L4701 I am an idiot how screwed am I ?

Jday

Equipment
Kubota l4701
Jan 4, 2022
Texas
Long story short bought a 2019 L4701 from an individual with 94 hrs . I test drove it for about 10 min everything seemed fine. Get it delivered to my house and drove it 200 yards and it starts acting up. Let it sit sounds like crap. Run it to dealer hr later who says he thinks it might need a new engine. Oil was sparkly. Regular warranty is out but stil 4 years on power train. With 94hrs I would hope kabota takes care of it. Dealer says they send off samples etc. Will know in 2-3 weeks. Any recourse?

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO

Jday

Equipment
Kubota l4701
Jan 4, 2022
Texas
The bad thing is literally owned it for 30 min before it craped out. Dealer said they thought it was a 50/50 shot. New engine is 14k they said. Fingers crossed Kabota does the right thing. 2 years old and 94hrs it sure is hell should be covered under power train warranty.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Could be like the recent post where the dealer that said it was the clutch except after replacing the clutch, the tractor still had issues moving. In other words, don’t trust the dealer.;) I’ve only changed the oil once in my L2501, but the warning light came on when started. I’m assuming the L4701 has something similar.

It’s hard for me to believe that everything was fine until you restarted it. So, I’d have someone else take a look.

Jday

Equipment
Kubota l4701
Jan 4, 2022
Texas
Could be like the recent post where the dealer that said it was the clutch except after replacing the clutch, the tractor still had issues moving. In other words, don’t trust the dealer.;) I’ve only changed the oil once in my L2501, but the warning light came on when started. I’m assuming the L4701 has something similar.

It’s hard for me to believe that everything was fine until you restarted it. So, I’d have someone else take a look.
I test drove it on Saturday it was delivered on Monday. Same hours on it. Only thing I can think is I really didn’t rev it up much on test drive. It’s was on a small lot. Needless to say I will never not take it to a dealer to look at before buying another. I’m no tractor expert either so it’s possible it was messed up and I didn’t know. Either way definitely paying the stupid tax for being an idiot.

Jday

Equipment
Kubota l4701
Jan 4, 2022
Texas
Owner seemed like a great guy said no issues he knew of I really don’t think he was trying to screw me. He returned my call and even called dealer I took it too but I guess who knows for sure. I like to think positive of people until proven otherwise.

Jday

Equipment
Kubota l4701
Jan 4, 2022
Texas
2019 L4701 for 25k I thought it a fair price at the time. Not so much now.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
When you drove it 200 yards and it starting "acting up" what were the symptoms.? Any signs that the tractor has been rolled?

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Even a clogged fuel filter could cause it to “act funny”, and that’s super easy to have happen.

58Ford

Equipment
BX23s, LA340, BT603, RCR1248, PFL1242, STB1072
Jan 1, 2022
SW Washington
Sending good vibes your way Brother! Let us know how you get on. If it’s a new engine and you’re on the hook for it - DO NOT READ THE SUICIDE THREAD in Off Topic!!🤣😂😝

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Long story short bought a 2019 L4701 from an individual with 94 hrs . I test drove it for about 10 min everything seemed fine. Get it delivered to my house and drove it 200 yards and it starts acting up. Let it sit sounds like crap. Run it to dealer hr later who says he thinks it might need a new engine. Oil was sparkly. Regular warranty is out but stil 4 years on power train. With 94hrs I would hope kabota takes care of it. Dealer says they send off samples etc. Will know in 2-3 weeks. Any recourse?
Any recourse to what????
Your tractor is a Kubota, not a kabota.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I'd think there's krap in the fuel, and 20-20 hindsight '10 minutes' probably wasn't even enough time to get the tractor up to operating temperature, let alone test every function/feature of it.
94hrs on a 2 year old tractor isn't very much and fuel goes 'bad' after a month or so.
Sounds like it'll still start and run, so I'd drain tank, remove, CLEAN, purge the fuel lines, clean injectors,all new filters, add fresh fuel,prime and start it up. It might run 'rough' for 4-7 minutes, then clear up and be fine.

Reactions: 2 users

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I would want more information from the dealer than just it needs a new engine. What exactly is wrong with it? What have they done to diagnose it? What does it need to fix it other than throwing a new engine in it? If they have not disassembled it, I would haul it to another dealer for another opinion before putting 14k into it.

Jday

Equipment
Kubota l4701
Jan 4, 2022
Texas
All great opinions really appreciate it and yes I should learn to spell it right. LOL. Just frustrated and typing on phone. Also hindsight I should have put it through its paces for much longer, I just figured with such low hours what could be wrong. Lesson obviously learned. Yes waiting on Kubota to look at oil samples. I will check with dealership today to get more information for sure. They didn't say much just hey we had a tech look at it and it is not good. Oil looked like it had metal in it. We are shipping off samples but it might need a new engine. Caught them right before closing so will give them another call today. Thinking on it now when I had it for all of 30 min, it wanted to die at High RPMs. Like even going up a small hill was a strain on it. It went up in down the trailer no problem until after I ran it and it started sounding funny. Like it was missing. Then at one point started smoking white smoke really bad, so bad that when I was putting it on the trailer I couldn't see. When unloaded from trailer it didn't do that though. The smoke thing only happened one time. Hope someone learns from my mistake. Either run it good when test driving or better yet pay to take it to dealer so they can look at it. I am new to tractors obviously.

Jday

Equipment
Kubota l4701
Jan 4, 2022
Texas
What does rolled mean? Like rolled back hours? Tractor was only 2 years old and looks brand new accept bucket is a little worn but that is to be expected.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
The bad thing is literally owned it for 30 min before it craped out. Dealer said they thought it was a 50/50 shot. New engine is 14k they said. Fingers crossed Kabota does the right thing. 2 years old and 94hrs it sure is hell should be covered under power train warranty.
I hate that this happened to you. However, it isn't automatically Kubota's fault, or their responsibility. It was your job to check the tractor over well, and assure (as much as possible), that all was good. It may very well be a manufacturing issue. But, it could also be the fault of the previous owner. A lot can happen in 94 hours. You mentioned metal in the oil- time will tell where responsibility lies.

Reactions: 1 users

Jday

Equipment
Kubota l4701
Jan 4, 2022
Texas
Yep I agree just hoping for the best. Hard lesson learned.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Yep I agree just hoping for the best. Hard lesson learned.
I am thinking, hoping, it is too soon to panic. As pointed out above, cleaning tank, fuel lines fuel filter are good first steps. At 94 hours maybe some of the metal they saw is leftover from manufacturing. A systematic approach to maintenance items might solve it. Dealer help is useful if they can read the diagnostic codes and help you make sure the emissions control system is not damaged. These are nice tractors, worth the hassle to get this one put right. Preferably without a new engine. :)