Hey guys! Newbie here!

retiree-urgency abandoned

Equipment
B3350, Kub. 5" rotary cutter, LP 48" forks, Titan Aerial Platform, KK XB Dump
Dec 1, 2020
Bloomington, IN
The

The welcome is very much appreciated!(y)
Welcome to OTT!

Go with your gut.

My enabler (spouse) got tired of me complaining about a green machine that would break down as far as possible from the house (at most inconvenient times/weather). She was right - haven't been disappointed and when I need service or have an issue, my local dealer has my back.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Welcome to OTT!

Go with your gut.

My enabler (spouse) got tired of me complaining about a green machine that would break down as far as possible from the house (at most inconvenient times/weather). She was right - haven't been disappointed and when I need service or have an issue, my local dealer has my back.
The best way to get over green is to get on top of orange. Implements are always

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
I mean absolute newbie in terms of tractors. I am wanting to learn as much as I can that can help me with my first purchase choice. I have approx 200 acres with which I plan to start an outdoor garden scale train park. most of my application will be road grading with a lesser but consistant need for backhoe capability. not much grass cutting but alot of gravel work and such. I have been leaning toward an M62 as a heavy built swiss army knife main workhorse. A buddy of mine is telling me it is probably overkill and/ or a scut could suffice for much less money.

Any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated.
1. Road grading or road creation? Tractors are not an ideal machine for creating roads.
2. Backhoe for what?

M62 is a great machine, very well built. No cab (make sure this isn't an issue for you).

Reactions: 1 user

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Appreciate all the additional replies. this is a very helpful forum/community.

If I seem sort of cryptic in my description of the project as a garden scale train park, it is because sometimes being too open about the plan breaks down into "feasibilty" discussions of the plan. Once even being accused of really planning a "meth lab"!

But to be a little more clear, No, not in Arizona, yes it is near the west coast, a 6th scale diorama, which will have a 6th scale train running throughout. the land does have rocks but roads and track are planned to go around much of it negating the need for heavy excavation. the backhoe requirement would be for digging water features, septic, and some small permaculture activities.

At the moment I am in northern Florida where it seems like Deere 310s are everywhere and every grandmother knows what truck has cummins in it. but my understanding is that with a 310, what you see is what you get in terms of implements, whereas with the smaller TLB, the options are crazy. boxscrapes, Harley rakes, augers, etc. so im trying to pick a super flexible tool that might cover me with even unanticipated options. even though smaller than the 310.

As of now, I dont have the option to finance multiple toys, thus my single choice is critical and getting expert advise from you guys is again, very much appreciated.

Being ex Air Force, I visited a couple of civil engineering squadrons posing the same questions and they basically said what you all are saying, so there seems to be enough concensus for me.

It sounds like you guys are in agreement that the M62 is large enough to handle what I would use it for.

Sorry for the super wordy reply.
Just read this.

How many acres will the train park cover? Trying to get some idea of scale. You might even go with a L47 or B26 and save some $$$.

Yes the M62 will handle it. Its kinda like having the power of a normal flow skid steer and tractor/backhoe in one. Amazing machine, if not overkill.

Ikc1990

Equipment
Kubota m125x, m9000, b2710, and other equiptment
Dec 2, 2020
Vermont
If you can afford go with the bigger one. It will be cheaper in the long run than settling for a limited machine or smaller machine and 6 months after using it finding out you have beat it doing what you needed to or having yo trade up and looseing money just my 2cents...

BillyJackson

Equipment
TLB
Nov 21, 2021
USA
Thanks guys! I think golden advice. There were so many ways to skin a cat that I wanted to feel good about my choice. Seen some crazy stuff. implements and 3 point hitches on atv/utv. and surprisingly effective. https://www.wildharemfg.com . friends who swear by skid steers... etc. and finally M62 Vs massey ferguson 2607H..... Anyway, Im feeling like the M62 will be a good choice. Im reading up on an aftermarket cab finally coming available. Thanks to all.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
The M62 is a good choice for an all around machine. It has the ruggedness of a commercial backhoe loader, with the ability to to run implements with the optional 3 point hitch. Those telling you that you can’t do what you want to do with a backhoe tractor, either have no experience operating them or ability. Everyone has become spoiled with excavators. Backhoe operation has become a lost art. With some practice, you will be able to do everything you want to. May take a little longer in some situations, but you will get it done with only 1 machine to own.