper chain so you can't lose them in the dirt (or snow).

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I already ordered my set from Messicks for the reasons I stated previously, but just out of curiosity, what is your lead time these days?
Winter

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
The E-Bay guy, however, does NOT ship to Canada, according to the listing.

One other small detail -- Hodge's pins come with a little keeper chain so you can't lose them in the dirt (or snow).
Instead of chain, I now make a cable lanyard.

Reactions: 1 users

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
I just ordered a set for my B from hodge. from everything I've read he makes an outstanding product at a fair price. I can wait till they show up.

ejb11235

Equipment
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
I just ordered a set for my B from hodge. from everything I've read he makes an outstanding product at a fair price.
I definitely had the impression that he makes an outstanding product, although I think I made an incorrect assumption about the pricing. I didn't have your patience ... the thought of turning turnbuckles was making me go a little crazy. Any kind of work-related repetitive motion, like scrubbing, sets of my ADHD tendencies. :)

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I definitely had the impression that he makes an outstanding product, although I think I made an incorrect assumption about the pricing. I didn't have your patience ... the thought of turning turnbuckles was making me go a little crazy. Any kind of work-related repetitive motion, like scrubbing, sets of my ADHD tendencies. :)
I certainly don't blame you. I always have a long list of orders to build, and I don't fault potential customers who don't have the time to wait.

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
Turn buckles arnt that bad if (big if) you don't have much equipment. My dad has a ton of cat 1, 3 point attachments for his L that I can use on my B. So the bars just make life easier. If say, all I had was a box blade and maybe a rear mount blower that I swapped out twice a year I wouldn't bother.

ejb11235

Equipment
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
The hitch kit arrived today! Now just waiting for the disguiser
I certainly don't blame you. I always have a long list of orders to build, and I don't fault potential customers who don't have the time to wait.
Glad to hear it, because I've been feeling mildly discomforted that I didn't support someone in the community. I've already passed your name and web site on to someone else.

ejb11235

Equipment
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
Turn buckles arnt that bad if (big if) you don't have much equipment. My dad has a ton of cat 1, 3 point attachments for his L that I can use on my B. So the bars just make life easier. If say, all I had was a box blade and maybe a rear mount blower that I swapped out twice a year I wouldn't bother.
I don't have any attachments yet ... so ... 0 < 1 < many ... ha ha. But I gotta tell you, I received my hitch kit yesterday and test assembled it on the floor. I picked up the turn-buckles and turned them, or tried turning them, for a couple of seconds, and then I'm "yeah, glad I bought those telescoping stabilizers!" The turn-buckles will go right into the spare parts bin.

This reminds me of decades ago I needed to drill a single hole in some concrete. So went out and bought a Bosch rotohammer. I think it cost $179. I drilled my hole and for weeks I was telling people that it was the most expensive hole I had ever drilled in my life! Years later, I've used that drill so many times. I love having that thing.

ejb11235

Equipment
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
The stabilizer bars arrived today. Here are some unboxing photos. Sorry about the blurry image on the bar cross-section shot ... the camera focused on my hands instead of the bar ends.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg