Hey guys! Newbie here!

BillyJackson

Equipment
TLB
Nov 21, 2021
USA
I mean absolute newbie in terms of tractors. I am wanting to learn as much as I can that can help me with my first purchase choice. I have approx 200 acres with which I plan to start an outdoor garden scale train park. most of my application will be road grading with a lesser but consistant need for backhoe capability. not much grass cutting but alot of gravel work and such. I have been leaning toward an M62 as a heavy built swiss army knife main workhorse. A buddy of mine is telling me it is probably overkill and/ or a scut could suffice for much less money.

Any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: 1 user

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Billy,

glad to have you here - I will say this about overkill - 95% of owners wish they had a little bit BIGGER tractor and the other 5% wish they could get around tighter spots a bit easier!

I will say this - get the largest machine that your pocketbook can afford - maybe the M is a bit big - if so, look at the L47 series.

Reactions: 3 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I mean absolute newbie in terms of tractors. I am wanting to learn as much as I can that can help me with my first purchase choice. I have approx 200 acres with which I plan to start an outdoor garden scale train park. most of my application will be road grading with a lesser but consistant need for backhoe capability. not much grass cutting but alot of gravel work and such. I have been leaning toward an M62 as a heavy built swiss army knife main workhorse. A buddy of mine is telling me it is probably overkill and/ or a scut could suffice for much less money.

I have a 253 hour 2006 Kubota L48 TLB, the predecessor to the L47.
I have it for personal use on my 12 ac. property, and it has NEVER been too big!
Absolutely....GET THE M62 !!!

If I were not 81 years old, I would sell my L48, and buy an M62.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

BillyJackson

Equipment
TLB
Nov 21, 2021
USA
Thank you for your replies! I test drove a M62 back in 2018 and it just felt like a glove. I really liked how it was thought out and It appeared there wasnt much I could imagine not doing with it. However, I regularly see medium hour John deere 310s all over the place that are suprisingly close in price to a new M62 considering the size difference of the machines.

The implement flexibility of the kubota is something I think is important.

Messicks says the Kubota tlb line is overbuilt for construction use and is targeted for a specialized market. Does the M62 have a direct competitor? something I could do a fair comparison with?

memtb

Equipment
Kubota M6040
Jun 6, 2017
Winchester, Wyoming
Welcome to the forum Billy! And, I completely agree with 85Kokie....... it’s pretty difficult to go too big!

Like owning a quality, loaded-out truck or car......you will rarely hear someone suggest that it’s just too “nice”! 😉 memtb

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Thank you for your replies! I test drove a M62 back in 2018 and it just felt like a glove. I really liked how it was thought out and It appeared there wasnt much I could imagine not doing with it. However, I regularly see medium hour John deere 310s all over the place that are suprisingly close in price to a new M62 considering the size difference of the machines.

The implement flexibility of the kubota is something I think is important.

Messicks says the Kubota tlb line is overbuilt for construction use and is targeted for a specialized market. Does the M62 have a direct competitor? something I could do a fair comparison with?
As you know from my post above, I have a Kubota L48 TLB.
That said: The John Deere 310 TLB is one mighty fine machine, and is in a class (capability) well above the M62.
Sorta like a comparison between a Mercedes, and a Rolls Royce.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico

I would either stay with your original choice (M series) or at the smallest I would consider an MX. No doubt with your endeavors, you will need significant loader lift capability.

BillyJackson

Equipment
TLB
Nov 21, 2021
USA
Ok it seems unanimous, my original choice seems to be getting nothing but thumb ups! Thank guys for all the advice. @fried1765... if you are still on tractors at 81, I will also have a bit of whatever you are drinking! ThankS!

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I don't know how everyone can be so quick to recommend a tractor. It seems a proper understanding of a "garden scale train park" is in order. This may be a Santa Claus induced seasonal dream of some sort thrown our way for giggles. BTW The movie "Elf" is worth watching for those interested in a very good seasonal flick.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT

Looks like you have all your questions answered. Now, a question for you. In what state are you building this train park? The reason that I ask, I heard about one that was dismantled when the property was divided in a diverse I Arizona. Wondering if you might have bought that one. I also know of a person that does the installation of train parks for amusement parts.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Good day. 200 acres is a good bit. Depending on the terrain and scope as well as frequency of work, and how you plan to use the property over time, one toy may not be enough. if you truly are new to tractors/equipment, may not be unreasonable to visit you local quarry, construction contractor and a local farm and ask them about the equipment and work to be done and what they would recommend. Offer a coffee or a beer and you may make a friend life.

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
I sure like the comfort of my GL. I would say look at the GL line. Get into the 5760 or 6060 so you get the turbo. The backhoe in the GL line is the BH92. It’s not as capable as the TLB line but it’s a beast for tractor backhoe’s. Kubota owns the BH tractor line IMO with the BH77 and BH92.

Get the air ride seat. The HST+ is awesome. Throw in throttle up with the GL’s and they really are comfortable for us “older” operators.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I sure like the comfort of my GL. I would say look at the GL line. Get into the 5760 or 6060 so you get the turbo. The backhoe in the GL line is the BH92. It’s not as capable as the TLB line but it’s a beast for tractor backhoe’s. Kubota owns the BH tractor line IMO with the BH77 and BH92.

Get the air ride seat. The HST+ is awesome. Throw in throttle up with the GL’s and they really are comfortable for us “older” operators.
I would submit that for the job he is planning, at a minimum, the OP really does need a dedicated TLB,.
A tractor with just a 9' BH attachment would be woefully ineffective.
While the M62 would be a satisfatory machine for his tasks, I would lean heavily toward a low hour JD310.

BillyJackson

Equipment
TLB
Nov 21, 2021
USA
Appreciate all the additional replies. this is a very helpful forum/community.

If I seem sort of cryptic in my description of the project as a garden scale train park, it is because sometimes being too open about the plan breaks down into "feasibilty" discussions of the plan. Once even being accused of really planning a "meth lab"!

But to be a little more clear, No, not in Arizona, yes it is near the west coast, a 6th scale diorama, which will have a 6th scale train running throughout. the land does have rocks but roads and track are planned to go around much of it negating the need for heavy excavation. the backhoe requirement would be for digging water features, septic, and some small permaculture activities.

At the moment I am in northern Florida where it seems like Deere 310s are everywhere and every grandmother knows what truck has cummins in it. but my understanding is that with a 310, what you see is what you get in terms of implements, whereas with the smaller TLB, the options are crazy. boxscrapes, Harley rakes, augers, etc. so im trying to pick a super flexible tool that might cover me with even unanticipated options. even though smaller than the 310.

As of now, I dont have the option to finance multiple toys, thus my single choice is critical and getting expert advise from you guys is again, very much appreciated.

Being ex Air Force, I visited a couple of civil engineering squadrons posing the same questions and they basically said what you all are saying, so there seems to be enough concensus for me.

It sounds like you guys are in agreement that the M62 is large enough to handle what I would use it for.

Sorry for the super wordy reply.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I would consider hiring it done. Are there liability issues to consider ,zoning, permits, insurance. ?..... Is this a business venture or just a hobby ?. Just because you have 200 acres does not mean you can necessarily do what you want with it. Before I went out and spent $50,000 on equipment I would determine the feasibility of having it built for perhaps meaningfully less. I don't know the scope of your proposed undertaking but an experienced operator on a skid steer can get an awful lot done in a couple of days for less than the tax you would pay on your purchase of the new equipment.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Appreciate all the additional replies. this is a very helpful forum/community.

If I seem sort of cryptic in my description of the project as a garden scale train park, it is because sometimes being too open about the plan breaks down into "feasibilty" discussions of the plan. Once even being accused of really planning a "meth lab"!

But to be a little more clear, No, not in Arizona, yes it is near the west coast, a 6th scale diorama, which will have a 6th scale train running throughout. the land does have rocks but roads and track are planned to go around much of it negating the need for heavy excavation. the backhoe requirement would be for digging water features, septic, and some small permaculture activities.

At the moment I am in northern Florida where it seems like Deere 310s are everywhere and every grandmother knows what truck has cummins in it. but my understanding is that with a 310, what you see is what you get in terms of implements, whereas with the smaller TLB, the options are crazy. boxscrapes, Harley rakes, augers, etc. so im trying to pick a super flexible tool that might cover me with even unanticipated options. even though smaller than the 310.

As of now, I dont have the option to finance multiple toys, thus my single choice is critical and getting expert advise from you guys is again, very much appreciated.

Being ex Air Force, I visited a couple of civil engineering squadrons posing the same questions and they basically said what you all are saying, so there seems to be enough concensus for me.

It sounds like you guys are in agreement that the M62 is large enough to handle what I would use it for.

Sorry for the super wordy reply.
If only you were ex Navy,..... you would have not needed to ask these questions!;)

Snowman7

Equipment
LX3310 535 loader, LX2980, RB2672, FDR1660
May 20, 2020
Boyne Falls, MI.
I mean absolute newbie in terms of tractors. I am wanting to learn as much as I can that can help me with my first purchase choice. I have approx 200 acres with which I plan to start an outdoor garden scale train park. most of my application will be road grading with a lesser bute consistant need for backhoe capability. not much grass cutting but alot of gravel work and such. I have been leaning toward an M62 as a heavy built swiss army knife main workhorse. A buddy of mine is telling me it is probably overkill and/ or a scut could suffice for much less money.

Welcome to Orange, I cannot interject anything as I have a small compact so I am ignorant
to this conversatio.