What does everyone collect or do for a hobby?

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
I’ve watched this on YouTube lol. It’s very cool! Never paid attention to what it was called lol. It looks hard though
It's easy to get on the ice and play. It's hard to get really good at it.
I'm surprised there aren't more clubs in NJ to be honest. Probably some that aren't associated with USA curling or something.
It's great, give it a shot.

Reactions: 1 user

tractorX

Equipment
KUBOTA L2501 DT 5' BOX BLADE 42" FORKS PIRANHA TB 5' BUSH HOG 6' GRADER
Sep 27, 2013
Rock Spring GA.
Nice! I wouldn’t say i “collect” comic books, but i have Hundreds of them. Inherited, flea finds, yard sales and what not. Never even went through them or anything. But super awesome man 💪🏻 Nice gun collection too 👌🏻
thanks man! yeah, won't forget the day my boy called and told me he found the 1st appearance of the wolverine in my collection. a CDC grade 9 recently went for ~ 150k 😵
his edition isn't a grade 9, but even a grade 4-5 could bring (on a good day) ~5-10k.
who knows, you might be setting on a pot gold?!

• Love

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Since it's almost Veteran's Day, I'll say "A most sincere THANK YOU" to all the past and present service members for their service! From grand parents on down in our family, I think there are vets from each branch of service except for the new Space Force.

I had been collecting/acquiring different varieties of WWII rifles and some pistols and over time they added up to needing a secure place for them all, and their ammo and other goodies. One safe wouldn't do it. Hmmm?

I was a relay tech at a power company and we were replacing and discarding and older style of relay panels that housed all the protective relaying in our substations. That gave me an idea to make some gun safes and honor the relatives that had served in each branch of service. Here's what a bare relay panel looked like:
Old Relay Panel.jpg
I cut them up (you can see some of the cut panels leaning against my shop OH door in the background) and re shaped them into six safes. Each being slowly finished for each branch of service as time permits. S&G locks from Govt. takeoffs refurbished and installed. Handles made from odds and ends. New doors and locking mechanisms fabricated. The Navy safe "wheel handle" was actually a rough cast brass transformer tap changer handle that was sanded, polished, and still needs some more work. You might spot the Flaming Bomb insignia in the round wheels center. Here's some pics of the Navy safe in progress and two others:
Under Construction_Navy.JPG Navy Safe.jpg Flaming Bomb.jpg Army Safe.jpg USMC Safe.jpg
I'm still looking for the right sized brass/bronze service emblems (of the old style) that I can mount under the brass letters. The brass letters were cut out of some 1/8" brass plate and hand polished. Same for the "Flaming Bomb" addition on top of the Army combination lock. Some still need some more work. The other three safes are roughed out and put together but still need to be finished in the Air Force, Coast Guard, and now the Space Force layout. Hopefully there won't be more branches added before I'm done with these!

One of the two sons became a civil engineer. He had talked of wanting a safe, but a smaller one for his use. On the sly, for his graduation, I had fabbed up a smaller version and finished it off in his North Dakota State University colors/logo and with a civil engineering decor on the door emblem. NDSU Bison logo for the front feet. An NDSU golf marker inset into the T handle. I didn't take very good pics of it, but here's the results:
NDSU Civil Engineering Safe.JPG NDSU Bison Feet.JPG Making Brass Safe Letters.JPG Bison Golf Marker Safe Handle.JPG
There's a story behind brass letters I also cut out for his safe but that's for a later date, or another post in this thread. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 6 users

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Since it's almost Veteran's Day, I'll say "A most sincere THANK YOU" to all the past and present service members for their service! From grand parents on down in our family, I think there are vets from each branch of service except for the new Space Force.

I had been collecting/acquiring different varieties of WWII rifles and some pistols and over time they added up to needing a secure place for them all, and their ammo and other goodies. One safe wouldn't do it. Hmmm?

I was a relay tech at a power company and we were replacing and discarding and older style of relay panels that housed all the protective relaying in our substations. That gave me an idea to make some gun safes and honor the relatives that had served in each branch of service. Here's what a bare relay panel looked like:
View attachment 69363
I cut them up (you can see some of the cut panels leaning against my shop OH door in the background) and re shaped them into six safes. Each being slowly finished for each branch of service as time permits. S&G locks from Govt. takeoffs refurbished and installed. Handles made from odds and ends. New doors and locking mechanisms fabricated. The Navy safe "wheel handle" was actually a rough cast brass transformer tap changer handle that was sanded, polished, and still needs some more work. You might spot the Flaming Bomb insignia in the round wheels center. Here's some pics of the Navy safe in progress and two others:
View attachment 69364 View attachment 69365 View attachment 69366 View attachment 69367 View attachment 69368
I'm still looking for the right sized brass/bronze service emblems (of the old style) that I can mount under the brass letters. The brass letters were cut out of some 1/8" brass plate and hand polished. Same for the "Flaming Bomb" addition on top of the Army combination lock. Some still need some more work. The other three safes are roughed out and put together but still need to be finished in the Air Force, Coast Guard, and now the Space Force layout. Hopefully there won't be more branches added before I'm done with these!

One of the two sons became a civil engineer. He had talked of wanting a safe, but a smaller one for his use. On the sly, for his graduation, I had fabbed up a smaller version and finished it off in his North Dakota State University colors/logo and with a civil engineering decor on the door emblem. NDSU Bison logo for the front feet. An NDSU golf marker inset into the T handle. I didn't take very good pics of it, but here's the results:
View attachment 69369 View attachment 69370 View attachment 69371 View attachment 69372
There's a story behind brass letters I also cut out for his safe but that's for a later date, or another post in this thread. :ROFLMAO:
You never fail to impress 😀.

Reactions: 3 users

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Ok. I'll play too. 😁

Bar.JPG

• Love

murph1068

Equipment
bx25d
Sep 6, 2016
Willowgrove PA
I'm into Harley Sportsters from the 50's and 60's. Toss in the Honda I rode back in high school, and a 68 FLH and a K Model.
IMG_20210627_123615781.jpg
IMG_20210714_204936796.jpg
IMG_20210329_193712657.jpg
IMG_20210714_204848977.jpg
IMG_20210714_204904764.jpg
IMG_20160126_172022813.jpg
[/QUOTE]

• Love
Reactions: 11 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Since I retired about the only thing I collect now is bills

• Haha

RichardAaronlx2610

Equipment
Lx2610 Cab, Fel, Backhoe, Grapple, Box Grader, Forks
Aug 3, 2021
New Jersey
It's easy to get on the ice and play. It's hard to get really good at it.
I'm surprised there aren't more clubs in NJ to be honest. Probably some that aren't associated with USA curling or something.
It's great, give it a shot.
thats awesome man, with four little ones running around i dont Have much time for hobbies that are outside without kids lol

RichardAaronlx2610

Equipment
Aug 3, 2021
New Jersey
thanks man! yeah, won't forget the day my boy called and told me he found the 1st appearance of the wolverine in my collection. a CDC grade 9 recently went for ~ 150k 😵
his edition isn't a grade 9, but even a grade 4-5 could bring (on a good day) ~5-10k.
Gotta love that!

can't complain about that one!

RichardAaronlx2610

Equipment
Aug 3, 2021
New Jersey

Attachments

RichardAaronlx2610

Equipment
Aug 3, 2021
New Jersey

RichardAaronlx2610

Equipment
Aug 3, 2021
New Jersey
I'm into Harley Sportsters from the 50's and 60's. Toss in the Honda I rode back in high school, and a 68 FLH and a K Model. View attachment 69413 View attachment 69414 View attachment 69415 View attachment 69416 View attachment 69417 View attachment 69418
[/QUOTE]

love it man! I have A 56 k model.

View attachment 69363
View attachment 69364 View attachment 69365 View attachment 69366 View attachment 69367 View attachment 69368

View attachment 69369 View attachment 69370 View attachment 69371 View attachment 69372
badass!! They are cool man!

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Here's another interest of mine, although good deals are getting harder to find these days. Here's a few pics of some sirens and Klaxons I've restored. I've done a few sirens for other members in our ND Military vehicle club too, but I don't have or couldn't find any pics of them at the moment. The beer can in the pic is for size comparisons.

My Federal Q2B, Federal 77G double tone, and a small Model O sirens:
Federal 77G_ Q2B _ O sirens.jpg

My Federal 66G double tone mounted on my '48 Willys Jeep: This one really growls!!
Federal 66G Double Tone Siren.jpg

My two Navy Submarine Klaxons (Dive! Dive!) and a Navy tender boat manual Klaxon:
Navy Submarine Klaxons.JPG

Two WWII hand crank air raid sirens and a mounted Japanese air raid siren. The small hand held Japanese siren (wood handles) is much less quality than the US Federal hand crank air raid siren. The US siren has quite a gear train within the housing and also an overrunning clutch system.
WWII Air Raid Sirens.JPG

And my big boy! A Federal 5AT double tone civil defense warning siren. 7 1/2 HP but 3 Phase voltage required. The price of VFD's keeps coming down so I'm hoping soon to purchase one and set it up to run this monster. The "growl" from this beast should be audible for miles around with it's 18 inch diameter rotor. LOL! The one plan to somewhat disguise it is to mount it on top of the small grain bin on the site here. I'm thinking it would be a perfect fit and I could always claim that I can't help it if my aerator fan howls like a siren. Must be a bad bearing! LOL! That's a 5 gallon pail beside it for reference. I've completely restored the motor with new bearings, re insulated it, paint, etc. It just needs a power source.
This winter I'll have to restore the outer housing for it.
5AT Siren Housing.jpg Federal 5AT Siren.JPG 5AT Double Tone Siren.JPG 18 Inch Rotor.JPG Butler Bin.JPG

There's also a few Federal model 28 sirens in boxes and soaking with penetrating oil. Some disassemble easily. Others are a real pain to remove clutch and bearings.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

RichardAaronlx2610

Equipment
Aug 3, 2021
New Jersey
Here's another interest of mine, although good deals are getting harder to find these days. Here's a few pics of some sirens and Klaxons I've restored. I've done a few sirens for other members in our ND Military vehicle club too, but I don't have or couldn't find any pics of them at the moment. The beer can in the pic is for size comparisons.

My Federal Q2B, Federal 77G double tone, and a small Model O sirens:
View attachment 69491

My Federal 66G double tone mounted on my '48 Willys Jeep: This one really growls!!
View attachment 69492

My two Navy Submarine Klaxons (Dive! Dive!) and a Navy tender boat manual Klaxon:
View attachment 69493

Two WWII hand crank air raid sirens and a mounted Japanese air raid siren. The small hand held Japanese siren (wood handles) is much less quality than the US Federal hand crank air raid siren. The US siren has quite a gear train within the housing and also an overrunning clutch system.
View attachment 69494

And my big boy! A Federal 5AT double tone civil defense warning siren. 7 1/2 HP but 3 Phase voltage required. The price of VFD's keeps coming down so I'm hoping soon to purchase one and set it up to run this monster. The "growl" from this beast should be audible for miles around with it's 18 inch diameter rotor. LOL! The one plan to somewhat disguise it is to mount it on top of the small grain bin on the site here. I'm thinking it would be a perfect fit and I could always claim that I can't help it if my aerator fan howls like a siren. Must be a bad bearing! LOL! That's a 5 gallon pail beside it for reference. I've completely restored the motor with new bearings, re insulated it, paint, etc. It just needs a power source.
This winter I'll have to restore the outer housing for it.
View attachment 69495 View attachment 69497 View attachment 69496 View attachment 69498 View attachment 69499

There's also a few Federal model 28 sirens in boxes and soaking with penetrating oil. Some disassemble easily. Others are a real pain to remove clutch and bearings.
They are awesome man! I saw several old sirens at the car show i just Went to last week It was called the Fleming’s Junkyard Pumpkin Run. Not sure if you ever saw it on the tv or not. It’s huge. It’s been on the my classic car show. Has a swap meet packed with goodies.
As for that monster you have, can you run that on a phase converter?

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
If you need more sirens for your collection, I have a bunch that I would gladly sell you. I used to buy them for John Dorgan of Arizona and when he died suddenly, I was left with a lot of sirens needing restoration. I sold a bunch of Q's at fall Carlisle and was planning on bringing some more down in the spring. Shipping is the expensive part of moving these today.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
They are awesome man! I saw several old sirens at the car show i just Went to last week It was called the Fleming’s Junkyard Pumpkin Run. Not sure if you ever saw it on the tv or not. It’s huge. It’s been on the my classic car show. Has a swap meet packed with goodies.
As for that monster you have, can you run that on a phase converter?
Thanks! I looked up the "Flemings Pumpkin Run". Pumpkin Run (flemingspumpkinrun.com)
Lookes like a great place to visit when I get out east again.

Re phase converter: Yes, a phase converter if large enough would run that big siren. But they're big and bulky. The new VFDs (Variable Frequency Drive) are the digital electronic version of those old phase converters and a very nice way to run 3 phase equipment off of normal 1 phase (house) power. And the price of them keeps dropping where it's just about in my price range to hear that old siren howl again. :ROFLMAO:
It had been sitting in a shed in Wisconsin for who knows how long when we bought some other equipment from the shed's owner. He made another sale and the siren came home with me. The large rotor was seized up on the motor shaft and partially to the outer drum with the minute clearances involved. But after a lot of penetrating oil and other wizardry it finally let loose and the rest was easy. When it's operational again....I'll have to post a video.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
If you need more sirens for your collection, I have a bunch that I would gladly sell you. I used to buy them for John Dorgan of Arizona and when he died suddenly, I was left with a lot of sirens needing restoration. I sold a bunch of Q's at fall Carlisle and was planning on bringing some more down in the spring. Shipping is the expensive part of moving these today.
Hi Dusty, Thanks for the offer! Depending on what you have....it might be hard to pass up another project or two....or three...
Do you have a list of the ones you have left? I still would like to find a B&M Superchief siren. And there could be some members of our military vehicle club that would like a siren ....... such as the model 28s, smaller "O"s, etc. At your convenience, if you'd like....send me a list of what you have and what you might need for some of them.
Regards,
David

I didn't know John Dorgan but had emailed him a couple of times with questions many many years ago. He was always kind enough to answer back with his knowledge and help. Known as the "Siren Man" he was what I call a "Gentleman's Gentleman".

Reactions: 1 users

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Been playing/collecting since I was 9. A couple of my 'prized' ones.

Not sure if there are any Rush fans out there, but the Red Les Paul is a signature Alex Lifeson.

Attachments

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Been playing/collecting since I was 9. A couple of my 'prized' ones.

Not sure if there are any Rush fans out there, but the Red Les Paul is a signature Alex Lifeson.
Awesome. At one time I had about a dozen guitars. Nothing worth any $$.....my favorite...long gone, was a Gibson Les Paul Sunburst clone by (I think, I am not 100% sure) Ibanez??. That was 40 yrs ago ! (looked a lot like your sunburst)

Reactions: 2 users

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
View attachment 68822
The home place. Our house is the upper, my grandparents lived across the road, tho they passed before I was old enough to really remember them.
Im a Google Earth nut. When someone mentions a place I like to go and look. Anyway, best I can match up here it is today...

Attachments