Bird feeders

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Has anybody seen or heard that feeders should be removed and not to feed the birds because of the bird flu?
I was talking to a guy at the barbers , and he said, and I wasnt listening to closely to where he heard it, on some news media outlet. That they, who ever they are, were asking people to remove the feeders to stop the spread of the bird flu. I never saw anything or heard anything about this, so anyone else hear it ?

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Haven't heard anything skeets however that doesn't mean it isn't so...at this point nothing would surprise me anymore. :rolleyes:

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
Has anybody seen or heard that feeders should be removed and not to feed the birds because of the bird flu?
I was talking to a guy at the barbers , and he said, and I wasnt listening to closely to where he heard it, on some news media outlet. That they, who ever they are, were asking people to remove the feeders to stop the spread of the bird flu. I never saw anything or heard anything about this, so anyone else hear it ?
I heard about a bird flu going around the wild bird population that can make domestic birds sick like ducks, chickens etc. Im getting baby ducks this year (may5 delivery date) but i still have my bird feeders out. Hope i can find some masks that fit baby duck bills!!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
My neighbor a state vet has had to go and "depopulate" some chicken flocks. It is real.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I heard about a bird flu going around the wild bird population that can make domestic birds sick like ducks, chickens etc. Im getting baby ducks this year (may5 delivery date) but i still have my bird feeders out. Hope i can find some masks that fit baby duck bills!!
Keep your domestic birds inside a barn or inside a pen constructed to keep wild birds out. No masks required!;)

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior
Up here in our part of the bush we only have a short window of time we can have bird feeders out as small birds will start to be seen a short time before bears come out of den... When bears come out they will wreck everything..

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
Ther may be some truth to what they say. I believe any feeders should be cleaned regularly to ensure mold, mildew and whatever gets brought in by birds, squirrels etc. is removed

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
Keep your domestic birds inside a barn or inside a pen constructed to keep wild birds out. No masks required!;)
The plan was to free range. I have a coop and pen set up but we have a pond and lots of wild food for them to forage and eat.

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
I have a small backyard flock that free ranges daily. I'm not taking my bird feeders down.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Sooo if we stop feeding them for 2 weeks we can get ahead of the curve ?

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

Botamon

Equipment
M7060HDC12, John Deere 2020 diesel
Mar 26, 2018
Winnemucca, Nevada
Nevada Department of Wildlife put out a news release last year about taking down the bird feeders due to the bird flu. This year the word is "no need".

The hawks and kestrels have been doing a pretty good job of thinning out the songbird population around my place. This guy sits on my handrail near the bird feeder till an unwary bird shows up....
P1080344rr.jpg

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Our State put out a notice that bird feeders and bird baths should be taken down. If you can't take them down they had cleaning guidelines on how to help reduce the spread of the bird flu.

The Illinois Department of Natural Resources is asking residents across the state to stop using bird baths and feeders. The recommendation was announced Saturday and runs through the end of May. The new announcement is being issued because of a highly contagious strain of avian flu going through the midwest. The state DNR is saying any resident that finds five or more dead birds in one location should call a department Wildlife Biologist

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I have a small backyard flock that free ranges daily. I'm not taking my bird feeders down.
From your own reference:
"There is currently very low risk of an outbreak among wild songbirds, and no official recommendation to take down feeders unless you also keep domestic poultry, according to the National Wildlife Disease Program. We do always recommend that you clean bird feeders and birdbaths regularly as a way to keep many kinds of diseases at bay.

We also always recommend that you follow any recommendations put out by your state government, such as the recent request to take down feeders in Illinois. We will update this page as the situation develops."

I guess you have a 'right' to do as you please. . .

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
From your own reference:
"There is currently very low risk of an outbreak among wild songbirds, and no official recommendation to take down feeders unless you also keep domestic poultry, according to the National Wildlife Disease Program. We do always recommend that you clean bird feeders and birdbaths regularly as a way to keep many kinds of diseases at bay.

We also always recommend that you follow any recommendations put out by your state government, such as the recent request to take down feeders in Illinois. We will update this page as the situation develops."

I guess you have a 'right' to do as you please. . .
Yeah, I'm still not taking down my bird feeders and I don't live anywhere close to Illinois. What difference does it make to you? They're not your chickens.

Last edited:

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Do you mean cat feeders? If I removed mine our fat house cat coyote marshmallow won't be able to kill his quota of birds. Too fat to catch chipmunks and squirrels.

Jhtractor

Equipment
2021 LX3310, LA535, RTR1258 tiller, QH10, BB1260, LX2963, PF1242, RCK60
Apr 23, 2021
Wisconsin
I had a long talk with our meat birds and told them to maintain social distances from wild songbirds and stay 6' from each other. Have two weeks to go on the first group of Cornish Cross Chickens and can't have them getting the bird flu now.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I had a long talk with our meat birds and told them to maintain social distances from wild songbirds and stay 6' from each other. Have two weeks to go on the first group of Cornish Cross Chickens and can't have them getting the bird flu now.
You forgot to tell them they need to wear a mask when they are within six feet of another bird when they can't stay away from each other. :p

I know the egg prices has went up. Previous time we bought a dozen for $0.88 and last night it was $2.18.

• Haha