Only Back wheels spin on 4WD kubota?

Cerealkilla43

Jan 29, 2022
NJ
Was plowing snow with tractor and noticed I was getting stuck and the back wheels were only spinning. Shouldn't all 4 wheels be spinning?

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I have had all my tires spinning before, then my nephew came over with the other tractor and gave me a little push to help me get unstuck.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Was plowing snow with tractor and noticed I was getting stuck and the back wheels were only spinning. Shouldn't all 4 wheels be spinning?
In a small 4wd tractor the 4 x 4 is really 1 x 1. One rear wheel will apply power when you are in 2 wd. Move the lever to put it into 4 x 4 and one front tire will have power and one rear tire.. Step on the rear differential lock and you should get 3 wheel power. two rear one front. Most small tractors do not have a front diff lock which is the only way you could get power to all 4 wheels. Some large tractors can have a front diff lock along with the rear diff lock.

Reactions: 4 users

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Depends. What model tractor do you have?

Cerealkilla43

Jan 29, 2022
NJ
Figured it out, turns out im an idiot and there's a 4WD lever. Why would 2wd even be an option on a tractor, what's the purpose?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
On dry level ground 2wd turns easier and sharper. 4WD on pavement is not good for the mechanics.
I once thought I was changing the gearing but took mine out of 4 WD. I got one rear wheel spin and thought I was in deep trouble. Stepped on the locker and made two rear wheel trenches to solid ground. I could have kicked myself when I looked down and saw what I did.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Figured it out, turns out im an idiot and there's a 4WD lever. Why would 2wd even be an option on a tractor, what's the purpose?
If you’re on a dry asphalt parking lot in June, having your tractor in 4WD can break up your front drivetrain while turning.

Have you ever had a 4WD vehicle? Same principle. Guess I take it for granted after having 7 or 8 pickup trucks with 4WD. Don’t use 4WD unless needed. Can tear a truck apart too.

Reactions: 1 users

Geezer3d

Equipment
Kubota LX2610SU
Apr 22, 2021
Heart of the Catskills
I do use 4wd most of the time, but on my lawn, particularly when it is soft from rain, 2wd does much less damage. The same would be true on a gravel driveway with loose stone and other things like that. And, if you are driving on the road you will save on tire wear.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Save your 4 wheel drive for when you need it. If you get your tractor stuck in 4 wheel drive, then you are going to need additional assistance to get out. You are already beyond the possibility of the tractor. Getting stuck in 2 wheel drive allows you the luxury of using the 4 wheel drive to power out of the problem. Sure you will get stuck sooner with 2 wheel drive, but you will also get out faster if you use the 4 wheel drive to back out of your problem. Now, if you need 4 wheel drive to push further ahead, then keep in mind that you might also need help to get out. I learned this lesson early on and now I only use 4 wheel drive when I know that I am not going to bury the tractor in a problem.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: I guess we need an "all wheel drive" option like is found on so many cars.

yeah, that ought to double the cost of every tractor.....
true 'all wheel drive' would involve sensors at every corner , a 'computer', and then some kind of 'locker' ,at every corner, that adjusts in 'real time'. Oh yeah a 'bypass' switch ! So you can use the tractor when 'something' in the AWD system fails....
BTW all vehicles with a differential, that doesn't have a 'locker' are really one whee drive vehicles...

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I guess we need an "all wheel drive" option like is found on so many cars.
Check it out........Claims to be AWD.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
re: I guess we need an "all wheel drive" option like is found on so many cars.

yeah, that ought to double the cost of every tractor.....
true 'all wheel drive' would involve sensors at every corner , a 'computer', and then some kind of 'locker' ,at every corner, that adjusts in 'real time'. Oh yeah a 'bypass' switch ! So you can use the tractor when 'something' in the AWD system fails....
BTW all vehicles with a differential, that doesn't have a 'locker' are really one whee drive vehicles...
Don't overthink it, all that is needed is a viscous coupler driving the front wheels to allow some slippage.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
yeah, my newest old JEEP had that 'Quadratrac', would direct all the power to the one wheel on solid ground NOT the 3 in the mud.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

As others have mentioned - there is a time and a place for 4wd and 2wd........

most people STILL have a misconception of what 4wd IS on a CUT or SCUT. UNLESS there is a viscous coupler in the front end, there will only be 3 wd. 4 wheel driven is an accurate statement - 4 wheel drive is not!