Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
IMG_1358.PNG

I have Seri turned off on my Iphone,

IMG_1359.PNG

but Seri still uses a majority of my battery. Soooo....... is it off or on??

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
The first screenshot above shows that I have Seri turned off but....

The second screeenshot shows that Seri still uses the majority of my battery. ???

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
The first screenshot above shows that I have Seri turned off but....

The second screeenshot shows that Seri still uses the majority of my battery. ???
So what's up with that.. no way to really shut it down?

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Yup, that is the way I see it. It's listening all of the time and there seemingly is no way to stop it.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
@Magicman .. thanks for that reminder, been meaning to shut that down since I don't use it anyways.

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
If only you actually knew how ill equipped government is to listen to everyone. No government has the employees and resources to listen to everyone. They focus on suspects.
Government doesn't need people to listen in. Computers flag certain key words or phrases and pass that along to the authorities.

Reactions: 2 users

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
You know, I do not really care who is watching me outside my home.

Aside from speeding I really do not break any laws...and we are really boring people, so anybody watching would soon fall asleep anyway.

SOMETIMES advertisements that appear when surfing actually are interesting. Rarely, but sometimes.

I just figure that the positive is that by watching boring people, the watchers have provided things that benefit me, like google earth, streetview, and web browsers, search tools, free email and so on.

So I say, watch away. OK with me. Just not in my bedroom...but wait, we are over 70 now...bedroom is probably OK too...
I attended a Catholic funeral mass yesterday in a beautiful old country church built in 1924. There I was the first person in attendance as usual and about 20 feet from the confessional and realized how pathetic I had become. I had not done anything worthy of talking about or "confessing" in over 20 years. The last time I was pulled over by the police it was for driving too slowly in what I thought might have been icy conditions. So few can really live like Johnny Cash. Should I laugh or cry ?

Last edited:

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I bought a new F150 recently equipped with LoJack. It tracks the vehicles movements. I told the car salesman that I did not want anyone to know my whereabouts and he could keep it. I told him if someone stole the truck I might be better off. Well it had already been installed and was I think about $800. He knocked it off of the price. When my wife and "Chief technology officer" was setting up the radio and assorted electronic gadgetry she activated my LoJack. I can find "reports" on my movements that only proves how predictable and pathetic I have become. I guess this will make me think long and hard before robbing a bank or Dairy Queen.

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
Well the video in the OP pretty much explains how it's done. A mesh network can formed from WiFi, BT, phones, smart TVs, other IOT devices, from your home as well as homes of others. Only takes a few software switches to turn the mesh on.
What could possibly go wrong??
Alexa can share your bandwidth with your neighbors if they have an Alexa. Nice how that works. Since my neighbor is too far away to even see my WIFi signal, I don't worry about it, but I still mute Alexa when not needing it.

come to think of it, I can't remember the last time I used it.

Reactions: 1 user

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
Noticed no multi quote

I bought a new F150 recently equipped with LoJack. It tracks the vehicles movements. I told the car salesman that I did not want anyone to know my whereabouts and he could keep it. I told him if someone stole the truck I might be better off. Well it had already been installed and was I think about $800. He knocked it off of the price. When my wife and "Chief technology officer" was setting up the radio and assorted electronic gadgetry she activated my LoJack. I can find "reports" on my movements that only proves how predictable and pathetic I have become. I guess this will make me think long and hard before robbing a bank or Dairy Queen.

You don't need Lojack to track the movements, the truck already does that with Fordpass or whatever the latest thing is called. The truck has a built in modem that connects to AT&T networks and updates the "Cloud" with your location. I get notices on my phone when ever I park somewhere. If you never used the Fordpass app, you wouldn't know this. An account is automatically created via the VIN when the truck is sold, and the modem activated. When you go to the MyFord website and create an account or add your new VIN to an existing one, then it gets tied to your account, if you don't the account just sits out there, but still collects data on where you have been.

Same thing with OnStar and whatever it is called for Fiat, and all the rest of the brands out there with infotainment systems and some sort of crash alert protection.

It's for your safety after all.

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
I'm not sure of the current state of the art, but in the mid 90s, I worked with some automotive powertrain calibrators. They mentioned that they were requested to investigate some technology (simple software kill switch) that would allow some law enforcement officer to aim a radar gun like device at the tailpipe. If over some emission limit programmed in this device, the device would signal the ECM switch and car is dead in the water. According to these guys, this was for emissions enforcement.
It could have had many uses.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
The beauty of being a poor working man with no money, I'm not on anybody's radar. LOL

Reactions: 1 users

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Government doesn't need people to listen in. Computers flag certain key words or phrases and pass that along to the authorities.
Yep and someone has to then review that information. The government doesn’t waste time on spying on people who are not suspects for serious crimes.

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
Yeah, but he doesn’t waste his time unless you are a suspected terrorist or cri
I think you're missing the point. It's all monitored. By computers. Programmed to flag certain things for human review. "time" only comes into it once something is flagged.

BTW, pre-crime is on its way thanks to social media: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...nce-technology-voyager?source=techstories.org

By relying on artificial intelligence, the company claims, its software can decipher the meaning and significance of online human behavior, and can determine whether subjects have already committed a crime, may commit a crime or adhere to certain ideologies.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Noticed no multi quote

You don't need Lojack to track the movements, the truck already does that with Fordpass or whatever the latest thing is called. The truck has a built in modem that connects to AT&T networks and updates the "Cloud" with your location. I get notices on my phone when ever I park somewhere. If you never used the Fordpass app, you wouldn't know this. An account is automatically created via the VIN when the truck is sold, and the modem activated. When you go to the MyFord website and create an account or add your new VIN to an existing one, then it gets tied to your account, if you don't the account just sits out there, but still collects data on where you have been.

Same thing with OnStar and whatever it is called for Fiat, and all the rest of the brands out there with infotainment systems and some sort of crash alert protection.

It's for your safety after all.
I have a newish ford and it has fordpass. There is no modem in the car to make fordpass work. Not everyone who has fordpass showing in the infotainment center will actually have the modem. The modem is needed for realtime information sharing. Some of the Mustang'ers have actually removed their modems for this very reason. There are upsides to keeping it though, including using the fordpass app to start/stop the car, roll the winders down, turn the heat or a/c on or off, etc. remotely.

your cellphone (if apple product) has a setting called "significant locations". If you have it turned on, it will track where you park, and it will set up "significant locations"-such that if you go to those places often, the phone will automatically tell you how far it is to that location and how long to get there at that time of day. I got a new phone recently with it turned on. It knows when I'm headed to work since I go there every single day except sunday. When I get up in the morning and turn the car on, it says "23 min to [location] take highway whatever, traffic is light". Then when I get there, it says "your vehicle's location has been updated". You can turn this setting off.

But.....

if you have a phone, you can be tracked. My brother got lost in the deer woods a couple years ago. Him and his buddy were hunting, they got separated, his buddy got back to the truck but my brother didn't show up. Dummy sat in the truck for several hours and finally called me, told me he's lost, or for some reason didn't show up at the truck a few hours prior. So anyway, I tried calling his phone. Never rang, directly to voicemail box. Figured no signal. I called the county mounties and told them what was up, and they sent a deputy out to look. Well...I got a call about 30 min later, that they were able to ping his phone and find him. Battery was totally dead, but apparently not dead enough to completely quit. So yes, if someone wanted to know your whereabouts, if you have a cellphone, you'd be easy to find.

now I don't have anything to hide, so I left significant locations turned on. One reason, I'm aging and I find myself getting nervous about finding my vehicle in a parking lot of 1000+ cars. Plus if there's an accident, or heaven forbid I have a health concern while driving, it does make things a little easier.

when I mentioned the irs, I can say that they'll find you, and find anything they want to know about you if they want to, and they don't need your permission to do so-nor a court order. They just do it, and there's nothing you can do about it. Pretty much what happened in my 'case'. They show up and did their raid. While some of the agents were detaining employees, I had my eyes on each one of them not knowing yet who they were (they didn't identify themselves until about an hour or so into the raid). They attached some kind of devices to the landlines. They attached some kind of devices to the computers as well, and an agent searched each computer for stuff that they could use against us. personal cellphones were confiscated and they had something to look into those as well. In the end, they used social media records, emails, phone call records (including actual conversations) against the owners of the business. Nobody ever gave them any consent to search; they don't need it. The business owners were the ones they were after, but 10 of the employees got grilled the same way, as if we are guilty. I still have nightmares; and this raid happened 10 years ago.

It's unfortunate that we voted the people in, that choose to treat the people who voted them in, as criminals. In some cases that's legit, but in our case (12 of us) it was uncalled for. It was an attack on convervatives; of which that administration was found guilty of, yet to my knowledge nothing was ever done, and not one of the victims got anything, not even an "I'm sorry". For that reason, and many more, I cannot support them.

But anyway, yes, if they (or anyone) wants to know where you are, you're easily found. OH--this reminds me, "they" want to try out a pilot program that tracks your driving miles and possibly habits, in order to tax you per mile driven. With EV's they don't use gasoline, so they pay no gas tax, so they're already figuring out how to dupe them. That begs the question, what is the planned method of tracking miles, and what else are they tracking? And because of that, and my personal loss of certain government groups' credibility, I can't support that technology. Similarly, PoCo's tracking your electric usage and in some cases gas usage. What else are they tracking? Are they profiling you? Who is buying the information and what are they doing with it?

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Yep, they are looking for terrorists, foreign and domestic. Most of us are too boring and government doesn’t give a rip what you do.

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
Yep, they are looking for terrorists, foreign and domestic. Most of us are too boring and government doesn’t give a rip what you do.
The DOJ was directed to investigate parents who objected to certain curriculum in the schools. The parents were labeled domestic terrorists.
The crime was speaking out their greviances.

Reactions: 1 users

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
The DOJ was directed to investigate parents who objected to certain curriculum in the schools. The parents were labeled domestic terrorists.
The crime was speaking out their greviances.
They were investigating people who threatened school board members. No parent has the right to threaten people.

Last edited: