Looking for new tractor for 80th

Mossy dell

Equipment
B2601 (2021) JD970 (1998) B2100 (1991) B6100E (1988)
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
Wheel spacers installed by dealer for my B2601, delivered in mid-February 2021, were $315.

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
and will bring the LX track width outside of 60" implements
I have the base LX2610SU width at 53.7 inches. Adding 6 inches would put it just short of 60 inches. Don't think I'd add spacers to an LX unless I wanted to go to a 5 ft bush hog. Its rear is a good match with a 54 inch bucket in front.

The 6 inches on a B2301 would put it at 51 inches, closer in width to a 54 inch bucket. I do trails where I have to dodge around things to each side on the 2025R with its 53 or 54 inch bucket but occasionally slightly hang the edge of the 48 inch bush hog on stuff.

Reactions: 1 user

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I have the base LX2610SU width at 53.7 inches. Adding 6 inches would put it just short of 60 inches. Don't think I'd add spacers to an LX unless I wanted to go to a 5 ft bush hog. Its rear is a good match with a 54 inch bucket in front.

The 6 inches on a B2301 would put it at 51 inches, closer in width to a 54 bucket. I do trails where I have to dodge around things to each side on the 2025R with its 53 or 54 inch bucket but occasionally slightly hang the edge of the 48-inch bush hog on stuff.
I dont think your information is correct... The LX/SU outside tire track falls out at 56" for the larger tires (I believe). I know it's 56" for the big R14s...

I have regular R4s (non SU machine) and held off on adding 1.5" spacers for this reason. The regular R4s are 53.5" themselves, I did not want to come within 2" of 60" box blade, rake, and tiller.

On the B series with a tire track that falls out around ~50" w R4s there's more room for spacers vs 60" implements.

Last edited:

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
Still no more emails from any of the 3 dealers within 35 miles. Either they're too busy with Xmas rush or don't really care about non Ag business with small tractors. None of them had B2301 or LX2601SU with loaders when I first contacted them a couple weeks or more ago.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
You are in VA? it might be worth calling Hoober in VA. They delivered my machine to me in under two weeks about 5 months ago. It actually came from their VA location and was trucked up to DE. They also have a location in PA but when you speak to someone they can search all their locations at once.

Mossy dell

Equipment
B2601 (2021) JD970 (1998) B2100 (1991) B6100E (1988)
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA

The 6 inches on a B2301 would put it at 51 inches, closer in width to a 54 inch bucket. I do trails where I have to dodge around things to each side on the 2025R with its 53 or 54 inch bucket but occasionally slightly hang the edge of the 48 inch bush hog on stuff.
I was showing a guy my wheel spacers today and they look more like 2" to me than 3"! Not sure how to measure, though. Anyway, whatever I got works in making the tractor more stable, and you can see the rear wheels stick out a bit more.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Still no more emails from any of the 3 dealers within 35 miles. Either they're too busy with Xmas rush or don't really care about non Ag business with small tractors. None of them had B2301 or LX2601SU with loaders when I first contacted them a couple weeks or more ago.
Did you pick up the phone and call them? I suspect that some dealers ignore initial emails asking for prices as spam, because they consider them non-serious inquiries. Also, their email service may have put them into a spam folder by mistake. If you are serious about wanting a quote, then take the time to call and talk to a salesperson, if you aren’t willing to put in the time, then don’t expect them to put in the time either.

Reactions: 1 users

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
Did you pick up the phone and call them? I suspect that some dealers ignore initial emails asking for prices as spam, because they consider them non-serious inquiries. Also, their email service may have put them into a spam folder by mistake. If you are serious about wanting a quote, then take the time to call and talk to a salesperson, if you aren’t willing to put in the time, then don’t expect them to put in the time either.
I'll send them another email come January.

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
Think I've settled on a B2301. The only thing the LX seems to offer is a better seat and maybe not all that much better on the SU. Don't like the digital instrumentation (think they did that because the 3310 needs a computer to run the common rail injectors). A tad too wide.

Think I'll go with R4 or R14 tires NEVER any tire problem since 2013 on R4s, hydraulic top link, 54 inch bucket, wheel spacers (which are 1 3/8 inch, which puts the width right at 48 inches), probably Landpride 15 series 5 ft box blade.

Already have a really good 4 ft Frontier bush hog, WM WC46 chipper, carryall and Frontier 5 ft back blade. The Canadian guy on Youtube a lot says his WC68 chipper is the only thing that bogged his B2601. This guy is forever over taxing his equipment. He did $3400 damage on his FEL (or grapple on same).

Just gotta contact the dealers again to see when they can get FELs after the 1st of the year.

The JD 2025R just loafs on the WC46 chipper. Used to run a Mac chipper which did up to 3.5 inches on the 18.5 hp JD I had in 2004-2013 and NEVER EVER bogged it. It also handled a 4 ft bush hog fine. Probably will just run the B2301 at full PTO speed but cut back on the hydraulic feed speed a tad. The 2025R loafs along at 450 PTO speed and probably about the same hp as the B2301 at that speed.

Got a guy with a forestry mulcher and will takes care of all stumps next month. Only thing that requires all the 2025R's hp is stump pulling or dirt digging, but I hauled 22 tons of gravel with the 18.5 hp 4010.

Last edited:

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
That's me. Had bad legs today due to eating Cheerios (the tri sodium phosphate additive; I guess); so no tractor work: just our hike. Good legs yesterday before the Cheerios and ridding myself of peanuts. Did some bottomless chipping.
LOL...watch the loose hanging branch when you get close to the chipper!

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Think I'll go with R4 or R14 tires NEVER any tire problem since 2013 on R4s,
When I was considering a new tractor a year or so ago, I was really interested in the R14 tire.

After reading a lot here on OTT, I concluded they were not for me, as I remember the reports being they were bouncy, more like balloons than R4 tires are, big time. My exaggeration, but basically what was said in so many words.

Before deciding on which tire to get, I would suggest you do a search here for R14 tires and see what the comments/experiences are.

In the end, I decided if I were to buy a new tractor, I would probably buy R4 tires again, even though they turn to slicks in mud. But otherwise, they are pretty bullet proof. My second choice would be R1 tires, but I do not really have that much mud to deal with.

Just a thought....

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Think I've settled on a B2301. The only thing the LX seems to offer is a better seat and maybe not all that much better on the SU... A tad too wide.
The SU version is a stripped down version of the LX, not really a fair comparison of LX vs B2301/B2601, and yes SU has same crappy seat as B2601 / BX. The LX has a lot to offer over a B2601 plus added width = stability.

if you are adding rear valves, and plan on using them a lot, I would suggest sitting on a B2601, and putting your fingers about 4" over the empty compartment under the armrest and go for a test drive someplace bumpy, fun times!

in any event, its good you selected a machine and will go orange.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
What's the price of pallet forks to place on FEL lift arms/frame in place of bucket?

Trying to decide on bolt on vs. buying pallet forks for new tractor.

Gotta use something else to eliminate muscling 5 gallon containers for refueling the diesel generator. Went through muscling 7 of them yesterday 3 times. Ran out of diesel fuel. Muscled 5 to refuel. Then bought 2 more and man handled those 7 into and out of the truck to refuel at station and then out of truck to finish refueling the generator and then into FEL of tractor to put in carriage house.

Thinking of placing on a pallet with sides and use grounding strap when refueling with containers left on the pallet at station.

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
Considering also going ahead with grappel/snow plow valve on FEL plus TNT valves for the rear. Is there a way to lock those TNT controls to avoid accidently hitting them on a B? They don't appear to have a lock on the SU controls shown above.

The TNT would be useful on the box blade to tilt it into the uphill side of the old maintenance road that has filled in very slightly over the years on the uphill side. However, use of the tines just on that side initially and then later scooping out the loosened earth box blade or FEL might work, too.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
What's the price of pallet forks to place on FEL lift arms/frame in place of bucket?

Trying to decide on bolt on vs. buying pallet forks for new tractor.

Gotta use something else to eliminate muscling 5 gallon containers for refueling the diesel generator. Went through muscling 7 of them yesterday 3 times. Ran out of diesel fuel. Muscled 5 to refuel. Then bought 2 more and man handled those 7 into and out of the truck to refuel at station and then out of truck to finish refueling the generator and then into FEL of tractor to put in carriage house.

Thinking of placing on a pallet with sides and use grounding strap when refueling with containers left on the pallet at station.
Bolt on forks are ALL junk!
I have a set that I bought for my so sweet little Ford 1920 (no SSQA).
A waste of money!

For my Kubota L48 TLB I have a set of SSQA 4400 lb. Everything Attachment forks.
They are EXCELLENT!

Reactions: 1 users

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Considering also going ahead with grappel/snow plow valve on FEL plus TNT valves for the rear. Is there a way to lock those TNT controls to avoid accidently hitting them on a B? They don't appear to have a lock on the SU controls shown above.

The TNT would be useful on the box blade to tilt it into the uphill side of the old maintenance road that has filled in very slightly over the years on the uphill side. However, use of the tines just on that side initially and then later scooping out the loosened earth box blade or FEL might work, too.
that is not an SU it is a B2601. On the LX they are located further out and away.
you wont accidentally hit them on B2601, as they are inconveniently located directly under the armrest, thats what I was showing above. Make sure your hand is clear if the seat bounces.

dual rear valves for T&T and 3rd function are def the way to go

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
that is not an SU it is a B2601. On the LX they are located further out and away.
you wont accidentally hit them on B2601, as they are inconveniently located directly under the armrest, thats what I was showing above. Make sure your hand is clear if the seat bounces.

dual rear valves for T&T and 3rd function are def the way to go
See it in your note now. Not in the B operator's manual that I have an online copy of.