Looking for new tractor for 80th

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
Had a comment on TBN about how my 3rd function lines were out to the side and exposed. I'm thinking Kubota should include 2 more quick release points on their QuickTach hydraulic connection thingie to include the 3rd function lines. I'll probably never disconnect any of them though. Never ever had the loaders off on any of the 3 JDs since 2004.

This thing is better than any of the 3 JDs I've had with (in addition to some noted above):

1. Guards to the valve stems.
2. Metal covering over the driveshaft (JDs only have plastic) (I gotta crawl underneath there and see what they have for Ujoints, maybe none, e.g. other kind?)
3. 3ph raises a tad higher
4. The fuel cap actually screws on and off easier. Recently would not take 2 gallons with 2.6 hours on it. Good sign.
5. The radiator overflow container is right in front and easy to get to. Needed a screwdriver to take the top off the one on the 2025R and a funnel with long snout to refill it. Then top was hard to put back on.
6. More room to get the end snorkel off the air cleaner.
7. The brake pedal lock snaps off by tapping the pedals. Hard to get off at times on the JDs.
8. Top link is really easy to turn, e.g. that grease point maybe. Actually smaller, too. Hoping the tilt one will be equally easy. Tilt was always hard to turn on all 3 JDs.
9. Three position steering wheel.
10. Of course, 3 range HST control. Only 2 on the JDs.

A couple negatives in addition to maybe a couple noted above):

1. Absolutely NOTHING on the FEL bucket to attach anything to. JDs at least had a couple detents on top to attach tension cords.
2. Cruise control seems almost impossible to use but seldom need it.
3. No settable/but bypassable on the 3ph control. There's a stop, but you cannot bypass it. I likely won't use it. Just will note where it has to be for the bush hog. Not even sure this one's adjustable stop is even there.

One negative that I haven't contended with is the 2 drain points on the crankcase. Will experiment with which one is emptied using my oil extractor. Maybe there's a connect between them at front or back that allows both to be sucked dry. Tried this on the JD 4010. Opened the drain plug and NOTHING came out.

Reactions: 1 user

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
Another improvement over JDs: no loop de loop on hard pavement in 4wd when making a tight turn. All 3 JDs did this. No bouncing in a tight turn on the Kubota.

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
More stingy on fuel: STILL will not take all that 2 gallons of fuel with 4.2 hours on the clock. The 18.5 hp JD 4010's usage was the lowest at 0.46 gph. This one is even lower.

Lowest is the Isuzu's 0.33 gph.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
you will do roughly 5-8 hours of work before needing to fill (depending on load)

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
Think this thing is less tippy than the JD 2025R. It is a tad wider at the rear tires. Have not gotten any of that "tippy" feeling on it at all yet.

Mak65

Equipment
L2501 HST
Apr 25, 2019
TX
Happy 80th Birthday! Here’s to another 80.

A good friend of mine celebrates his 66th today, as well.

top gnome

Equipment
b2301 w bh fel grapple back blade snow plow forks
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
Happy Birthday Ralph. My next door neighbor is 94 still driving his 16 hp Ford 1210 that inspired me to buy my 2301 perfect size tractor for this area.

Mossy dell

Equipment
B2601 (2021) JD970 (1998) B2100 (1991) B6100E (1988)
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
Lookin good, Ralph! That blue shirt sure goes with orange.

80 no longer seems as old to me—I have a way to go still but my favorite brother in law just turned 80 and is in better shape than me.

NorthWest Orange

Equipment
Kubota B2601
Mar 20, 2022
Oregon
Congratulations Ralph on your B2601.
I think you will love this tractor, as I sure do love mine.
I have the Woods BSS54P box blade and it weighs 486 lbs.
If you don’t plan on getting a MMM (belly mower) you can order a step for mounting on the left entry side. It’s a part from the B2650 parts. Real simple to install and it prevents you from tugging on the steering wheel When mounting the tractor. About $70.00.
GP outdoors has a video on it.
Word of caution: when installing any new implement, when ready to test out go through the full motions real slow and watch all angles to avoid pinching or crunching or smashing some part of your little baby.
Ask me how I know😳.
The first time I loaded the Box Blade I had the drawbar out one position with a small shackle on it and the shackle swiveled to the right side so when I lowered the box blade all the way down it pinched the stabilizer bar where It’s connected to the tractor.
It just pinched it slightly so i took the piece off and squeezed it back to normal in a vice without any marks or scuffs. 🙈.
That woke me up and now I check everything out before moving Anything.
With that box blade you have weighing in at 514 lbs you may want a set of duel hydraulics for the rear.
yes it’s more $$$ but the advantage is enormous.
It may take 36 weeks from Fit-Rite Hydraulics but patience is a virtue😜.
I’m at week 32 of a minimum 30 week. Close.
The dreaded Treadle Pedal, it was really foreign to me at first, but don’t even think about any longer as it’s just like anything new. Just a learning curve.
Have fun.
My hats off to whoever treated their Dad so well.🎂

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
Thanks. I didn't go for the TNT because the 2 hydraulic connections required a month or more wait to get at the dealer. Then there was a projected 34 week wait from Fit Rite. The links are easy to move if you sit the BB down.

Not sure the reverse treadle will ever be as easy to use as the 2 pedal setup. At least, I'm not letting up on the forward pedal and reaching for the reverse pedal now.